The caps-lock key: WOULD YOU MISS IT?

HardOCP News

[H] News
WELL, WOULD YOU?

We expect this will improve the quality of comments across the Web," joked Chrome project head Sundar Pichai during Tuesday's unveiling, provoking some gasps, a few titters, and even a cheer or two. (Oh, and the function keys are getting thrown out with the bathwater, too.)

Not as much as I would miss the function keys.

I use the key itself, but not the actual CAPS LOCK function. NEVER REALLY SAW THE POINT IN TYPING IN ALL CAPS! STOP YELLING AT ME!

I NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHY PEOPLE CAN'T JUST HOLD DOWN SHIFT WITH THEIR PINKY. I MEAN ITS EASY, HELL I'M DOING IT NOW.

WOULD I MISS IT? NO I WOULD NOT.

no i wouldnt miss it. however i work in a school and the amount of kids that do this:

caps lock on, type letter, caps lock off

then look at me confused when i say "why didnt you use the shift key".

YES THEY WOULD MISS IT ;)

I HAVE REMAPPED THE CAPS LOCK KEY TO BACKSPACE, TOO. BUT I SPILLED ROOTBEER ON MY KEYBOARD AND MY SHIFT KEY IS STUCK.

Hell, the software for my logitech keyboard has an option to disable to caps lock key all together. I've had that feature turned on for over 6 months and I never missed the caps lock key once.

I could do without IT..i HATE TYPING OUT A LONG SENTENCE ONLY TO LOOK UP AT THE SCREEN AND SEE i HAD THE CAPS LOCK ON FOR HALF Of IT ....THEN HAVING TO GO And type it all lover again

NOOOOO, I USE IT EXTENSIVELY IN GAMES!!!!! WHILE WHERE AT IT, LET'S REMOVE THE MOUSE WHEEL AND THE RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON AS WELL!!!!! AND THE ~ TOO. THAT BUTTON IS FOR CHEATERS, REMOVE THAT AS WELL.

I very rarely use it so no, I suppose I wouldn't miss it.

What I do miss and will continue to miss is decent actually comprehensible communications and discussions with people in light of the world's continuing decline into l33t 5p34k or the ridiculous text-ebonics and acronym hell we find ourselves in these days. Not to mention the horrid spelling (even when some computer OSes and browsers do spell-checking natively to some degree) and grammar (don't even get me started).

Oh, how I miss the good old days.

HOW DID i KNOW THIS FORUM OF DEGENERATES WOULD TURN THIS THREAD INTO A MASSIVE CAPS LOCK SCREAMING MATCH..

BUNCH OF RETARDS!!!!!....OH WAIT I'M DOING IT TOO..DAMNIT!

On a more serious note, Beyond that little blurb up there it honestly never gets used. If anything I find it in my way as when I am typing on my laptop I hit it inadvertently. I doubt seriously I would ever miss it.

DID ANYBODY EXPECT THE CONTENTS OF THIS THREAD TO BE ANY DIFFERENT THAN THEY ARE?

No, I wish they would replace it with the damn "Any" key that I don't seem to have on my keyboard.

#define C_MACROS_USE_CAPS_FOR_NAMES_AND_I_DONT_FELL_LIKE_HAVING_TO_KEEP_ONE_FINGER_DOWN_ALL_THE_TIME_WHEN_I_CODE_MACROS 1337

what is caps lock?

oh, you mean the thing that happens before I run my registry hack to permanently disable it

Meh the main reason i use caps lock, scroll lock or num lock is to turn the dam super bright led off after i have accidentally turned it on.

Really I'm sure they is many keys that not everyone uses that could be removed and only the people that use them would be unhappy about it, i for example never use the windows keys or the left alt, ctrl, shift, caps lock, scroll lock, num lock or num pad and any of the function keys... anyone here be happy if all those were removed? i don't use them so obviously you can all get along without them :p

i need it for typing in emails and other macros for Sieble (Oracle sw).

I probably hit this button more times on accident then on purpose. GET RID OF IT!

Back in the day I used a hack for XP called waNOCAPS which turned the Capslock key into a 3rd Ctrl button. I'm not sure they have one that works with Win7?

Pretty much screws me when I'm working with some of the embedded code base around here that only accepts capitals. either that or I get to type for hours with the shift key down... yay.

No big deal. So long as there's still a Billy Mays key, I'm good.

the only purpose of caps lock key is to piss other people off in forums.

YOU READ ALL CAPS 30% SLOWER OR SOMETHING TRY IT;

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.

NOW

ONCE UPON A MIDNIGHT DREARY WHILE I BROWSED WEAK AND WEARY
OVER MANY A QUAINT AND CURIOUS VOLUME OF GENMAY LORE.
WHILE I NODDED, NEARLY NAPPING, SUDDENLY THERE CAME A TAPPING,
AS OF SOME ONE GENTLY RAPPING, FAPPING AT MY OFFICE DOOR

I GOT 7 SECONDS AND 8 SECONDS ON THE SECOND. BUT I WAS TRYING TO GO SLOW SO WHO KNOWS, MAYBE IT IS LIKE DROPPING A DECOY...

ANYWAY, HOW THE FUCK WOULD YOU TOGGLE RUN IN FALLOUT!!?!? GET RID OF SCROLL LOCK THAT IS POINTLESS NOW THAT YOU DONT SCROLL IN FRAMES ANYWAY.

you will never be able to eliminate the human need for individuals to assert themselves over others. In that spirit... why are we trying to make things harder...

I wouldnt miss it, but i dont see the need to eliminate it.

I'm getting really tired of the current movement to dumb down everything. Stop taking options away from people. Don't need it? Don't use it!

I'm getting really tired of the current movement to dumb down everything. Stop taking options away from people. Don't need it? Don't use it!

Yeah! I'm really pissed I don't have a honey pot along with my meat and potatoes! I might not use the honey pot, but I don't see why the option isn't there.

Caps Lock can go, but Function keys I use plenty. Try playing a game like ARMA 2 without them. Heck, think of all the quick saving/loading, camera views, etc. are usually bound to them by default. I don't want to have to squeeze all that functionality into the regular keys.

I JUST HOLD DOWN SHIFT WHEN I TYPE INSTEAD. REQUIRES MORE SKILL AND AGILITY!

in my line of work- civil engineering/land survey. the caps lock is on 100% of the time while working.

so Yes i'd miss it OR i'd need a leroy font that has no lower case option

Back