The countown to my CCIE lab has began today (Passed CCIE Written!)

just2cool

Gawd
930/1000.

I didn't think it was that bad, honestly, I thought it was almost fun. Mind you, there were quite a few times where I was thinking "Why the $%#@%#@ did they ask this?" Time and time again during the exam, all my practical experience and lab work paid off, but talking with xphil3, this probably hurts me now for the lab, which is muchhhhhhhh worse than the written.

Preparation was very intense since November 2008. I read LAN switching, both Doyle routing books, multicast book, part of the QoS book and read the cert guide twice. Also, from the cert guide, I practically memorized the appendix at the end that lists all the tables from every chapter (read that on the subway all the time haha :D). In addition, if some of you read http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1372523, you would know that I have a kick ass environment to learn on, where I'm doing Cisco stuff nearlly 40/5+ at work. I also built several multicast labs, IPv6 labs, MPLS labs, and anything else I wasn't very comfortable with.

It's definitely a load of my shoulders. I know, though, that this isn't the peak of the mountain. I wish xphil3 the best of luck in his lab coming up soon. I don't think I'm ready to take a stab at it yet... sometime in 2010.... which means I'll be taking version 4.

For anyone going for it, without breaking the NDA, I'll tell you this much. You REALLY need to be able to look at a topology and know exactly what the route table looks like, as well as any thing special about that route. Basically, you almost need to be running SPF or DUAL in your head :D. If you can do that, and you're fairly comfortable with everything on the blueprint.. you'll pass no problem.

Oh, and one thing to note that's kind of ironic. After all this, I still don't have any cert to show for it. That'll give me motivation for the lab I'm hoping.

Thanks for all the support guys (especially those who post weird cisco problems)

congrats!

Izm still putting off my CCNP...work wants me to go more server oriented now . . .
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Congrats man. Good luck with the studying for the lab. I'm reading the Doyle Vol1 book while I ride the train to work. I find the Professional Development books better than the cert library for some reason. Yeah I only have my NA and the Doyle book is IE level, but the Routing TCP/IP books are pretty easy reads and chock full of info.

Yeah, Doyle writes good stuff. Routing Vol1/2 are very good books, who cares if they're "CCIE level" -- they explain the routing protocols to such an indepth degree. Yet, like you said, it's surprisingly easy to follow. Why not use the best materials? :)

As for the cert guides, CCIE Cert Guide Vol3 is ok, but there are a lot of typos in it. Maybe Vol4 will have less? (You'd think they'd be fixed by Vol3 now though)

I'm past the intro stuff and I really want an indepth understanding of the routing protocols. I keep trying to continue reading the BSCI book as I study for it, but it's pretty dull and I just can't get into it. There's quite a few typos and errors, which I guess is good that I recognize the errors, but really makes me not trust the book as much.

I'm doing the Bryant stuff for BSCI which I used for CCNA and it's decent enough, although if I hear CCIE number 12933 anymore I might pull my hair out. I figure if I can get through those videos, the two Doyle books, and the lab portfolio that should be plenty to pass, and most likely overkill for BSCI. :)

Either way, good luck and keep posting your progress and your pitfalls and experiences. I enjoy reading about it and it helps keep me on track for getting to the same level some of you guys are already at.

That's how I started -- sick of the intro stuff. Most of that comes from my degree I guess -- I would have to break everything down into binary usually. I always want to know the full picture.

Just printed the v4 lab blueprint today... ugh. No earlier than 2010 for sure haha.

You should read the Doyle books if they make sense to you. Even if it's overkill, it will make the exam that much easier. Just keep at it and keep everything up there in your brain... that's the hard part.

Congrats Man!!

I'm planning on taking my written by October. Still have tons to read though. (I was really hoping to have my CCIE by the time I'm 25 (Jan), but I don't think that s going to happen.)

Back