cageymaru

Fully [H]
D-Link has announced the release of its new 5G gateway. The DWR-2010 is a 5G NR Enhanced Gateway that provides 5G internet connectivity through an 802.11ac/n wireless network. This allows users access to internet speeds 10 times faster than the current LTE standard. The device showcases its multi-Gigabit Ethernet port by allowing for super high-speed connections to wired devices. When users connect to the device they can transfer data at speeds in the Gbps range. The device is compatible with Wi-Fi Mesh technology from D-Link which makes expanding the network over large areas easy. Optional Bluetooth Low energy (BLE), Zigbee, and Z-Wave are available to suit other network needs.

The DWR-2010 also offers customization options for service providers, making it suitable for deployment on a range of network configurations. It features an embedded 5G NR (New Radio) NSA module and can operate on the sub-6 GHz or mmWave frequencies in 200 MHz (2 x 100 MHz) or 800 MHz (8 x 100 MHz) configurations. TR-069 and FOTA support allow easy remote management by service providers.

This is my concern.

That 5G is going to do away with traditional wired network connectivity.

I hope this never comes to pass.

I LIKE having a wired local network with a single public IP hard lined to my house, where I control the LAN behind my firewall.

D-Link (I like to call them Dead-Link) only stays in business because they often are the cheapest gear around. Naturally, their quality reflects that. I can't ever recommend their gear to anyone, especially wireless gear.

This is my concern.

That 5G is going to do away with traditional wired network connectivity.

I hope this never comes to pass.

I LIKE having a wired local network with a single public IP hard lined to my house, where I control the LAN behind my firewall.
Wired networks aren't going anywhere – still need them for data transmission in metal buildings and similar obstructions, and some people don't have neighbors 15ft away to build a mesh network with. Besides, you wouldn't want your printer or file server on a public mesh network anyway.

So to be clear, is this something that receives a 5G signal from say, Verizon, then shares it into my house as 802.11ac??

So to be clear, is this something that receives a 5G signal from say, Verizon, then shares it into my house as 802.11ac??

Essentially yes, according to this article;

https://hothardware.com/news/d-link-dwr-2010-router-next-gen-5g-connectivity
D-Link is ready on the hardware side with a new high-speed 5G NR Enhanced Gateway (DWR-2010), which is essentially a router that taps into mobile 5G networks to deliver Wi-Fi connectivity to household devices.
Read more at https://hothardware.com/news/d-link-dwr-2010-router-next-gen-5g-connectivity#8OSZ065GWmogPqKs.99

Back