The best space strategy game ever made is...

Sins of a Solar Empire is one of the most disappointing games that I have ever played. It was the most stupid strategy-less space concept I had ever seen. Everything just focuses on the hyperdrive lanes that tunnel and bottleneck everything.

Homeworld is probably the best space strategy in recent memory...and that was over 10 years ago!

Master of Orion 2, then Star Wars: Rebellion, finally Homeworld.

And the SW:Empire at War, is just worth a notice for the pure fun of destroying Yavin 4 and using AT-ATs :p

Master of Orion 2, then Star Wars: Rebellion, finally Homeworld.

And the SW:Empire at War, is just worth a notice for the pure fun of destroying Yavin 4 and using AT-ATs :p

Good ol SW Rebellion, I really wish they would make a new one. I had a lot of fun playing that game. Game came out in 1997 but I still get on a little bit of a kick here and there (think I last played it about 2 years ago). I liked how you could run different missions like assasination, abduction, sabotage, espionage, research, diplomacy. Though the game had some big flaws to. The space combat wasn't all that great and moved to slowly and the ai was insanely easy once you figured it out and just like Sins theres no campaign. Personally I prefer skirmishes but I like to play through a campaign once.

I still don't know why I never got into Sins. I've played the original before and it looked interesting but I just never did get into it. It sounds like Sins Trinity is similar to SW Rebellion but with faster combat. So I might have to try this new one out.

I definitely get a real kick out of Sins. On easy difficulties, you can bottleneck pretty well, but on harder settings you don't tend to have the time or resources to dig in as effectively. Possible that I'm just doing it wrong, of course.

But yeah, SW: Rebellion. Great times. The backwards compatibility keeps getting harder, but it's still a favorite of mine. Been years though...best way to play on Win7, 64 bit?

There honestly hasn't been a good space 4X game out in ages.

MOO2 is definitely the top of my short list though... followed by Ascendancy (with the Antag patch) then Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (with the Alien Crossfire expansion). Honorable mention goes to Armada 2525.

I really tried to get into the Space Empires, the Sword of the Stars, the Galactic Civilizations and the Sins of a Solar Empires as well as other entries in the space 4X genre but I found myself eventually returning to the top three or four.

I definitely get a real kick out of Sins. On easy difficulties, you can bottleneck pretty well, but on harder settings you don't tend to have the time or resources to dig in as effectively. Possible that I'm just doing it wrong, of course.

But yeah, SW: Rebellion. Great times. The backwards compatibility keeps getting harder, but it's still a favorite of mine. Been years though...best way to play on Win7, 64 bit?

Don't know if it will work on Win7 but heres a way to get it to work on Vista.

http://www.swrebellion.com/wiki/Rebellion:Windows_Vista

The Virtual box way is how I did it and I'm sure that would work on Win7.

I will revisit Sins when it has a campaign lives up to that lofty backstory. Not before.

I thought SW: Rebellion had some of the worst reviews ever. One of the reasons I didn't get it. I might have played the demo back then but never played the full game.

I would have to go with the Homeworld games. It's not just the gameplay but the story and the ambiance of it that I lvoed so much.

I clicked this thread expecting it to be about MOO2 only to find out that many people have decided that being wrong is more fun.

But yeah, SW: Rebellion. Great times.

Played the shit out of that in college. My roommate and I would play against each other, going totally non-aggression for a set number of days, then meet somewhere with our entire fleets and duke it out on auto mode. Our computers usually crashed before anyone actually won.

I've some how never heard of Moo2 but after reading about it, it sounds like a more advanced version of SW: Rebellion (funny since Moo2 is actually 16 months older). I might have to check that out sometime though I don't know if I can play a game of that genre that old without having a nostalgic connection to it. I wonder how well a game like that would work as a smart phone port. Play it on the go when you have some spare time but not around your computer.

I liked Homeworld. Why there hasn't been a Homeworld 3 I have no idea. You'd think it would be a no-brainer.

I've been getting a bunch of emails from Stardock lately trying to get me to pre-purchase Rebellion. I'm on the fence though because I have the other three (since release and I love them, esp. Entrenchment with Sacrifice of Angels (Star Trek) mod and the Maelstrom Mod) and don't know if I will want to bother getting another SOASE game. Those two mods alone makes it like I have 9 different games.
Anyone know if I can use my cd key from Impulse/Gamestop to sctivate them on Steam. I think I tried it once but can't remember?

I've been getting a bunch of emails from Stardock lately trying to get me to pre-purchase Rebellion. I'm on the fence though because I have the other three (since release and I love them, esp. Entrenchment with Sacrifice of Angels (Star Trek) mod and the Maelstrom Mod) and don't know if I will want to bother getting another SOASE game. Those two mods alone makes it like I have 9 different games.
Anyone know if I can use my cd key from Impulse/Gamestop to sctivate them on Steam. I think I tried it once but can't remember?

I've played both those mods...the latest version of Maelstrom is pretty good...curtailed the pirates, which grew exponentially without end. I like SoA, but like if you're the Borg, can you lose? Still a good mod.

I can tell you, it looks like so far they just added on a titan. In maelstrom they spawn on their own (dreadnaughts). In the Beta you have to tech up and build them but you are limited to only one. It's not the finished product but I'm sure the fan base wants more than one titan at a time. There are two groups within a faction...the loyalists and the rebels...both have slightly different tech trees and titans. They only let you play TEC for now. No Advent or Vasari.

I don't regret buying because I love this damn game so I'll buy anything that's made for it.

I love this all time under-rated game called STARTOPIA.... fun, fun, and very hard game that doesn't even require much hardware, yet looks really decent for its age. LAN games can easily take a few days playing coop against hard enemies.

Fun game, and I don't even really like space age games much!

Back