The Big Counter-Strike: Source Update Is Here.

Bop

2[H]4U
I just noticed Steam started updating CS:S. It is out of beta now.

Here is what has been changed and added:

General

* 144 achievements added
* New lifetime player stats and summary screens
* New match player stats and summary screens
* New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
* Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
* New cinematic death camera
* New domination and revenge system
* Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
* Incorporated many source engine updates
* Disallowed the use of arbitrary command strings for the message of the day screen. Now only a specific list of commands is allowed.
* Addressed issue in which AWPs and Scouts sometimes did not make the zooming sound.
* cvar mat_showlowresimage is now a cheat command.
* Many development console commands which would crash the server removed.
* Updated source engine addresses many issues:
* Better flashlight effect
* Better HDR behavior
* Multicore rendering support
* Added sv_disablefreezecam cvar to turn off the freezecam on a server.
* Added sv_nonemesis cvar to turn off domination/revenge on a server.
* Added sv_nomvp cvar to turn off MVP stars on a server.
* Added sv_nostats cvar to turn off stats on a server.
* Removed -tickrate command line option and defaulted tick rate to 66 rather than 33. This addressed a number of issues, including:
o Tick rate affecting how fast doors open / close
o Tick rate causing players hitting the ground to stutter
o Tick rate affecting the firing mechanisms of certain guns

UI

* Added the following cvars to allow players to customize their scoreboards.
* cl_scoreboard_ct_color_red
* cl_scoreboard_ct_color_green
* cl_scoreboard_ct_color_blue
* cl_scoreboard_t_color_red
* cl_scoreboard_t_color_green
* cl_scoreboard_t_color_blue
* cl_scoreboard_dead_color_red
* cl_scoreboard_dead_color_green
* cl_scoreboard_dead_color_blue
* Changed the screen that appears when the message of the day fails to load to display proper error text.
* Made the CT silhouette for the auto-select option in the Choose a Class screen smaller and corrected its aspect ratio.
* Addressed a problem that occasionally caused characters to be colored incorrectly on the Change a Class screen.

Gameplay

* Made ladders easier to climb. Added cvars sv_ladder_dampen and sv_ladder_angle.
* Fixed issue that awarded three points when the bomb explodes after the round ends by elimination criteria instead.
* Fixed issue in which you weren’t given credit for grenade damage if you fired a weapon at someone then hit them with a grenade (in that order). Also fixed problem in which grenading a player and then killing them with another weapon showed as ‘*** in 1’ on console.
* There’s now a priority order for displaying win conditions when multiple win conditions are set.
* If timelimit exists and is not 0, then show timelimit.
* If timelimit does not exist, show maxrounds if not 0.
* If both timelimit and maxrounds are 0, show winlimit.
* If timelimit, maxrounds, and winlimit are all 0, show nothing.
* Added a cvar to ignore win conditions: mp_ignore_round_win_conditions.

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=240

Huh. Never even noticed it updating but sure enough, there it is! Achievements finally! I might have to jump back into this and see how it is now. It's been a while since I've played it.

Note to game devs: Want to add life to your old games? Just add achievements through Steam. Quick and easy...Honestly, I can't understand how any game comes out on Steam now without achievements. It should be like with Xbox where it is just a requirement of game development. Also, add a numerical system to the achievements that gives you an overall gamerscore (like Xbox) and I'll love Steam even more.

Good. That means CS:S for Mac must of been released as well. I don't care about all the fluff I'm just happy to have the engine updates and bug fixes. No more shitty interp~ :D

There will ALWAYS be shitty interp at least until we develop faster than light communication technology. :D That or get rid of lag compensation.

Yeah but it's not gonna be as a bad. No more peakers advantage which is a huge issue in Source. No more getting shot in the face by somebody you can't even see stepping around a corner, or doing so yourself. :D

Huh. Never even noticed it updating but sure enough, there it is! Achievements finally! I might have to jump back into this and see how it is now. It's been a while since I've played it.

Note to game devs: Want to add life to your old games? Just add achievements through Steam. Quick and easy...Honestly, I can't understand how any game comes out on Steam now without achievements. It should be like with Xbox where it is just a requirement of game development. Also, add a numerical system to the achievements that gives you an overall gamerscore (like Xbox) and I'll love Steam even more.

i never really understood the fascination with achievements or gamerscores. if you could trade them in for something like some type of reward, i could understand. what do you like so much about them?

i never really understood the fascination with achievements or gamerscores. if you could trade them in for something like some type of reward, i could understand. what do you like so much about them?

its for people to find reasons to justify the 100's and 100's of hours they waste on a game..

entertainment for the most part is pretty much a waste. why attempt to denigrate gaming?

I like them because they allow the player to have a sense of accomplishment. More so though, until achievements came along I'd play through a game once then really didn't have much need to re-play it. With achievements, I find myself playing through games on higher difficulties just because there's an achievement, or searching the the levels for collectibles because of achievements, etc. It adds gameplay to the game, and games like Red Dead do reward you for getting achievements by giving you extra items for your 360 avatar, etc. More importantly, what is to not like about them?

One of the major things I noticed was that they seemed to make the screen blur a little when you look around (quickly?). Maybe it was just me, but it seemed pretty noticeable. All in all I like the changes, save for the achievements, and I'll probably get used to them. They're mostly cosmetic changes anyway, like the scoreboard. The only reason I'd even look at the achievements is to see if there are any crazy ones or if I've gotten any crazy ones.

Yeah but it's not gonna be as a bad. No more peakers advantage which is a huge issue in Source. No more getting shot in the face by somebody you can't even see stepping around a corner, or doing so yourself. :D

I dunno it being as bad as before, but I did a few quick peeks and a few pull-backs where I ended up killing people after a short spray and retreating behind the corner.

