The Callisto Protocol (survival/horror)

And it appears it has the dreaded unreal engine stutter too as numerous people are reporting it along with poor performance in general.

After Scorn I don't pre-order shit like this anymore.
Well we have too many oblivious low standards idiots that claim they magically do not see the stutters or it does not bother them. FFS Stutter Wars Jedi Fallen Order gets almost nothing but praise.

Well we have too many oblivious low standards idiots that claim they magically do not see the stutters or it does not bother them. FFS Stutter Wars Jedi Fallen Order gets almost nothing but praise.
Hah, I actually started playing that again on PC (got it for free from some EA giveaway) and you're not kidding, the stuttering is fucking awful. Great game but I thought there was something wrong with my PC.

lots of disappointing reviews...I was expecting scores in the 8 range (minimum 7)...negatives: game is not balanced as far as difficulty as even the most basic enemies are bullet sponges, too short, performance issues, graphics aren't all that amazing...but the biggest issue is that it doesn't live up to its predecessor/spiritual successor- Dead Space 1

looks like the Dead Space remake is going to be the better overall game...I thought at least that the horror elements would shine in Callisto Protocol but I guess not...2022 has been a bad year for heavily hyped horror games- Scorn sounds like a complete dud and now this...Scorn had a great atmosphere but that alone does not make a great game

another reason why I rarely pre-order games outside of From Software titles and a select few others (even Cyberpunk 2077 and Callisto I did not pre-order despite the massive hype)...Jedi: Survivor might be one as the first game was incredible (despite the stutters)...I only played it for the first time a few months ago

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
Hah, I actually started playing that again on PC (got it for free from some EA giveaway) and you're not kidding, the stuttering is fucking awful. Great game but I thought there was something wrong with my PC.
I spent no telling how many hours trying to reduce the hitching and stuttering in that game on numerous setups. 99% of the stutters happen in the same spots and are easily reproducible. That is why you will never get someone that claims "it must be your pc as I don't get stutter" to post a video in those areas proving they get no stutter. And gsync and freesync can only smooth out the little fps drops that happen throughout the game but cant do anything for the big stutters.

When someone play this.. Tell me if QTE's can be turned off..

PC performance is awful from what I'm hearing...apparently the PS5 is the best way to play this game...2 things to ALWAYS be skeptical about- 1) when a review embargo only lifts after the game is officially released 2) when a game is sponsored by AMD

The Callisto Protocol review: could be silly, bloody space fun if it ran on PC

The Callisto Protocol runs so badly on PC...the stuttering and slowing down whenever anything moves is especially problematic in a horror game where your survival depends on quickly dodge-reacting to sudden threats...so I can't, right now, recommend you get The Callisto Protocol on PC...if Striking Distance get it running properly? Eh. Maybe

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-callisto-protocol-review

If there was anyway possible to at least get something for all my pc games I would switch to consoles only. Nealy every game that comes out on pc has issues that take MONTHS to fix if they ever get fixed at all. FFS they still have never fixed the broken TAA in RE 8 for example. And the most common engine used is Unreal which in at least 75% of games using it have stutters that only happen on PC. What is the point in spending all this money on hardware to have a worse overall experience in so many games?

Ok I always hear that game devs supposedly have people that play the games in their final form for weeks if not months before release for feedback. If that is true then how in the hell do we keep getting broken ass games that anyone that has played for 5 mins will know should not have been released.

Ok I always hear that game devs supposedly have people that play the games in their final form for weeks if not months before release for feedback. If that is true then how in the hell do we keep getting broken ass games that anyone that has played for 5 mins will know should not have been released.

developers aren't stupid, they know the issues exist...they just feel that it can be worked on post-release...they're trying to meet a release window and things like stuttering are not a priority for Day 1

developers aren't stupid, they know the issues exist...they just feel that it can be worked on post-release...they're trying to meet a release window and things like stuttering are not a priority for Day 1
gmanlives said there is a day 1 patch they dont have.. hopefully that fixes stuff.

gmanlives said there is a day 1 patch they dont have.. hopefully that fixes stuff.
No because I am looking at user reviews and complaints for the release version game and that patch was already in it. It is getting bombed with mostly negative reviews based on the performance.

why don't all games just put the shader compilation in before the game loads for the first time?...problem solved in most cases...why is that so hard to implement?

why don't all games just put the shader compilation in before the game loads for the first time?...problem solved in most cases...why is that so hard to implement?
Unreal has always had stuttering issues in most games long before shader compilation and those other stuttering issues were never fixed either.

