The Biggest Video Game Disappointments Of 2016

HardOCP News

[H] News
If there was one thing that disappointed me the most last year it was games that shipped broken on the PC. Sure, this isn't something that just started last year but damn man, there sure were a lot of them in 2016.

This is a perennial thing, but it was as bad in 2016 as it’s been any other year. Too many PC games were released with sub-par optimization and other performance issues, from the less egregious jankiness of XCOM 2 and Hitman to the woeful launch state of No Man’s Sky, Mafia 3 and Dishonored 2. Each game had us wasting untold hours on the bizarre rituals we perform while impatiently waiting for patches, and we’ll never get those hours back.

The news article that you are looking for can not be found or has been moved. Use the navigation links above, the search page or the sitemap in the footer of the site to find the news article you're seeking.

I mean there was literally nothing on that list that is surprising and should be a disappointment with exception to Mighty no.9. Since most of the article was about garbage and products instead of games I'll start around the bottom of the list. Everquest Next was being called out for being overly ambitious and unlikely to succeed past the "hey day of MMO's" pretty much since the first information started filtering out. At no point did it sound like a viable or good game. Last Guardian delayed and its a remake..who cares? I think only the most hardcore of Star Fox fans held any hope that the new one would be any good. Even then I barely heard more than a peep about it. That probably has more to do with it being a forced exclusive on a disaster of a console. Pokemon go wasn't good, to the surprise of no one with an IQ above 50. It was a novelty gimmick on a smart phone. Finally Mirrors edge and Starr wars battle front DLC weren't exactly disappointments. They weren't expected to be amazing and they didn't exceed expectations. They both fell squarely in the mediocre category where most figured they would end up.

Actually I'm more disappointed in the article itself. It was rather difficult to find much related to actual hype and disappointment amid all the rambling babble about dumb shit.

That last one is a real doozey :(, was really looking forward to playing that game. We'll probably never see it come to light, just like FFXV.

...Last Guardian delayed and its a remake..who cares?...
No. It's not a remake. However, here's a remake for you.

That last one is a real doozey :(, was really looking forward to playing that game. We'll probably never see it come to light, just like FFXV.
It was released December 6, 2016. The last part of that article was a joke.

Last edited:
I treat every new game as a late beta now. Publishers push games out the door too early, that's about it. Usually if you wait a year, the game is stable and half, if not a fifth the price, depending if there's a sale.

I was going to buy No Man's Sky - been following the game for a long time. I resisted the urge to buy it at launch. I didn't even buy it during the Steam sale. Maybe in a few years after DLC/Game of the Year versions are available.
It's not like I don't have more games than I can play in my lifetime as-is. Seriously, doubt I have even launched 20% of the games I bought. Reflecting, I'm an idiot if I buy any additional games until I play all of these. I have good intentions, think I'll have time later, etc. With a family and work, this is a joke. Maybe when I retire I'll be able to check some of these out.

Kotaku missed the mark on this one. They mention some good points, but when there's a lot of editorializing, I just don't want to read anything after the first few paragraphs.

My biggest disappointment of the year is that XCOM 2 still does not work very well on my machine (4790K, GTX 770, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD - used for CPU-heavy work). It always stutters. I struggled through the campaign once, and tried to replay it with the Alien Hunters DLC, but the stuttering and frame drops were too much (and it crashed, several times!). I like the game a lot, but it seems I'll have to wait for a new GPU to try again.

Gears of War. Looked forward to this coming back to the PC for years. Turned out to be repetitive and short.

Dishonored 2 ran flawlessly for me even on a lowly 970.

I finding more and more AAA games are failing my Youtube test: Does said game make me want to buy it instead of just simply watching it on Youtube for free?

Doom 4 was the only game that passed.

I need to boot up XCOM 2 again...

Beat the first one last year, loved it, but man is this one punishing. You put so much into people just to have them schwacked...

Most of this guy's disappointments could have been avoided simply by not playing console games.

Most of this guy's disappointments could have been avoided simply by not playing console games.

I find kotaku to be pretty crappy quality in general, there headlines are taken straight from the clickbait book of buzzfeed and there is an agenda behind every article it seems now.

What little of the list there was consisted pretty evenly of PC and console games and actually a good chunk of his beef was around crappy PC ports. Your statement doesn't really ring true here, sorry.

No. It's not a remake. However, here's a remake for you.

It was released December 6, 2016. The last part of that article was a joke.

I know.....I was being sarcastic , thought the "FFXV" jab would give it away lol.

DOOM (MP). I mean I know id's been working on a new Quake game but that's no excuse for gimping the SP gameplay. It's not the same game without the air control rune.

I haven't bought any new games this year.

Broken link is broken.

Yeah I notice XCOM 2 stutters a bit, and has graphic problems like bad camera angles and stuff going into walls/ground/etc. I am still hooked on it. It's pretty punishing.

I need to boot up XCOM 2 again...

Beat the first one last year, loved it, but man is this one punishing. You put so much into people just to have them schwacked...

Hey at least the thing auto saves pretty well, you can roll back to the save without too much misery. But yeah if you're playing iron man / legendary / whatever it's called... you will cry yourself to sleep over the mass grave of your dead soldiers.

Steep... thought it was gonna be the new age cool boarders style and wasnt close. We will see with upcoming updates if it gets any better

Mafia 3 was on that list. I actually liked playing that game. Haven't tried Dishonored 2 yet but I'll get around to it eventually.

Back