The best PC case I ever owned was a...

My most recent case is the Phanteks Enthoo Elite, but my all-time favorite case has to be the Silverstone TJ07 it replaced. Thankfully I managed to repurpose it, and I still like it way more than the Phanteks, it's just so clean and moddable.

After trying out many case for watercooling (the biggest being thermaltake X9), my favorite is definetely thermaltake x71 (Dual loop with slim 420mm in front, 2X fat 360 rads in lower chamber, huge 360 (2x180mm) rad up top and monster 120 mm rad out the back). It was/is the best I found for watercooling (far better than X9 actually) while being modestly priced and having some features even 900D doesnt have (PSU mount is definetely better on X71 + dont need a friend to carry it around).

SMA8, I am torn though. I dislike moving something that big, parts are a rare (need additional rad brackets), it almost makes me want to pack it up and grab another large case. Maybe a 1000D or MM... But to be honest I am sure a 011 Dynamic would work just fine with fewer rads...

I try to make it so that every new case I purchase is my new favourite.

So my current fave is a Thermaltake X31. It's very stout and provides good airflow through its meshy front. My biggest gripe about it is the ugly ass Thermaltake logo on the front panel.

My Lian Li v1000b with a Koolance setup installed into the top of it... PC4--1025BK I think is the Koolance model. Loved that case. Then my Silverstone TJ09 after that.. very different cases but loved them both. The TJ09 has horrible cable management though, nowhere to hide cables in the main compartment. The case I always admired but never had was the Silverstone TJ07. Such an elegant case.

...and I am about to throw down on a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic ... Arctic if I can find it. The gaming rig 2019 refresh project.

Cooler Master SL600M by far. For a silence oriented, aircooled gaming PC, this is the best case I have had. Even beats my old Silverstone FT02.
Its really a "plan your build" PC though and not for beginners.
Gamer Nexus have an excelent review on it:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3384-cooler-master-sl-600m-review-thermals-build-quality-noise

Too bad they are only testing the default fan configuration. Problem with the default fan configuration, is that its not suitable for torture tests with passive exhaust. In fact, its extremely well suited for passive intake and active exhaust when you use the standard horizontal GPU mount. This is one of the few cases that can do negative air pressure very well without dust buildup. If Gamer Nexus would have moved one of the bottom fans to the top, this case would have done very well on their CPU stress tests too. They got a 4C temp reduction by just removing the top cover, so I wish they would have investigated that further!

The space between the GPU and bottom has no components that heats up the air and GPU can get colder air from the bottom even without fans with a negative air pressure in the case.

With fans off in the bottom, Noctua NH-U14 CPU cooler with 1 fan, only a single 140mm fan on low RPM suspended with Noctua rubber mounts under the top back fan bracket, I can run games with lower temps and noise then the same system in a Fractal design R4 with 3 140mm intake (front+bottom) and 2 140mm exhaust (back and top).

Its not perfect in any way (HD takes some planning and perhaps Sata extension and multiplyer cables), 200mm fan mount is not standard and Noctua 200mm fans fit in bottom barely, while they dont fit on top. Even CMs old 200mm Master fans (the blue and red LED) are too thick to be used on top. You can move the bottom ones to the top, but though they are quiet enough for most users, they were not quiet enough for me.

But, with a little effort, this case did everything I wanted and the reward was great. Love this case for that reason!

I loved my Air 540 but wanted tempered glass, I waited and waited for a refresh of it with glass and even though they made the 240, I don't know if it's coming so I ended up getting the LianLi PC-011 Dynamic. By far my favorite case of all of them I've owned. Probably about 10-15 cases in the last 20+ ish years, I change cases a lot... but this one is sticking around.

Best case I've ever owned.. Probably this Silverstone SG13 It is simple and easy to work with. I love the way it looks, but material quality is about a 7 out of 10. I wish the metal sheets were more thicker so it have more strength and less flexing when empty, but that is like about every other case in the market now. Old OEM cases were built like tanks.

More CoolerMaster ATC supremacy.

IMG_0941.JPG

I just went to NewEgg to see when I bought it and I've been putting new builds in this since 2002. 17 years and its still solid as a rock, just wish I had managed to hang onto the original black drive bay covers. Anyone know where to find something that would fit? I bought some Lian-Li covers a couple of years ago, but the brackets were too short.

