the best tv tuner?

Depends on what you're doing with it.

The Hauppauge HVR-2250 is great all around and is a dual tuner to boot.

I like my dvico fusionhdtv 7 dual express. (newegg)

PCI-Express & dual atsc tuner. I only use it for OTA though, its supposed to do QAM, but i don't use it for that. I don't use the analog tuner(s?) on it.

Works great in windows media center, i currently use windows 7 64bit. I previously used it on vista Home premium 32bit.

The dvico app is nice too, if you dont have media center.

I've heard that the silicon dust hd homerun is also recommended, dual tuner, but it connects via ethernet instead of internal.

i want all the bells and whistles. watch two tv shows at the same time, clear sd/hd programming, record my favorite tv shows. can't think of any others but more features would be nice to have. i plan to hook it up to a 40" 1080p lcd tv

what about this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815293003

I haven't heard anything about that Asus card, good or bad. The specs seem fine for what you want to do. But with TV Tuner cards, especially the ClearQAM enabled ones, it's all about the drivers. If the drivers are bad or not updated frequently, you will have problems.

The 2 most popular dual tuner do everything solutions are the Hauppauge 2250 and the HDHomerun. Both are rock solid with excellent driver support. I use the 2250 and it does a great job. That Asus is quite a bit cheaper though and might be worth a shot. If you decide to go with it, please report back and let us know how it worked out for you.

That Asus card looks like it's a single tuner card.

For the price, that's what I assumed, but it does say this in Specs under Features:

"Watch analog or digital TV and record another, or record two different channels at the same time."

It could be that they use seperate ATSC and ClearQAM tuners, so they mean you can record one show OTA while recording another on QAM. Either way, they aren't very clear.

with the Hauppauge 2250 can you watch two QAM channels at the same time?

Yes you can. The one thing to keep in mind about the 2250 is that there is only one TV input. You can either connect your cable feed or your antenna feed, not both at the same time. There are 2 RF connectors on the card, but one is for FM radio only.

I just got the AverTV PCIe Combo G2 card. 2 connections with 2 tuners. Seems to work quite well.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not many hoops to jump through and it will receive all channels from your cable provider. I have two of them and a Hauppauge 2250, best of both worlds.

Back