"The Controversial Gun Motherboard": Gigabyte G1 Assassin Lga2011 4-Chan Memory Support Rare Motherboards X79 Chipset

erek

[H]F Junkie
1643415742030.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115226281226?hash=item1ad405850a:g:HccAAOSwXqJh9Czk

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I reviewed one of these back in the day. I don't remember them being controversial at all at the time. It was more like "WTF was GIGABYTE thinking?" It seemed gimmicky more than anything. It was a great board and didn't need to leverage that kind of nonsense.

I loved mine except for the boot loop issue it had. I really dig the green and black combo.

Remember this one?

The documentation actually had a disclaimer that the part (magazine and round) was not real and not designed to be inserted into a firearm! LOL

View attachment 438170
I remember that one.

My issue with these is that they had some weird issues with some USB keyboards being recognized in the BIOS. I had to keep a USB to PS/2 adapter on hand for a lot of boards but the GIGABYTE offerings were particularly awful about needing them.

So recently controversial now means that in 2015 New Zealand destroyed one, literally one that was being loaded via aircraft that they didn't investigate further? There's no collectability to be found here, just a mediocre at best x79 board.

ehwhild schtuff! never seen any of these before (and I wish I hadn't lol)

The big bang ii was a pretty solid board, picked one up a few years ago. That gigabyte one in the OP however is pretty mediocre it doesn't even have 4 pcie slots.

Wasn't controversial at the time. Kinda gimmicky, but everyone had lots of gimmicky "gamer" themes back then whether it was the XFX door hangers, EVGA posters, etc.

Wasn't controversial at the time. Kinda gimmicky, but everyone had lots of gimmicky "gamer" themes back then whether it was the XFX door hangers, EVGA posters, etc.
That was my point earlier. No one ever brought up the Second Amendment or gun control as a result of these motherboards that I ever saw. It was something that was thought to be a gimmick at the time and nothing more. There were all kinds of military themed products back then. The TUF series had some OD green stuff and ASUS managed to get matching RAM, cases and all kinds of things made to compliment the theme. There were even artic camo boards and all kinds of shit. It all felt very cheesy at the time but in retrospect, at least companies took some fucking chances with the aesthetics of their products.

That was my point earlier. No one ever brought up the Second Amendment or gun control as a result of these motherboards that I ever saw. It was something that was thought to be a gimmick at the time and nothing more. There were all kinds of military themed products back then. The TUF series had some OD green stuff and ASUS managed to get matching RAM, cases and all kinds of things made to compliment the theme. There were even artic camo boards and all kinds of shit. It all felt very cheesy at the time but in retrospect, at least companies took some fucking chances with the aesthetics of their products.
Yeah the Asus tuf Z170S is a pretty good looking board imo.

Yeah military themes were definitely popular. Corsair I remember also had a case that was military green or desert sand color that opened like an ammo box. I remember the power button looking like a nuke launcher.

Yeah military themes were definitely popular. Corsair I remember also had a case that was military green or desert sand color that opened like an ammo box. I remember the power button looking like a nuke launcher.
The corsair vengeance c70. I still use one due to the disk drive space and stack ability factor it has with a ryzen 3800x build.

MSI and GIGABYTE both did this. That said, MSI did it better with a more subtle "ammunition" theme.

View attachment 456928
Never seen the memory on both sides of the socket. That's a killer looking design.
MSI is my go to for boards. They may not always offer the ultimate in overclocking flexibility, but I've had enough dead ASUS boards and unstable Gigabyte boards that I am done with those brands. MSI has been rock solid through 3 boards.
People used to have imagination and a sense of humor. We're not allowed to have that anymore. *SOMEONE* is crying looking at those images. I assure you.
Not so sure. I'm pretty sure it's just old computer nerds on these forums nowadays. :D

Yeah that was part of the reason I got my G1 Sniper 3 mobo for my 3770K build. Ran without a single problem for over 7 years.

Attachments

• 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 0
Back