No because I am looking at user reviews and complaints for the release version game and that patch was already in it. It is getting bombed with mostly negative reviews based on the performance.
you lost me at user reviews..

Unreal has always had stuttering issues in most games long before shader compilation and those other stuttering issues were never fixed either.
Unreal 5.1 has added a lot of new tools and improvements that should help for future games at least.

Yeah why listen to all the people that bought the game at full price voicing their opinion and sharing their experience. :confused:
They all said Arkham Knight ran like shit too.. and it ran fine for me. So yeah.. I don't listen to them :p

Yeah why listen to all the people that bought the game at full price voicing their opinion and sharing their experience. :confused:
Most users have no idea what they are talking about. I don't say this judgementally, but as noting a fact.

I honestly don't remember having stuttering issues when I played Fallen Order on the PC. At most a few hitches here and there, but nothing really stands out in my memory. Not to discount the issues people have had, I don't doubt anyone that says they've had those problems, I just don't recall them.

I doubt it's possible with UE4 due to how it renders shaders. Stuttering has been a problem with UE4 games since the get-go.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
They all said Arkham Knight ran like shit too.. and it ran fine for me. So yeah.. I don't listen to them :p
Sarcasm? If not then FFS that game had to be pulled because it was such a broken mess so it shows if anything that overall user reviews are important not the random person like you that has no clue what shitty performance even looks like.

I doubt it's possible with UE4 due to how it renders shaders. Stuttering has been a problem with UE4 games since the get-go.
Possible, yes, but difficult for an average dev. UE5.1, however, has a lot of improvements on that front.

I honestly don't remember having stuttering issues when I played Fallen Order on the PC. At most a few hitches here and there, but nothing really stands out in my memory. Not to discount the issues people have had, I don't doubt anyone that says they've had those problems, I just don't recall them.

I only played Fallen Order for the first time a few months ago...it was probably much worse at launch but the game is mostly fine now...people confuse stuttering with hitching...stuttering is a more constant issue whereas hitching happens infrequently...there's still hitching but it's not so bad that it makes the game unplayable

I only played Fallen Order for the first time a few months ago...maybe it much worse at launch but the game is fine now...people confuse stuttering with hitching...stuttering is a more constant issue whereas hitching happens infrequently...there's still hitching but it's not so bad that it makes the game unplayable
Yep... Load hitches != stutter.

so there's no plasma cutter type of weapon in CP?...you can't dismember enemies?...I loved cutting off arms and legs in Dead Space...if you're going to make a spiritual successor to Dead Space then why not include its most unique feature?

20221202_021644.jpg

Destroyed by reviewers.

7/10 at overhyped IGN
5/10 at gamespot

Bargain bin purchase at best. 8 hour campaign for 60 bucks in 2022. No way jose.

Didn't you like MW2? Similar campaign length. I don't mind if it is very good. This seems to be a bit of a let down. A horror game that runs long might get old. After a while there is only so many ways you can scare the player. Original Dead Space was around 13 hours. I bet this is similar length for the average gamer. Typically the people who finish first rush through it. Just check how long to beat.com. Initial reviews are always short, then as a few weeks pass the average time to beat goes up. This is probably closer to 11-13 hours for anyone not speed running.

Didn't you like MW2? Similar campaign length. I don't mind if it is very good. This seems to be a bit of a let down. A horror game that runs long might get old. After a while there is only so many ways you can scare the player. Original Dead Space was around 13 hours. I bet this is similar length for the average gamer. Typically the people who finish first rush through it. Just check how long to beat.com. Initial reviews are always short, then as a few weeks pass the average time to beat goes up. This is probably closer to 11-13 hours for anyone not speed running.
Pretty much every halfway reputable review I have watched or read has mentioned 8 to 9 hours. I really doubt a review like that would be off by much and would give a good idea of what a person can expect if playing the game as intended.