Im too use to the way it was. Not a big fan. Been playing it since it was a super buggy beta and IDK.. not happy so far :(

meh. I just hopped on for 30 minutes. Was ok I have no reason to comeback to it though. I got other games I need to play. I think I enjoyed it more when there was a community but I haven't run into any clans I really wanna hangout with.

I dunno it being as bad as before, but I did a few quick peeks and a few pull-backs where I ended up killing people after a short spray and retreating behind the corner.

That's because the server's are all messed up. They are all running 66tic but something isn't right. The awp has delay like 1.6 and the gun's are firing slower than normal because of the tic rate. I know ESEA has been doing their updates and they have stated it's been taking them way longer than expected cause of the large amount of actual changes made.

MAJOR INCONVENIENCE though is they took away the ability to sort the servers or filter by things such as players playing, ping <100, not password protected, VAC secured, etc....

the HDR tweaks make it suddenly dim un-naturally, they should have left the HDR alone, it was perfect before

other than that, and making it more difficult to change your in game name (press shift-tab then settings at bottom and change it there) i dont see a huge difference

MAJOR INCONVENIENCE though is they took away the ability to sort the servers or filter by things such as players playing, ping <100, not password protected, VAC secured, etc....

the HDR tweaks make it suddenly dim un-naturally, they should have left the HDR alone, it was perfect before

other than that, and making it more difficult to change your in game name (press shift-tab then settings at bottom and change it there) i dont see a huge difference
No they didn't. Just uncheck "show map list". Honestly, I don't see why anyone would want to use it.

The update brought me back into the game. :D I was playing the beta since May and I have to say that even today's update is much better than what the beta was. I wasn't expect it to be so polished but Hidden Path did a great just fixing up the game. I'm just glad it is out of beta now. There were only two good server during the beta but now there are so many more people to play against! Losing 74 achievements was a bit of a bummer though.

Ehh the update is ok but,

Takes way to long for a round to end and new round to begin now.
The new UI Windows are huge with no way to scale them.
Net Graph opening automatically....
The update also reset all servers and deleted all mod that operators had running, almost every server was vanilla last night.

They didn't fix any of the apparent bugs like;

Cross-hair size resetting when changing any other option value in the menu system
Nade Throwing Glitch
Hit boxes seem to lag even worse than they did before, there was quite a few times when I would be completely out of the LOS of a another player and still get shot somehow.
Hackers are still rampant...

Overall the game is still awesome, but from what I have heard the whole reason they even updated the game and gave it a new look is to appeal to MAC owners.....

Oh well I will be playing APB soon anyways...

Last edited:
Ehh the update is ok but,

Takes way to long for a round to end and new round to begin now.
The new UI Windows are huge with no way to scale them.
Net Graph opening automatically....
The update also reset all servers and deleted all mod that operators had running, almost every server was vanilla last night.

They didn't fix any of the apparent bugs like;

Cross-hair size resetting when changing any other option value in the menu system
Nade Throwing Glitch
Hit boxes seem to lag even worse than they did before, there was quite a few times when I would be completely out of the LOS of a another player and still get shot somehow.
Hackers are still rampant...

Overall the game is still awesome, but from what I have heard the whole reason they even updated the game and gave it a new look is to appeal to MAC owners.....

Oh well I will be playing APB soon anyways...

Can't change your name in server which is annoying if the Admins dont like your name you have to leave the server to change it.

For those who have been thinking about getting on the CS:S bandwagon, nows the time. With this big update and Mac release they also, since yesterday, have put CS:S onsale, and it now sits at a little under $7.00 for a two day sale (ends later tonight). So if you havent yet, now would be a nice time to do it before it goes back up to $20!

the benchmark tool is a gooed idea. got 192 FPS with 257.15 and 195 with 257.21 Nvidia driver.

the update is ok but I liked the old simple scoreboard and I guess now people will be more competitive with the new achievements (K/D rate).

before I used to light a cigarette, put a leg on the desk, scratch my head with the other leg :D and spray. now i'l have to maintain a good K/D rate so others would know that i'm a pro :rolleyes:

They need to replace the P90 with a Firehose because it has the same effect :)

Bought it and got a second copy for a gift for my nephew.

Might as well put the game on 360 and have it compete with MW2......

:rolleyes:

I miss the days before steam, now it just goes down hill.........

I hate it that they go out of their way to make customers happy. It's bad enough that they give us Steamworks integration, achievements, use the newest Source engine build, fix other issues, and more. Who do they think we are?

Since I won't be able to launch the game for a while, anyone have a link to either a profile with stats or some page with them, just so I can take a look at what's there?

Curious to see the additions.

I read someone's review of Prototype elsewhere, and one of his complaints was that at the end of the game, he only had 240 gamerscore. He actually criticized the developers for not giving him more achievements through one playthrough, and marked it down. I thought that was just stupid.

No they didn't. Just uncheck "show map list". Honestly, I don't see why anyone would want to use it.

because when you dont it just brings up some random set of servers...???

i set the filters because i dont want to browse through servers which are full, have nobody playing, have high pings to me, or are not VAC enabled......why in the world would anyone want to look at those servers in the first place?

I hate it that they go out of their way to make customers happy. It's bad enough that they give us Steamworks integration, achievements, use the newest Source engine build, fix other issues, and more. Who do they think we are?

There are a LOT OF OLD-TIMERS that aren't happy. GTFO Newbie.

There are a LOT OF OLD-TIMERS that aren't happy. GTFO Newbie.

:rolleyes: My eyes hurt, :rolleyes:. eyes. hurt.:rolleyes:

I had thought they were making changes to the game based on customer feedback? I don't play the game, is this not the case?

Back