Definitely the CaseLabs Bullet BH2. Large enough to fit a big video card and a 240 rad, but still very compact. Not to mention the very sturdy construction, love it.

Definitely the CaseLabs Bullet BH2. Large enough to fit a big video card and a 240 rad, but still very compact. Not to mention the very sturdy construction, love it.
I feel the same about the Fractal Design D5 ~ amazing dust filtering, plenty of space for rads, sound dampening material, all in a mid-tower, and at a $150 price point.
The D6 they released a bit ago is even better with a PSU cover for aesthetics

My Corsair 800D for sure. I've had the case for quite some time now. The only part of the case that has not held up is the rubber grommets/washers where the cables/hoses go through metal parts of the case. Over time they have become dry, stiff, and begun to crack/disintegrate. I still plan to use the case for many more years.

My Antec Super-Lanboy is a close second, but just too small of a case overall after using something like the 800D. The Super-Lanboy was a great case for me at the time though as back then I was going to a LAN party pretty much every single weekend and it really was a great case for that purpose.

My Antec Super-Lanboy is a close second, but just too small of a case overall after using something like the 800D. The Super-Lanboy was a great case for me at the time though as back then I was going to a LAN party pretty much every single weekend and it really was a great case for that purpose.

I don't think I could own a case called a Super-LanBoy. It's at BEST a poorly translated Anime series about a kid with a magic helmet, and at worst a Human Centipede sort of thing made of toddlers and CAT5e cable.

How do you decide between all the cases and choose a favorite? I should have a museum of all the cases I’ve loved, each has a special place
- Coolermaster ATC110 silver - first aluminum case (retired)
- Lian Li 2000B - dream dual system WC (retired)
- Ahanix DVine 5 - 1st HTPC (retired)
- Lian Li B70 - 1st home server (retired)
- Lian Li Q25 - current mini itx FreeNAS
- Ncase M1 - mini itx gaming (given away)
- Lian Li Q37 - mini itx WC gaming (given away)
- Lian Li O11/O11ROG - current gaming rig/new hardline build
- Lian Li T70W - current bench

Just got a Supermicro SC842 for a new server build for my rack... no opinions yet
Have my eye out for the upcoming O11 ROG v2

Last edited:
I love mine. I'd be rocking the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG except that its 5.25" externally-accessible cage and my CPU water cooler don't fit in the same space together. The case I'm using comfortably supports both.

I used Antec for years, Super LANboy (I loved that thing, still have the carrying straps for my newer cases). Antec 900, Antec P180. 900 got the most use of those, though I loved, loved the exterior design of the P180.
I've since moved onto the Fractal Design Define R5 and I honestly don't think i'm gonna move away from Fractal cases for quite a while. This thing is SUCH a joy to work with.
42580231_10161343075915389_339210233500925952_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
42513405_10161342998205389_632626696763211776_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Guess I haven't taken a picture since I moved or added in my other two new slots of RAM. I wish this case had a shroud, but I guess thats what i'll be doing in a future build....

TBH the Lian Li i have been on for the past decade or so.
BUT it is hard for me to tell as for a long time any case of mine have been modified by me to suit my needs.

tumblr_pqfbcxny7S1wxv8ejo1_1280.jpg

ATM the case are a mess with the new hardware just thrown in there, in the original form almost all you could see was the MOBO and its components + the tubes for cooling CPU / GPU / RAM.
The Lian Li are of course window modified as i like, and a regular square or rectangular window don't cut it for me ( real glass ) and the inside changed to suit the project back in the day.
And of course also powder painted by yours truly.
I am currently planning on using the Thermaltake Level 20 XT for the current hardware, but i will also have to "hack" some into that case to satisfy my insatiable urge to be "not quite like the other boys on the playground"
Want 2 H2O loops in new setup, one for CPU and one for GFX.

I really wish i had the tools and workshop to build my 100% own case.

Been thru a slew of Antec - cooler master MIDI --> server tower/ cube ASO cases for my own computers and others.

I loved my Fractal Arc Midi for how simple and clean it was. This was the last build I bothered installing sound deadening on and probably the last time I will ever do hard tubing WC.

