The best hard gaming mouse pad?

whats the point of 8200dpi? wouldnt that make your mouse move extremely fast? I have the m60 and I use it on the lowest default dpi setting.

Realistically, marketing and nothing else. Your resolution would have to be enormous with a sensitivity bordering on absurdity to ever need it. Like 5760x1080 at nearly 2 inches / 360.

Also I've had both hard and cloth pads, and don't see the point to hard any more. QCK+ is cheap, gigantic, smooth as shit unless you're grinding like 20 pounds of cheeto dust into the fabric every day, and won't do a thing to your mouse feet.

I'll tell you what...the Razer Sphex is the BEST gaming surface/pad/etc. that I've used...and it's basically a giant sticker you put on your desk. No edge to worry about, it never moves, it's flat (which I prefer) and slick as can be. It's like $18 too which is even better. I've used every pad known to man...Ironclad, I have 2 Ratzpads, every other pad you can think of and nothing comes close to this giant sticker lol

Razer Sphex doesnt move unless you unstick it 2 or 3 times in order to clean it. After that your only chance to continue using it is to glue it to some other item like a worn out Destructor (in my case) with good rubber underside.
Sphex = no more for me, sorry. Its surface was good as Exactmat's or even Destructor's, but nothing more. Its adhesive is non-durable and even if you don't detach it from the desk, it tends to deteriorate and unstick partly, especially if you use it in hot weather. Go for something like Exactmat or SS 4HD, much better grip with the desk with no sticky glue-ish wearing out stuff. Also the pad wears out more quickly than Destructor - in just about 5-6 months. Its only advantage is it's thin as sheet of paper, and its price is reasonable (no wonder for what you get - actually it seems to be the same sheet that is glued on top of the Exactmat speed surface). You'd be better off buying a real rubber-base pad for a firm grip on the desk. I've tried some other thin pads that stick to the desk with glue-like bottom (actually a specially processed underside), they all unstick forever if you take them off for cleaning couple of times.

I'm using a Steelseries Experience l-2 glass blue pad for about 2 weeks. I'm not a gamer (playing FPS but very seldom) but I require perfect gliding and control in my work and this pad which would never wear out (I hope and they say so) is giving me the perfect surface I was looking for in my conscious life ever since I'm using a mouse (15 years?!). Cloth pads tend to hinder smooth and fast glide, also get dirty in no time - need washing and time to dry, hard plastic pads tend to wear out quickly (well, not the first 5-6-8 months which is rather good (cheap ones get dumped in no more than 10 days)). This SS one seems the best ever.

I have a glass icemat too. No worries about it wearing out, ever, makes it a winner in my eyes. Hard to find though, I had to get mine on ebay as new old stock.

Any plastic or cloth pad will wear unevenly with heavy use.

Icemat here, as well. Mine's black and at least 3 years old. Still looks as if it's brand new. I go through phases where I'll use it for a few months, then switch to a cloth pad for a while.

I also recently got a Func 1030L (photo on previous page). It's pretty good, but won't be replacing my Icemat.

EDIT: Trying a new pad, the Mionix Propus 380. It's really nice and only $20 bucks.

0D11A758-D5FF-4A0D-BB99-A690D032D54D-462-0000000A5C9CA43A_zpsd9e96d5e.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using a Ratpadz XT for years. At one point I tried out a Func 1030 (Archetype?) because I always was eyeing it before I got the Ratpadz--but just didn't like the feel as much.

<--- Another Razer Sphex user.

The adhesive has held up VERY well, and even if it didn't, they're so cheap I could go through two or three of them (or more) before I'd approach the cost of a single aluminum base mouse surface.

It might help that I have a glass table that this thing is stuck to, but the adhesive has never once been a problem in any way.

EDIT:

I realize that the Sphex isn't for everyone. It has zero portability, for one thing. It might be too small for some users. It's not going to work with every desk, especially ones with a natural wood or textured finish. But for a glass desk and no need to move it - OMG amazing.

Steelseries SX fiber coated aluminum is my favorite mousepad of all time. The only problem is you can't buy them anymore :( Good thing mine is still in good shape.

I generally prefer cloth mouse pads anymore and use the steelseries variety, but if I were to pick up a hard mouse pad, I wouldn't think about anything else than the ratpadz.

I had one about eight years ago and then decided I preferred the cloth style, and bequeathed it to a friend and it's still been going for three years or so.

I picked another up for a friend last christmas and he is a big fan.

my vote is for the anodized aluminum pads, low profile, easy to keep clean, tracks well with laser mice

Is that a metal one? I heard about those a few times.. always wanted to try them out. but need a good excuse to get a new one :(

I'm currently using the Corsair MM600 and I like it quite a bit. I used the Func surfance 1030 before that and never had any problems with it. I would recommend either. The Corsair MM600 is going to be harder on mouse feet than the Func 1030 though.

The best cloth mouse pad is Turtle Beach Drift. It’s super smooth and comfortable. Allows pinpoint accuracy too. SteelSeries QcK is also a really good cloth one. The best plastic or synthetic one is definitely SteelSeries Dex. If you haven’t tried it then you’re definitely missing out. Someone with a top quality mouse who has this mouse pad will be faster than you and have better accuracy. Corsair Vengeance MM600 is great too. Not lesser in any way really, but I find the SteelSeries Dex to be just perfect. There are still plenty of other good ones though. This list has pretty much all the best mouse pads in the right order.

I have a couple of Steelseries SX mouse pads that are my favorite. But I about wore the first one out before I found out I could buy silicone lubricant to help it last longer.

I also have several Ice mats (the original smaller version) that I keep around for when I wear out both the Steelseries SX. The first Ice mat is also worn quit a bit (but still seems to work fine!).

