The Canon 30D has been anounced... Any thoughts

Semi neat, but I don't think people who shoot with 20Ds not will be all over the 30D since it seems like a very small incremental upgrade. It wouldn't get me to switch personally...

BillLeeLee said:
Semi neat, but I don't think people who shoot with 20Ds not will be all over the 30D since it seems like a very small incremental upgrade. It wouldn't get me to switch personally...

Agreed.

Look at the bright side, it's now a good time to buy a 20D when prices go down.

N_Raged said:
Look at the bright side, it's now a good time to buy a 20D when prices go down.

If the 10D was any indication, the price of the 20D's may not go down as much it should once the 30D hits the market. Although anything used will drop in price. We'll see...

The 30D is aimed as an answer to the nikon D70S, the nikon D70 was nice then they introduced the D70S because ppl were buying the D50 over the D70 (D50 had a bigger LCD and better noise). The 30D is aimed at people who don't yet have a 20D example owners of 350D or 300D. Canon rushed the 30D because there was no reason since the introduction of the 350D to buy a 20D, the 350D offeres exact quality as the 20D only difference is 20D has a 9 point auto focus (350D is 6), a much better build (magnesium alloy) and lastly ISO 3200 (you don't need it any pict at 3200 looks a bit on the noisy side), and a exellent controll command dial. The 30D is following the new trend of 2.5 in screens. The 20D is a bit outdated released in 2004 at $1600, the 30D will probably have updated software to deal with noise better than the 20D. 30D is coming out in march 06 at cost of $1400 no lens kit $1500 with lens kit.

Theres a good majority of people that are not satisfied with the 20D replacement. The 30D should be considered more of an updated 20D than a replacement, and people must learn to accept that. Canon said they would have loved to stuff a larger sensor but it would come with the problems of noise, they wanted to keep the 30D with low noise and retain quality. Look at the nikon D200 it has 10mp, has weather sealing and several options but it fails to retain exellent quality above ISO 800, for a $1700 camera it shouldn't do that but hopefully a firmware upgrade will fix some of it (nikon uses sony cmos sensor wich may lead to some of theyr problems since they did not build the sensor). I am not here to judge the D200 It has one super build quality, superior sync flash to canon and so many pro features that it's not even funny, I still consider it a good bang for the buck If your willing to sacrifice ISO and you don't let ppl use your camera (no auto mode so not good for wife or eldely parents unless your wife knows DLSR, then your in trouble cause then she'd porb take better picts).

Canon will announce a 10mp camera, but not at this time, and will prob cost a lot more than the D30 sometime this fall-winter, Reasons to get it is 100,000 shutter life compared to 50,000(20D), much better build, feels 5D like, wonderfull 2.5in LCD, and updated firmware. The 30D is not for everyone if you own a 350D (still sweet) or u own an outdated dslr, or if your in the DSLR market and want something new this is for you. I shot the 350D and 20D and once u get a grip on the 20D the 350D feels like a cracker jack toy, I could wait for the 20D to get cheaper or spring for the 30D that will prob last longer with its improved built, better noise, n bigger LCD's. There's a lot of people saying Oh is still 8mp im gonna switch to nikon, only the D200 is 10mp and theyr whole line thats competing with the canon's are 6mp. 8MP is plenty to push around, right now the war is not quantity but quality, the nikons been doing fine so far with 6mp(should go up to 8mp yet they survived) and the canons be doing fine with 8mp no reason to rush, If your ignorant and complaining about canon not launching a 10mp camera feel free to search for alternatives (panasonic is making theyr fist dslr that can use the lcd to view instead of viewfinder with immage stabilization, nikon makes good cameras too) but don't blame canon. In life everything doesen't work out the way you want, If things were my way PS3 would be in my hands and Xbox 360 would have Blue ray HD DVD player, and GTA would have released in xbox first (could have had higher quality, PS2 graphs junky even dreacast had better) dreamcast would have survived they had more quality games and not as many bad ones, but i guess it's not time yet, As for me I might get a 20D or 30D(most likely) if u need something fancier get urself a nikon D200 (hell of a camera if u can live without auto mode) or just wait (good thing comes to those who wait). If u got deep pockets get urself a canon 5D has 12.8mp and a full frame sensor (35mm size).
This are my 2 cents thank you for listening. And remember the more advance the camera is the more tweaking it takes to get a shot. 35mm still cannont be beat.

I have a rebel xt, I prob would not upgrade to the 30D. I am saving up for the 5d :)

hmm the 5D is a sweet camera, id be hard for me to come up with an excuse to blow 3k, so the 30D is right in my price range, would settle for a nice rebel xt, since u own a rebel xt I have a question, I shot before a xt and shot a dark blue item and it showed as purple, is that because of lighting or settings, or is the camera sometimes like that?

ellover009 said:
hmm the 5D is a sweet camera, id be hard for me to come up with an excuse to blow 3k, so the 30D is right in my price range, would settle for a nice rebel xt, since u own a rebel xt I have a question, I shot before a xt and shot a dark blue item and it showed as purple, is that because of lighting or settings, or is the camera sometimes like that?

