The Better Deal: 6870 vs GTX 460 1GB

Looking at newegg, the 6870 is closer in price to a 470.

Granted looking at the TR review I can understand why AMD would try and push reviewers away from comparing the 2.

Why- because they 6870 is very close to the 470 in performance and is $20 cheaper? Why would that make AMD want to push reviewers away from comparing them? You really are the most persistent troll out there.

The fact that the GTX 460 is in the discussion of 6870 performance is good enough to purchase one for $169 AR.

So if I then compare the GTX 460's performance to the GT 240 does that suddenly make the GT 240 a better card? Of course not. People are talking about how badly the 6870 stomps all over the GTX 460 - close in performance they aren't.

I'd still get the Nvidia equivalent even if it's $10 cheaper because of other intangibles like better driver support for linux. Basically you can go either way, there is no clear winner. I think the GTX460 1GB price drops stole the show from the 6800 series release overall. Good move by Nvidia. If the GTX460 1GB some how lowers to $149, then there really is no reason to buy a 6850 at all.

Of course there is a clear winner - and it isn't the GTX 460. Even if the 460 1GB ends up at $150, there would still be a very good reason to buy the 6850 - that reason being the 6850 is *faster*. Not by much, sure, but it's still faster (source: the [H] review). If you really really want an Nvidia card, feel free, but don't pretend it is on par with the 6870 when it loses to the 6850.

GTX460 1Gb, at least you could trust the drivers right? Especially if you want to get a second you can run a working SLi setup instead of a crippled crossfire rig.

Just be happy both companies cards are very good and competitive with one another it is great to be a buyer right now, I will be looking for the best deal I can find on a 460,6850,6870 or 470 on or around Black Friday, not impartial to any of them as they all seem great.

Sure the GTX460FTW wins, but look at the price on that thing!
So buy a cheapo 1GB for $180 and change the clocks. :confused:

We have some 6850's and 6870's coming in to test with voltage tweaking capability, so we will see how they overclock without voltage tweaking, and then with.

Also, I am going to be very blunt here, but you are fooling yourself if you think the 6870 competes on performance with GTX 460 1GB.
Good to hear. Given the amount of OC potential in some of these 460's (950 cores), it would be interesting to see what can be done w/ a 6870. Looking forward to this and would love to see a highly clocked 460 in there.

So if I then compare the GTX 460's performance to the GT 240 does that suddenly make the GT 240 a better card? Of course not. People are talking about how badly the 6870 stomps all over the GTX 460 - close in performance they aren't.

Of course there is a clear winner - and it isn't the GTX 460. Even if the 460 1GB ends up at $150, there would still be a very good reason to buy the 6850 - that reason being the 6850 is *faster*. Not by much, sure, but it's still faster (source: the [H] review). If you really really want an Nvidia card, feel free, but don't pretend it is on par with the 6870 when it loses to the 6850.

I don't know, there are still some instances where the gtx 460 1gb out does the 6850:

HD6800-54.jpg

Plus with the GTX 460 you get better linux support, and perhaps better driver support overall.

I don't know, there are still some instances where the gtx 460 1gb out does the 6850:

HD6800-54.jpg

Plus with the GTX 460 you get better linux support, and perhaps better driver support overall.

If I used linux more then windows I admit I would take a 460 over the 6850, but thing is that most people dont but a gaming card to game in linux. Most buy them to game in windows. Beyond that I refuse to buy nvidia cards because of there poor driver support. Seems like every time I update drivers I have to wait for another update because they just screwed something up..

We have some 6850's and 6870's coming in to test with voltage tweaking capability, so we will see how they overclock without voltage tweaking, and then with.

Also, I am going to be very blunt here, but you are fooling yourself if you think the 6870 competes on performance with GTX 460 1GB.

Yay, I've been waiting for some review comparing multi AIBs so I can compare coolers as well. I plan on going as high as I can on a 6850 with stock volts as well! Too bad that shop I was going to PM against ran out of stock before any reviewers came out with this info :(

Dark Shroud said:
Just wait, Asus & MSI already have models out with better components and Gigabyte has a better fan.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...rd-review-temps-noise-power-overclocking.html
http://www.sweclockers.com/recension/12873-amd-radeon-hd-6870-och-hd-6850/21#pagehead

The Gigabyte fan isn't quiter or cooler than the Sapphire one. It's a small difference that I won't say it's worse since it could be within margin of error, but it is no better. It's hard to compare it to ASUS DirectCu as well since their models are slightly OC'd although possibly on stock volts, I'm not sure it would be fair to compare their coolers though.

