The "Case-I-Can-Carry-Onto-An-Airplane" Project (periodic updates)

iqonoqlast

n00b
This thread shall be a public record of my attempt to build (that's right, build) a case that will meet the FAA carry-on regulations of 22"x14"x9" while taking normal ATX parts (mobo, PSU) and not being customized to my current hardware so that I can upgrade in the future and still use the case.

Why?
I did a briefcase mod as a temporary solution. However, there are a number of problems which I hope to address with this new case:

1) Airflow sucks my balls
2) I can only fit 1 optical drive
3) I cannot run the case with the lid closed because the airflow sucks my balls.
4) The expansion cards are not properly secured
5) Did I mention the airflow sucks my balls?

I don't want to do an SFF setup because that requires specialized hardware. Also, no cases that take ATX will fit the requirements. So I said "Fuck it, I'll build my own."

The design
22"x14"x9" will give me something like a thick briefcase or mini tower. I intend to construct it as a box with lid, i.e. a mini tower laid flat, although I expect it to be able to run both as a desktop and tower.

Picking out parts for construction
I decided to go with wood instead of metal because, frankly, metal is going to be a bitch to work with. I went to Home Depot and they have these 2'x2' pieces of 1/4" thick tempered hardwood panels that should fit the bill. In order to join them along each edge, I figured I would screw-attach the panels to L-shaped aluminum braces that run the length of each edge like so:

edgepanel.png

Input Solicitation Area
1) I have not decided whether I want a hinged lid or something that clasps down.

2) Should I make it look like wood i.e using wood finish that would make it look like an old-school stereo receiver...or should I give it a metallic/aluminum finish?

That's all for now. Feedback and suggestions appreciated.

Qtip42 said:
You wont be able to get on a plane with that anymore.
I've flown from ATL, San Fran, and Minneapolis. All they ever do is check it for radiation and I'm good to go.

Just wait till you get some retarded person screaming about a bomb :D

Either way good luck.

Qtip42 said:
Just wait till you get some retarded person screaming about a bomb :D

Either way good luck.
better yet, make it look like a bomb ;)

now... do you really intend to take this case as your carry on? if so... why?

NickTheNut said:
better yet, make it look like a bomb ;)

now... do you really intend to take this case as your carry on? if so... why?
I fly all the time and I need to take my computer with me.

As I said, I've taken my briefcase on before, so I'll be alright.

iqonoqlast said:
I fly all the time and I need to take my computer with me.

As I said, I've taken my briefcase on before, so I'll be alright.

not really a bad idea...I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with a computer, and shipping it back and forth with overnight delivery would just be retardedly expensive and slow, etc. I'd like to see how it turns out. Personally I woulda still used metal if it were me..sure its not as easy as wood, but a jigsaw, drill, and some rivets can work just fine :)

siege said:
not really a bad idea...I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers with a computer, and shipping it back and forth with overnight delivery would just be retardedly expensive and slow, etc. I'd like to see how it turns out. Personally I woulda still used metal if it were me..sure its not as easy as wood, but a jigsaw, drill, and some rivets can work just fine :)
I actually might go with metal still...

The thing is, where am I going to get people to cut metal for me? :(

I'm thinking of attaching all my devices with velcro like in my current setup. It's strong enough to hold everything in place, especially if I'm going to use metal (smooth surface + adhesive = :drool: ), avoids ugly rivets from showing on the outside, and maintains my push for a completely modular design.

i know this is not the [H] thing to do, but have you ever considered a laptop? :)

NickTheNut said:
i know this is not the [H] thing to do, but have you ever considered a laptop? :)
Don't have $1500 to blow :(

BTW, you wouldn't happen to be in Silicon Valley area would you? ;)

If you make a case that is shaped like a cartoon bomb........you know the big black ball with a huge fuse..........that'd be funny as hell.

Qtip42 said:
If you make a case that is shaped like a cartoon bomb........you know the big black ball with a huge fuse..........that'd be funny as hell.

<note to self, project KABOOM>

These flights you take, wouldnt one day happen to take you to Grapevine Texas, say on
Aug 12-15?

kuyaglen said:
<note to self, project KABOOM>

These flights you take, wouldnt one day happen to take you to Grapevine Texas, say on
Aug 12-15?
Nope, I'll be back in Atlanta on those dates ;)

I asked because a drive from Hayward CA to Texas for Quake Con would be more expensive
and hassel than a plane trip...if you wanted to bring your own desktop.

2nd vote for aluminum

just get a nibbler, or a jig saw, or *gasp* a dremel! and rivets or some self tapping screws or something. wood is just gonna be a pain, and look goofy (at least all of the wooden cases i've seen have.)

btw, i got my laptop for 840 dollars shipped (a64, 512, 9600 mobility, 15.4 inch...)

well I found THIS on eBay...it might fit your needs but is a little smaller than what you were looking for originaly

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back