The Best Graphics Cards at Every Price Point. AMD vs Nvidia.

true, this is why I say its usually something else with the rest of the system though, different configurations, different drivers, PC's are complex many things can go wrong, but its not specific to either of the IHV's in recent history.

There are vendor specific issues that have been documented though. If we want to cite something relatively minor and non-controversial I'm pretty sure both vendors in their drive release notes do have documented unresolved issues specific to themselves.

Also in terms of circumstances it isn't just hardware configuration. You also have to factor in usage and differing sensitivity/acceptance levels.

You might be surprised how many people end up with Nvidia simply because they had a poor day one experience with their new AMD video card.
And then they tell their friends, "I bought an AMD card and it sucked so I returned it" which causes their friends to buy Nvidia... Domino effect. Fast forward 10 years... 18% marketshare.

AMD should do something about those DoA rates I posted a few months ago!

This is absolutely correct. I still build and game with a group of about 8 close friends. We all turn to eachother for advice. When one of us has a bad experience with something, we'll bind together to find a solution. If solution can't be found, then it spoils for all of us, not just one. As each of us have other circles of friends in our areas, it does the domino affect.

Remon said:
If that had happened with a 970 I bet you'd blame the vendor and not Nvidia.

Not at all. If it's an issue, it's an issue... As Limitedaccess mentioned above. AMD knows of the blackscreen issue with the catalyst/driver install.

I don't doubt that the 390 is a great card. And I'm not saying that my issues will keep me from possibly trying it in another build (as said before, it may very well have been the entire configuration together). But it'll be about 9-12 months before I build myself a new tower. And if the issue has been resolved, then I will more than likely give it another go.

But everyone has an affection for things we've deemed "old reliable". And when issues arise that we may not have time to settle (for me, its limited build / tweak time before a deployment) and will fall back on things we've relied on in the past.

Last edited:
Everyone wins. Giant triple-fan cards, single-fan, single 8-pin 970s, low power draw, overclocking, modders, people with less than $300 that still want to stare at GTA V eye candy, selling a bundled game, used buyers.

Absurdly quiet cards like the 960, though not a performance beast necessarily.

There are vendor specific issues that have been documented though. If we want to cite something relatively minor and non-controversial I'm pretty sure both vendors in their drive release notes do have documented unresolved issues specific to themselves.

Also in terms of circumstances it isn't just hardware configuration. You also have to factor in usage and differing sensitivity/acceptance levels.

Well of course drivers is software there will always be bugs.

Have there been no attempts for a 3rd company to enter the GPU market? I'm sure there are a lot of reasons not to, but it can't be impossible. In fact, if done right, it could be very lucrative.

its hard, how many times has Intel tried to enter into the discrete market and failed? Twice so far, its not resources only that is needed to be competitive, its engineering capabilities and that is hard to get at least to be competitive with AMD and nV.

I have to agree .. I been buying video cards from both camps since 2002 and have never had to RMA a card with the only bad drivers really coming from Nvidia as my 260GTX would always get the display driver has stopped or the driver that fired video cards because Nvidia forget to add fan profiles..

The black screen issue for Hawaii is very odd as I have owned a 290 and a non-ref 290x and have yet to see the issue come up. The 290x has been one the finest video cards I have ever own as it has never not wanted to work as it should and just runs hours on end without making much heat.

but I have a working FX5900 XT/7900GT/8800GTS 320Mb /8800GT to name afew that I still own and I stand behind the HD7950 as the best card every made.

Well there is the weird issue I noticed when Mantle released: AMD CPU users had virtually no issue with the driver, whereas Intel users had to attempt the update 3 times to get it to take. Now I am not trying to make some inane assertion here about CPUs just that there must have been something that was creating the issue during the update process. I don't have any real clues other than rational speculation, but it would go a long way to speak to why there are a number that have issues whilst others don't.

Back