I do look forward to MSI's since their HAWK cards have been impressive.

Yay overclocking shootout incoming soon heh :-P

And yeah i don't know the others but i would think that 460 1GB ~ 6850, both at stock, and that the 6870 is targetting the 470 instead.... i could be wrong but that is what i have seen.

Well this makes me glad that it will take me some time to sell my living room card and aim for whichever turns the best bang/buck (eyeing 6850 for quietness so far, a bit more time will tell).

Bottom line, the GTX460 1 gb and 6850 are two good options for someone with a 200 dollar card budget, or a sub $400 dual card rig.

Neither card "dominates" the other, don't care what the fan clubs say on either side of the fence. Get whichever brand you prefer, or get whichever is easiest on your wallet , neither card will disappoint at this price point.

its funny how people will read what they want to read on card comparisons.

Even when the words arnt there.

If I used linux more then windows I admit I would take a 460 over the 6850, but thing is that most people dont but a gaming card to game in linux. Most buy them to game in windows. Beyond that I refuse to buy nvidia cards because of there poor driver support. Seems like every time I update drivers I have to wait for another update because they just screwed something up..

Agreed. Nvidia has been dropping the ball on drivers lately and I've been sorely disappointed.

Agreed. Nvidia has been dropping the ball on drivers lately and I've been sorely disappointed.

They both drop the ball often enough. Problem is most people don't realize the time and effort required to actually get drivers done. Software is a finicky thing, and they seem to do a better job than they used to, and similarly overall to me these days.

They both drop the ball often enough. Problem is most people don't realize the time and effort required to actually get drivers done. Software is a finicky thing, and they seem to do a better job than they used to, and similarly overall to me these days.

Well I went from a 6700, 7600, 8800, 9600, & a GTX260 & never had a driver update go smoothly the 1st time. Since then I have had a 4850, 5770, 5830 & now a 6850 with no driver issues.. Of course though YMMV, but for my at-least AMD has proven to have better drivers.

Also with all the NV cards I was on nForce Chipsets & Switched to an AMD chipset the same time as I did the AMD video cards.

Same approximate performance ---> 6870 and GTX 460 (1GB version)

Prices today @ Newegg ---> $239 vs $169 (AMIR for the Zotac 1GB)

Not a tough decision, IMHO. While the 6870 might have an edge, it's not a $70 edge.

If you care more about price and less about performance, the GTX 460 is clearly a "better deal" than the 6870. Integrated graphics is an even better deal from a pure price perspective. The GTX 460 has an edge, but it's not a $169 edge. Which is why most people use that. Not a tough decision, IMHO. ;)

I really don't think you are going to miss that 1-5 fps average that the 6870 will have over the gtx460 1gb especially after you save the $70. Plus once you OC the gtx460 it is as fast as a 5870. That's a $169 card putting out the performance of a $350 5870.

I really don't think you are going to miss that 1-5 fps average that the 6870 will have over the gtx460 1gb especially after you save the $70. Plus once you OC the gtx460 it is as fast as a 5870. That's a $169 card putting out the performance of a $350 5870.

I think that the 5770 is the way to go personally. Overclocked the 5770 can even challenge 460's in SLI at higher resolutions. Way better than the +200 the 460's would cost.

Oh im sorry, i was totally making stuff up like you.

I think that the 5770 is the way to go personally. Overclocked the 5770 can even challenge 460's in SLI at higher resolutions. Way better than the +200 the 460's would cost.

Oh im sorry, i was totally making stuff up like you.

Shit I was reading down thinking this guy is on to something.. & if you throw ln2 on a 3870x2 it will smoke a 480

I'm totally stuck on what to do. I'm building a new rig and need to decide on a GPU. I do not want a GTX 470 or 480, not interested in the heat and noise.

I'll be gaming at the native resolution of my screen which is 1920 x 1080. Would like to run the following games smoothly, all maxed out:

Crysis, Crysis Warhead
Stalker Complete, Stalker Clearsky Complete, Stalker Pripyat Complete
Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2
Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas

I'm thinking a 6870 should do the trick? Thoughts?

I'm totally stuck on what to do. I'm building a new rig and need to decide on a GPU. I do not want a GTX 470 or 480, not interested in the heat and noise.

