The DEA Awarded a Contract to Retrofit License Plate Readers into Speed Signs

I'm just gonna walk up to these and put some electrical tape on the lens. If they mount the camera high then I'll just throw a rock at it until it breaks. Don't need the stress of having to worry about getting a speeding ticket in the mail.

note to self, do not associate with anyone whom think's it's OK to destroy other people's property....

I totally support this because I have nothing to hide from Big Brother nor do I give a fuck about criminals, speeders or whiny bitches. OMFG they know I'm going to work! Ohhh no, now they know I'm driving home from work....

Reactions: Creig
like this
I totally support this because I have nothing to hide from Big Brother nor do I give a fuck about criminals, speeders or whiny bitches. OMFG they know I'm going to work! Ohhh no, now they know I'm driving home from work....
So you support this until they find some nit picky thing that you did and choose to fine/arrest you for it.....its the boil the frog effect, implement things slowly so no one notices until you are pretty much turned into a slave to them. That's why people want to oppose these things.

Edited: For the horrible last sentence.... fixed now

Last edited:
Will criminals steal more plates to replace theirs? Or the entire car?

I know they could do that in a city before going out there but they might hit some rural ones.

And I assume the DEA won't share plate 123XYZ being logged 100 miles away while the owner is some grandma who can't drive to the store without getting pulled over by police or highway patrol.

Ahh the police State moves one step closer to fruition. It's ok I mean who needs privacy, if you didn't do anything wrong you have nothing to hide right ?

So you support this until they find some nit picky thing that you did and choose to fine/arrest you for it.....its the boil the frog effect, implement things slowly so no one notices until you are pretty much turned into a slave to them. They why people what to appose these things.

More than that wait, till we have a fucking social credit score like China (it's coming believe me). Oh! you were going 3 over in a school zone tsk tsk bad citizen, now you can't have that home loan on the house in district 17 you wanted; because that zone is only for people with a 700+ score I am afraid you only qualify for zone 8 or lower, you know near the open air waste dump with all the other undesirables.

Meh. I don't subscribe to the "Chicken Little Sky is Falling" theory of license plate readers. How many people who have had their license revoked for drunk driving are repeat offenders? How many repeat offenders have killed others in crashes? How many people out there with an arrest warrant are still driving around? A plate reader could instantly flag a notice to police that a vehicle registered to someone who has had their license revoked (or is wanted) where, when and in what direction they were driving. And before someone talks about swapping plates, I think it should be possible to have the software recognize the color of the vehicle and silhouette to check if the plate matches the vehicle description. If it doesn't, it notifies the police. And a vehicle with no plate at all? Police. Stolen car? Police. Amber alert vehicle? Police. Suspect vehicle plate/description? Police.

I think the benefits definitely outweigh the cons here. The government doesn't care what time you go to work, come home, go to the grocery store, etc. They're looking for criminals. They don't have the resources or personnel to keep track of the daily habits of every John and Jane Doe in America. Average law abiding citizens bore them stupid.

I have always used those little speed signs to see how fast i can go.. hoping i will will something if i am the fastest

doesnt everyone else?

:p

So you support this until they find some nit picky thing that you did and choose to fine/arrest you for it.....its the boil the frog effect, implement things slowly so no one notices until you are pretty much turned into a slave to them. That's why people want to oppose these things.

Edited: For the horrible last sentence.... fixed now

Agreed.

There have been some papers and studies on how many times a week a "normal" person breaks the law, without knowing or thinking about it. However people are not there to know or care about it, or it's something a normal cop/person would not bother with (or know about), but the law is on the books. Automate those systems however for every occurrence and it becomes a totally different story. To the point it could really effect or ruin a persons life.

That's right, they know you're not home. Perfect time to go confiscate your firearms. Enjoy...

There are so many ways this information can be used and abused. And wait until the hacks that let all this info in the hands of criminals. So much easier to rob you when they can be sure you're two states over.

That's right, they know you're not home. Perfect time to go confiscate your firearms. Enjoy...

There are so many ways this information can be used and abused. And wait until the hacks that let all this info in the hands of criminals. So much easier to rob you when they can be sure you're two states over.
I think you're just worried that they might sneak into your house while you're away and steal your tinfoil hat.

I think you're just worried that they might sneak into your house while you're away and steal your tinfoil hat.

Lol good one. I'm not suggesting this is going to happen tomorrow but the slow erosion of civil liberties is a slippery slope.

Lol good one. I'm not suggesting this is going to happen tomorrow but the slow erosion of civil liberties is a slippery slope.
And I completely agree. We do need to be diligent when regarding the ramifications of new policies and technologies in regard to government. But looking through most of the responses here, you'd think this was some sort of anti-government conspiracy site based in China. The government has way too many more important things to deal with than studying the daily movements of ordinary citizens looking for something to charge them with. They simply don't have the resources, personnel or time to go that far down their "To Do" list. And if they can use plate/vehicle recognition technology to catch drunk drivers, car thieves, wanted criminals, etc. then good. If proof is later revealed that the government is misusing the data, then we can deal with it at that point. But we can't stop technological progress simply because it might be misused. That's idiotic.

Back