Sounds like a result of metering and automatic settings. The camera meter tries to get a neutral tone (basically metering against a 15%, or was it 18%, gray card). So if the dark blue object was surrounded by lighter objects, you'd end up getting a lighter color for the dark object.

Im waiting until I finish my lens collection before I buy a new body. I hate renting so I just need a few more so I can buy a new body.

IMHO, there will be 4 tiers of DSLR cameras
1st baisic 6-8mp------------------\
2nd prosumer 8-10mp-----------| 1.6x/1.5x crop factor
Amature 10-14mp----------------/
Pro 14-18mp----------------------- Full Frame

And until there is a major breakthough for optics or a new lens form factor you wont see better than 18mp in DSLR's unless you are layering color channels, otherwise your just gonna see flaws within the optics themselves.

Thats the truth. Lenses that worked great on my D70 just did not shine on the D2X and as a result, I sold off all my variable aperture prosumer zooms.

Honestly though, I don't think many more pixels are going to be necessary. Next what we need is better dynamic range.

I have a 20d (& 300d) and am not looking at getting the 30d. I bought my 20d used at a good price, and I'm sticking with it since it pretty much does everything I need it to do. There are some things I wish my camera could do, such as caption images and interview athletes for names/history and record audio, but the reason I get paid for my photos in the paper is because I can do those things myself.

While I would like to have the whole folder management of the 30d, that feature doesn't justify buying a brand new camera - ex, I can live without it. But if there was some firmware upgrade/hack avaliable to do that kind of thing, I'd probably use it. As it is Canon hasn't been issuing many upgrades to their DSLR to add features...they only do it to fix issues...and there hasn't been much firmware hacking for this camera...so it looks like I'll just deal with the nusicances of having 100 vastly different images per folder, instead of say 25 similar images in an event folder...

owned a rebel 300 and now own a 20D and i loved them both, going to the 20D being an older camera was hard, but i took the plunge and i have yet to figure it all out yet, i need to expand my lense collection, but the 30D is not one i will buy.
I do have a 3 year warranty on my 20D so if it breaks and cant be replaced with a NIB 20D - get the equvilant - so prob a 30D :)

Also, the MP is now a myth almost, for most, 8MP is more then enough for high quality imagery, now they need to work on noise factor's on higher ISO and night time shots, the 12MP cameras out now are great if you want a wall sized pictured :D

it was like intel, thinking more Mhz is better, with digital camera's, marketing sucked people in by advertising MORE MP!! MORE MP!! is better, when really the quality of the cmos sensor and other items are now coming more into play.

BillLeeLee said:
Sounds like a result of metering and automatic settings. The camera meter tries to get a neutral tone (basically metering against a 15%, or was it 18%, gray card). So if the dark blue object was surrounded by lighter objects, you'd end up getting a lighter color for the dark object.

I agree..

I don't think anyone that has a 20D is thinking about upgrading to the 30D, I know I wouldn't. I think the question now is, if you are going to buy a new camera, should you go for the cheaper 20D (prices should start dropping if they already haven't) or the new 30D, for me, it would depend on how much of a difference $$ it is. I have a Rebel XT and I don't think I would spend money on anything less than a 5D.

Hyper_Psycho said:
I'm happy with my 20D ... gonna stick with it for a few years :cool:

That was my thought, why i got the 3 year extend warrenty for $200 more - full replacement if i take it in more then 3 times for repair from henrys :) if i ever need a better camera then this, then i am making a living from pictures and can afford a 5D anyways :D

PS-RagE said:
Thats the truth. Lenses that worked great on my D70 just did not shine on the D2X and as a result, I sold off all my variable aperture prosumer zooms.

Honestly though, I don't think many more pixels are going to be necessary. Next what we need is better dynamic range.
I agree there. I too dont believe throwing out more pixels is going to change a thing. I would like to the better range and, an improvement in sensors first. Seem like the majors are, just coming out with new models for the sake, of having a new model. Lets see them get the needed improvements in first. Then give us some new cameras.
Personally Im getting a D200 later on this year. I never purchase the first or second runs of hardware, which is all a camera is.I like the D200 because it has almost all of the features of the D2X but, is the same size as, the D50,70.
As it stands both Nikon and, Cannons are very good cameras for the money. It isnt like they take crappy pictures. Those I would say are user errors as, I have quite a few of my own. What makes most of us decide on which brand is both, what we have used and, like and, whos glass we have.
Pj I would just sit with your current till the second of third run on the 30D. If that is the camera you want. By then most of the bugs will be out and, any firware revisions will most likely be out too.

i currently have a 20d and love it. I see no need to get the 30d this minute however, i will be looking for a second body in probably 6 months and would get one then.

Back