I'll be gaming at the native resolution of my screen which is 1920 x 1080. Would like to run the following games smoothly, all maxed out:

Crysis, Crysis Warhead
Stalker Complete, Stalker Clearsky Complete, Stalker Pripyat Complete
Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2
Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas

I'm thinking a 6870 should do the trick? Thoughts?
what does the rest of your build look like? I would probably go 6850 or gtx460 since they can had for much cheaper than the 6870. a small oc on either one and you will be getting 90-95% of the same performance for 50-70 bucks cheaper.

[H]'s review shows the 6870 handily beating the 1GB GTX 460 and it comes close to 5870 performance in other benchmarks. Some vendors have it for $239. You could probably find $230 or even $220 on sale. 6870 is a killer deal.

[H]'s review shows the 6870 handily beating the 1GB GTX 460 and it comes close to 5870 performance in other benchmarks. Some vendors have it for $239. You could probably find $230 or even $220 on sale. 6870 is a killer deal.
price/performance the 6850 is the much better deal especially for those that oc. the 6850 and especially the gtx460 have much more headroom for additional performance.

what does the rest of your build look like? I would probably go 6850 or gtx460 since they can had for much cheaper than the 6870. a small oc on either one and you will be getting 90-95% of the same performance for 50-70 bucks cheaper.

CPU: Core i5 760
RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600 CL8
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
PSU: Corsair HX650W

CPU: Core i5 760
RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600 CL8
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
PSU: Corsair HX650W
that is such a good system that I would see what the 6950/6970 cards have to offer. if you must buy now then I would go gtx460 1gb or 6850 and oc them a bit.

Yeah seriously battling to make a decision. I don't have a pc at the mo, just some old laptop, really killing me having to wait, there's gaming to be done!

Yeah seriously battling to make a decision. I don't have a pc at the mo, just some old laptop, really killing me having to wait, there's gaming to be done!

You will not be disappointed with the overall performance of a GTX 460, i say go and buy one now.

Anyone who claims nvidia drivers are always better than ATI drivers clearly never owned an 8800 GTX during the early days of Vista. I spent $1400 for 2 of these cards and they were f***ing paperweights for 6 months.

Anyone who claims nvidia drivers are always better than ATI drivers clearly never owned an 8800 GTX during the early days of Vista. I spent $1400 for 2 of these cards and they were f***ing paperweights for 6 months.

Are you on crack?
I had 3 8800 GTX's on Vista, was fine. However, any problems you may of had were probably due to Vista itself.
In fact i recently came back to nVidia from ATi because of the drivers.

Are you on crack?
I had 3 8800 GTX's on Vista, was fine. However, any problems you may of had were probably due to Vista itself.
yeah the first few months of Vista were horrible. I waited quite a while before getting Vista and even then many driver issues were still getting sorted out.

Are you on crack?

huh? You seriously have no issue at all?

Back when Vista first started, nVidia card was a plague on it...

Also, back then the nVxxx.sys stop responding error was widely spread, heck even now still have this issue, go search up in nVidia section you will find a long thread about it. Even with Fermi..

Not going to say which driver is better, but both have its own issue.
Some people have better luck on either one of them, doesn't mean either one of them suck.

Not one issue at all, it may of been because i didn't have Vista until the first service pack maybe? I never move OS before the first service pack. But seriously, not one issue with them, other than the fact one of the cards fans stopped working lol.

Not one issue at all, it may of been because i didn't have Vista until the first service pack maybe? I never move OS before the first service pack. But seriously, not one issue with them, other than the fact one of the cards fans stopped working lol.
well you could move to 7 without waiting on the first service pack. 7 is basically an improved version of Vista so it was actually almost perfect in beta. in fact when the beta and release candidates came out I used them just as much as Vista.

I never run the risk of using an operating system before it's first service pack, just my choice .

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1541004

This thread should tell you something.

I guess i was in teh dark when this happened. Resolved now i take it?
At this point i was busy swearing at the bit shit called ATi HD4870 and why it crashed during several games because ATi (at the time) hadn't updated their drivers to make the games physically work it seems.
AMD (ATi) drivers on a whole have been a terrible experience, nVidia on the other hand i've never experienced issues with, the only time it would see there were driver issues i was too busy beating an AMD/ATi card with my face.

I guess i was in teh dark when this happened. Resolved now i take it?
At this point i was busy swearing at the bit shit called ATi HD4870 and why it crashed during several games because ATi (at the time) hadn't updated their drivers to make the games physically work it seems.
AMD (ATi) drivers on a whole have been a terrible experience, nVidia on the other hand i've never experienced issues with, the only time it would see there were driver issues i was too busy beating an AMD/ATi card with my face.

The issue still present, not solved yet..

Back