Screenshots and benchmark stuff:

Code:
https://imgur.com/a/B64I2T0

The bad first:
  • No DLSS option, only FSR 2, you can enable it but it makes zero difference to performance. It's clearly locked out. I'm sure in other games you could use it on Nvidia cards and gain some frames, even if not as much as DLSS.
  • You have to exit back to the main menu before the GFX settings are available, what is this the dark ages?????
  • No FOV slider but not a major issue as camera seems to be positioned decently but I know may like to have an FOV slider anyway
  • Every time you enter a new section of the level, even if it's going through a doorway into a room, there are some frame stutters. It only lasts a second or two but they are there. This is not something I have ever seen on previously and more recently played UE4 engined games, so this is clearly an oversight by the devs
  • Because there's no DLSS, nvidia users will currently get sub 60fps IF all settings including RT shadows and RT reflections are maxed. DLSS would otherwise allow the game to run at 100fps easily. Hopefully DLSS patch isn't too far away and the FSR 2 option is only a launch exclusive.
  • Mouse and camera smoothing are on by default. turn these off and increase the sensitivity to around 90 for both. The mouse now feels like RAW input which is MUCH better.
  • The game does no shader compilation when the game first starts like some other games do, this might be a contributing factor to the stuttering maybe?
  • The game's main menu layout isn't the best. it feels like a direct console menu system and not something a PC Gamer expects
The good:
  • Outside of the stutter when entering a new area, the motion and smoothness is very nice
  • The camera placement and follow is nicely balanced too, I had no issues with this on ultrawide
  • Performance with my personal tweaked settings is good, I am getting 60-80fps average with all non-RT GFX settings maxed, with RT shadows turned off, and RT Reflections set to medium. Screenshots showing the difference between RT Shadows on and off below, along with RT Reflections.
  • Sound, atmosphere and cinematics are excellent. Lots of particle effects and lighting effects on what I've played so far (about 100 minutes in)
  • On a VRR OLED, the experience immersion experience is great
  • Controls with mouse/keyboard fee responsive and natural
I might actually refund it now, as it stands even though the good bits stand out, I don't think the stutters and other quirks mentioned are worthy of a £50 game. Once this is all patched up I will re-buy it, and it will likely be down to £35 or less by then. Not decided yet....
Got a 24GB video with RTSS overlay etc uploading currently in native res so anyone on the fence will be able to see exactly how it looks and runs and the frametimes etc. At least that can be monetised and let the punters view it etc :p

What would stop me from refunding it within 2 weeks on Steam? If we get confirmation that there is a patch coming imminently to fix the stuttering and fix the broken FSR when an Nvidia card is being used.

If there was anyway possible to at least get something for all my pc games I would switch to consoles only. Nealy every game that comes out on pc has issues that take MONTHS to fix if they ever get fixed at all. FFS they still have never fixed the broken TAA in RE 8 for example. And the most common engine used is Unreal which in at least 75% of games using it have stutters that only happen on PC. What is the point in spending all this money on hardware to have a worse overall experience in so many games?

Why would you need to sell your PC library to switch? I switched when PS5 launched basically and have been happy so far. Played Fallen Order (think it was a free PS+ game too) on there too with zero hitching that I noticed.

Very disappointed by reviews so far. Waiting for ACG's review now. Definitely not sounding like it's worth $60+ ($70 on PS5), which I would happily spend if it was as good as Dead Space was. I still need to finish God of War anyways before playing anything else. Guess I may move onto Witcher 3 remaster after that since I never played that to begin with.

The bad first:
  • No DLSS option, only FSR 2, you can enable it but it makes zero difference to performance. It's clearly locked out. I'm sure in other games you could use it on Nvidia cards and gain some frames, even if not as much as DLSS.
  • Because there's no DLSS, nvidia users will currently get sub 60fps IF all settings including RT shadows and RT reflections are maxed. DLSS would otherwise allow the game to run at 100fps easily. Hopefully DLSS patch isn't too far away and the FSR 2 option is only a launch exclusive

I'm guessing DLSS gets added in later via patch...a lot of these AMD sponsored titles don't get DLSS support at launch- Deathloop being a recent example

This game is a nightmare to play if you have a 60% keyboard due to some of the keys you need. Controller may be a better choice.

Game runs like garbage for me even in DX11 and DX12 is just laughably bad.

Yeah, I refunded. There is a cool game here, but the performance is absolute garbage even on high-end systems, and i'm getting crashing as well. You can tell this game needed a good 2-4 months for the PC version.

I will buy it again later, but this thing needs a lot of work, and given the holiday season, it likely won't get fixed until after the new year.

As much as I was looking forward to this, something told me not to pre-order it or buy it on Day 1.

Hopefully the issues are fixed, damn. I didn't expect this reception at all, after that continuous build up with the trailers etc.

Back