The Countdown To A Revolution In SSDs Has Begun

If this kind of hype helps increase demand for NVMe, along with bringing down the prices quickly, good.

Intel? Meh. Can't support 'em. Will wait for Samsung to do NVMe or else a Marvell-based drive.

Jeebus. Intel just got "best place to work" award, partly due to it's diversity. Not sure how they are the only sexist technology company out there either. Sounds bitter.

Maybe this will be something so fantastic that it will earn Intel another highlighted entry point here.

Zarathustra[H];1041503775 said:
So, the site is by intel.

Let me guess.

A gimped consumer version of the SSD DC P3700 with full NVMe support, optimized for consumer workloads?

shhhh...the lemmings will hear.

This is definitely a drive that our new resident SSD guru needs to review. Personally, I think this is the first of several game changing solid state drives to come out this year. I wonder if you could see the difference in a boot drive that reads 1500 MB's per second and writes 1000 MB's per second? That's the question that most interests me.

Jeebus. Intel just got "best place to work" award, partly due to it's diversity. Not sure how they are the only sexist technology company out there either. Sounds bitter.

Most "diversity initiatives" are useless but harmless. FemFreq is literally a hate group. Supporting them is just as bad as supporting, say, the Westboro Baptist Church.

Caching was a good spot for me when SSDs were too expensive and I already had the spinning disks. I honestly didn't expect much, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Once the system has been used enough to get the cache going it's real pleasant experience.

A 512GB SSD for 140 bucks... nope.

For a little over 200 bucks... yes

(http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-I...F8&qid=1427228180&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+evo)

Obviously it's personal opinion here, as many of the posts here go to either side. Workload and timing is the key to the choice made. There's not a wrong answer, and I always try to pick people's brains because I'm curious.

I used to be in this camp too, but my opinion is slowly changing as caching methods mature. So far my desktop with 2TB drive + 128G sad has worked very well with bcache.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I used to be in this camp too, but my opinion is slowly changing as caching methods mature. So far my desktop with 2TB drive + 128G sad has worked very well with bcache.

I recently built a rig for my stepson where the boot drive is a 1TB WD Blue with a 64GB Patriot SSD as the cache drive using bcache.

(It was a "build from whatever I have kicking around, and this is what I had kicking around)

Honestly I was a little bit disappointed. I couldn't really tell the difference with or without bcache.

I'm still sold that the way to go is having a relatively small SSD for OS, installed programs and games and mass data storage on traditional hard drives is the way to go, it's just that I've moved those traditional hard drives to my server instead of keeping them locally.

Most of my recent builds have anywhere from 64GB to 256GB SSD's and link via the network to my 48TB NAS Server in the basement for all other storage.

SSD loaded with super capacitors, flash chips boasting of 10 GB/s speeds (GigaBytes!), one or two order of magnitudes improved latency, an onboard octocore i7 CPU w/ HT to help with offloading processing of command queues, solar panel kit for solar powered SSDs, an RJ-45 10Gbit ethernet port on the circuit board of the SSD for direct network connectivity?

So uh, I watched the countdown hit zero and the page was removed (404 error). Since then I haven't seen or heard of any revolutionary-in-SSD-technology news. :confused:

Great, more SSDs that are very expensive. :p The day we won't have to use HDDs in edition to our SSDs without spending 1/3 of our PC budget the SSDs will truly be a great day.

Zarathustra[H];1041503775 said:
So, the site is by intel.

Let me guess.

A gimped consumer version of the SSD DC P3700 with full NVMe support, optimized for consumer workloads?

So, is this where I get to say I called it? :p

When the 1TB drives start going for under $100, then I will care. Until then, smaller SSD's for boot and main applications and hard drives for everything else is all that is needed.

When the 1TB drives start going for under $100, then I will care. Until then, smaller SSD's for boot and main applications and hard drives for everything else is all that is needed.

That's okay except where smaller devices are concerned. Because tiny stuff including desktops and computer-on-a-stick stuff is taking over the market, there really isn't a lot of interior space for mechanical drives. I just don't see that trend really changing in the future either because very few people really want to have a big, clunky full tower desktop or even a micro-ATX system. Even gaming boxes are moving into the NUC-ish form factor so late adopters and laggards in the tech industry like PC gamers are catching up with the rest of the computing world slowly.

I am just curious if the next generation of boards will have more slots for PCIe - It would be nice to have 4 hds and 2 graphics cards running at full bandwidth over PCI-e 3.

Laptops and small computers (ex. Gigabyte Brix) can't take a PCI-E card. This is hardly a revolution. :D

Maybe it's a SSD with a clear case.

Or one that spins around in your computer at 7200 RPM.

Or a hybrid SSD with a built in 5.25" floppy drive.

Laptops and small computers (ex. Gigabyte Brix) can't take a PCI-E card. This is hardly a revolution. :D

To be fair laptops never have the latest shit till way late. Sooner or later they will get it or some standard. Remember that 3.5 inch hard drives didn't fit in laptops either. Revolutions don't start in laptops because laptops suck.

Back