Fractal.jpg

My Custom Spotswood cases were the most fun however. Lots of fond mining and folding memories.

folding.jpg

folding2.jpg

mining.jpg

Supermicro SC-750 full tower

It's old... It's heavy as hell.. and every computer I have built in nearly the last 20 years has found a home in it. I actually have two of them!

Hehe my lightweight lian li case, well as i could not source sheet ALU cheap enough, all my work inside are done in 1 mm sheet metal, so that pretty much doubled the weight on the case.
I don't mind heavy as i don't move my computer case often, so even now where i am old weak and on the way out i do not mind. :)

Best case I've ever worked with was the original NZXT Phantom. The plastic body was really cheap, though, and got beat up and ugly to where I replaced it after just 4 years. I replaced it with an Enthoo Luxe TG, which is a great looking case, well built, and provides great cooling. It is a pain in the ass to work with, though. If Corsair is still making the Air 540 in the future that will definitely be my next case. For the most part I haven't had a perfect experience in picking out cases despite my research.

countless cases of countless builds for me lol.
my first favorite was SS Raven 3, however they decided to use some cazy "tough" but also easy to shatter plastic on it, otherwise I would still be using it to this day, seeing as I had to go out and buy extra long sata cables and such.

currently in define C (no window) black
next case likely to be Define R6 unless they "wise up" and release another besides the S/S2 that can use 3x140 intake, I like the C, I really do, sadly the stupid psu tunnel does not help temps and makes wiring (especially to the sata) way too terrible, besides this is such a lovely "small" case, I would love one that had full breath through filter with no damn holes on the sides where front "clips in" which means if you want cooler, it sucks in extra dust, want filter proper.

The C and R6 IMO are "the best" for filters, the S2 "should have" used the S 3x movable adjust top thing but back it with the dust filter like the C has with all their "smarts" am sure they could have figured out a way to have silence AND with a simple "flick" is now max ventilate WITH dust filtering, also while they are at it, stop damn well doing a revited in place wiring tunnel, just use a fue thumb screw instead of rivets damn it all to hell, or, if you force to have psu shroud, include 2 ssd trays on top of "in the box" along with w/e behind the mobo tray or "normal" drive area as well.

Define R6 or possibly something "similar" like Obsidian 750D, unless something else should come along that makes me go "I need it now o_O"
something awaits Dragon's new Ryzen build.

Pretty happy with my PC-P50. 2x 140mm fan side panel coming in today.

I loved my Air 540 but wanted tempered glass, I waited and waited for a refresh of it with glass and even though they made the 240, I don't know if it's coming so I ended up getting the LianLi PC-011 Dynamic. By far my favorite case of all of them I've owned. Probably about 10-15 cases in the last 20+ ish years, I change cases a lot... but this one is sticking around.

While I love my current Corsair Carbide Air 540 - I just finished watching some YouTube Best of 2018 Case reviews which mention the LianLi PC011 and it looks like a mighty fine case. I am tempted to pull the trigger @ Amazon (since it's 10 bucks off right now) but my next build isn't scheduled until the Ryzen 3xxx drops. It looks especially sharp with the optional white paint job.

Built so many systems using literally thousands of different cases over the last 30 years, I cannot remember all the product codes! A couple of Lian Li, InWin & Antec chassis stand out to me from days gone by but more recently a CoolerMaster chassis which has a Hot Swap SATA drive bay included as standard as well as a switched dual SATA back plane to change between two drives on the fly is right up there alongside the Corsair Crystal 570X that I have just used to rebuild my personal rig in to. I cannot believe how far chassis design has come in the last few years with regards to air flow, cable management & the loss of external drive bays for optical drives!!!! I never thought I would see the day where I built a system that did not have any optical drive installed, let alone actually using 2.5" drives in mid sized ATX chassis or Terabytes of data on a PCB that is around the same size as an old 30pin SIMM which was huge for a few KB!!

I only build them for me and my parents, but I loved the p180/p182 cases, but they were harder to work with. Over the last few years, I've also used the Fractal Design Define R4 and R5. I like them quit a bit too. One negative is that if they're on carpeting you'll need to put something underneath the case, or it'll block the bottom intake (don't need it now, but in the past I just used a few pieces of cardboard to put under the feat. OH and speaking of feat the rubber on the feet sometimes comes off if you slide the case.

But over all, it's easy to work with. I assume the R6 is even better, but I didn't know it existed until 2 minutes ago.

Back