Tried the Ratpadz, but didn't like it (I prefer the cooler glass or metal pads) and it was quite worn after only 6 months (yes, I wear out mouse pads and mouse feet quite fast for some reason).

I have used the Ratpadz and the 9HD. I like the 9HD better only due to the thickness of teh Ratpadz raising my mouse from my desk. I am currently on a Steelseries cloth pad to see how I like it.

I have a Razer Scarab thats almost 5 years old. Worn down a bit and quite smooth in the middle where most of the action happens but the rest is in good shape.

Been probably 15 years since I last used a cloth pad. Not sure what to replace this thing with or if I will just yet.

Doubt I'll go for the huge mats since my keyboard is not moving anywhere and it would just be pointless. I like the softness of the mats but the smoothness of the hard surfaces. The MM600 seems like a good fit. Just dunno yet.

Other than some black scuffs from my previous mouse feet this thing is still fine overall.

I have an old mouse pad I got with an Alienware machine that is still in working shape. I kept it forever and although I keep in in my laptop bag these days and use the soft Razer Golgotha pads now, that old Func pad was the shit. That mouse pad was the best thing I got from that whole computer purchase followed close by the Logitech MX518 they sent with it.

If Func is still making mouse pads then that's where you should look for a rigid pad.

I've always been partial to cloth pads, just recently picked up a Ttesports Ladon mouse pad and I have to say I absolutely love it.

It's almost a cross between a hard pad and cloth pad. It has a synthetic woven feel. Also water (and beer) resistant so if you spill you can just wipe it right off.

Mouse pad preferences are very subjective, without giving one a try it's very hard to find out what you like.

Ratpadz XT are a great mousing surface (and support [H] too!), but I have to say my personal favorite is out-of-print - The SteelSeries SX.

The SX offers a black anodized aluminum surface with just the slightest bit of texture. Every mouse I've used tracks well on it. Its easy to clean, cool to the touch, and the non-slip texture on the back don't let me down even though the pad itself is so light (well, for thin metal anyway). I've not found anything to date that comes close to the comfort, ease of use/care, and performance. I should mention that I also use one of those "IMAK Ergo Mouse Cushions", to support my wrist/palm as well and the SX is large enough to handle the mouse and the cushion without being too huge. The SteelSeries branding itself is unassuming - just a small logo less than a square inch on the top right corner of the pad.

The SX was relatively expensive back when it was being manufactured, in comparison to other hard and soft pads; SteelSeries even had a "Why should I pay this much for a mousepad" on its FAQ and listed the comparative cost of materials and production being a factor. I am assuming this is part of why they stopped offering the SX, especially when they are selling some items from their current lineup like their DeX cloth pad, for not much less. The only ostensibly similar item I've seen is Razer's Manticor, but i've not used it so I am unsure of the comparison.

If anyone is interested in metal mousepads and other unique made-in-the-US accessories, I'm in talks to form a little side project and if it pans out I may be able to offer a few unique items :)

I just use my wood desk but I noticed the feet on my mice get worn and chewed up, collecting gunk where the pad meets its socket, anyone have recommendations for mice feet upgrades?

I just use my wood desk but I noticed the feet on my mice get worn and chewed up, collecting gunk where the pad meets its socket, anyone have recommendations for mice feet upgrades?

PTFE tape works really well. Just tape over the existing mouse feet. I still use a mouse pad because I don't want to ruin my desk though. I use a Logitech G440. I prefer minimal friction.

Another vote for Ratpadz. Think mine are over 5 years old and still look brand new.

PTFE tape works really well. Just tape over the existing mouse feet. I still use a mouse pad because I don't want to ruin my desk though. I use a Logitech G440. I prefer minimal friction.

I've never had any self adhesive PTFE tape. If its not self adhesive, how do you attach it to the mouse?

I've never had any self adhesive PTFE tape. If its not self adhesive, how do you attach it to the mouse?

I don't think it would work without some kind of double sided adhesive or carefully applied glue.

I use this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZ16X4 which is self adhesive. I saw some others on amazon too. Just make sure you get it wide enough so you can cover the pad with one piece.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the hard mouse pad that came with my Alienware M18x. Had it for a couple years now and it served me well.

When the current inventory of Ratpadz is gone, we will produce no more. End of life and getting out of the mousepad business. You heard it here first.

Are there any decent hard-pads in the 8x8 range nowadays??

I bought this Targus one they sold at Fry's for almost a decade, but it no longer exists....

(I have limited keyboard tray real estate etc.)

12x12 .1875" glass sheet with eight 3M adhered attached underside prepped and coated topside with bed-liner spray lapped on 80/100/120/240/400/600/800 then lightly sprayed with sillycone spray to allow the mouse "feet"to have almost zeeeero resistance. ;)

SS

12x12 .1875" glass sheet with eight 3M adhered attached underside prepped and coated topside with bed-liner spray lapped on 80/100/120/240/400/600/800 then lightly sprayed with sillycone spray to allow the mouse "feet"to have almost zeeeero resistance. ;)

SS
I skipped all these steps and just bought a satin glass and cut it to my desired size. Then used some self adhesive PTFE tape from Amazon and works great. :D It's so inexpensive that anyone should try it before buying anything else.

I use a leftover piece of epoxy resin countertop (The black countertops you had in chemistry lab at school).

Pretty smooth, and the most durable thing I could find.

Well, I've been using an SNES Mousepad for 23 years now, and it still works. I don't know what kind of plastic they made that thing out of, but it's amazingly durable. The mouse itself, though... didn't do so well. The rollers got dirty/clogged and I lost the ball.

uuv9JSa.jpg

Someone should analyze one of those things and try to make something out of the same material with a similar design.

Back