The Collapse Of Microsoft And Nokia's Mobile Business

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Engadget has set up an interactive 10-year timeline that provides a basic overview of the two companies’ rapidly decaying phone business.

Microsoft's smartphone business is in free fall, with the company selling just 2.3 million devices in the last three months. It's likely that you'll still be able to buy a Microsoft-branded smartphone, but it's probably not something the firm will devote a lot of time and energy to. After all, making phones is an expensive business, and if there's no chance to make any sort of profit, it's not worth the effort.

Microsoft has to keep trying: the smartphone is the future of the PC.

Dear Microsoft,

Pull your head out of your rectum hole. You have a bad history of not listening to your customers.

1. You look Windows Mobile and ceased all development for it... to give us a POS known as windows phone 7. Windows phone 7 was your downfall. You managed to alienate your entire mobile base. WP 8 was a STAGGERING improvement over WP7 and 8.1 made it even better but you still have not fixed what made Windows Mobile so great.... The ability to run Windows CE (Now embedded) applications.

2. You bought out the only company that could have saved your bacon in the mobile Market, Nokia.

In an effort to become apple, you screwed over your user base and now you have no presence in the Mobile Market and if you keep this Windows 10 data logging up, you are going to find your bread and butter business gone as well...

The main issues of windows mobile endeavors was advertisement, market perception and selling incentives for reps.

The main issues of windows mobile endeavors was advertisement, market perception and selling incentives for reps.

Huh? No the issue is Microsoft couldn't be bothered to create a compelling mobile UI and experience, and instead farmed it out to Fischer-Price. Then never bothered to create compelling first-party killer apps.

They really never even tried.

Imagine if MS had just made a modern mobile OS instead of trying to force that crap UIs on the desktop.

Put a free game on it, that will get them to switch to Windows phones.

I have a small Nokia cell phone, has a built in flashlight, best phone ever.

They would need mobile app developers to get behind the platform. Not sure how you would do that at this point - Android and iOS are about 98% of the US smart phone market. If I'm a mobile developer, what's my ROI?
Both BlackBerry and MSFT have tried bribing devs - free phones, etc. Didn't work so well. If MSFT switches to Android, that might net them a few sales but is not a good long term strategy. Maybe they are better off porting their software to support Android and iOS. They have Office and a handful of other apps for the platforms now.

I absolutely loved my Lumia 920 with 8.1 on it. The Lumia 950 with 10 I have now is okay but the OS has many quirks that just annoy me. Very real possibility that I'd go to Android next time I want a phone.

Windows 10 Mobile is a beautiful OS and the Lumia 950 and XL are really good handsets. However, does not do as much good when you cannot buy them except on AT&T. Also, at least as far as the present smart phone business is concerned, they do not seem like they want to be in the hardware business directly anyways. (Present, not future possible x86 based phone hardware.) They are doing very well in the their apps and cloud business though so that have far from failed but, they just did not go they way I would have preferred.

Back