The best gaming mouse EVER is back

I received my MX518 last week, and tried it out over the weekend. Compared to the G400 that I had been using, the left and right buttons were much louder, and the scroll wheel "ticks" as it spun were much less distinct. Clicking down on the scroll wheel felt "mushy" as well. These issues were enough for me to return it. YMMV.

Hah I was hoping to a the MX518 when opening this thread. I used mine until it started double clicking. Too bad it isn't the cool grey and black pressed looking pattern.

I think Logitech G502 is the best
Once you get used to cool metal scroll wheel there is just no going back :cool:

I bought one a few weeks ago and absolutely love it!

The DeathAdder is the perfect mouse for me ergonomically and was my current favorite for about a decade but the Logitech G502 is the sensor I wanted. Once you use that sensor it's hard to go back.

The G MX518 is now my new favorite. While it's shape isn't as perfect ergonomically as the DA, it's awfully damn close. But best of all, that wonderful sensor is surgical!! It's gotta be the best on the market, it's easily the best of the gaming live I own and I own about a dozen.

Naa it aint (The best gaming mouse EVER), the Logitech G502 Hero is mad good.
As long as it remains reliable this is what I will recommend.

I still have an MX518 but it didnt get much use for a long time and when it eventually did it developed a cable fault (I think).
It sort of works if you are ok with waiting a moment every so often.

g502 might be more butt-ugly but the shell is similar in size and shape. If it's uncomfortable for you the 518 might be as well. Sometimes it is not a smaller mouse or diff shape that fixes this, but just raising or lowering your chair at desk. Otherwise maybe a smaller mouse like the G Pro would be more comfortable.

I would like to point out the g502 (if not the Hero version) will have the pwm3366 - tried and true and arguably the best optical sensor ever made. So if you're happy with it I'd say you have no need to get the mx518 other than aesthetics.
This 518 has the hero sensor which is relatively new and detailed info will become more available over time as people pick it apart and study it. I daresay at 2100 DPI or lower the Hero will perform just as well as the best of them.
IMO you'd have to play twitchy FPS at a very high level (and at sensitivity settings much higher than most competitive players use) before you'd notice any problem with most of today's modern high performance optical sensors.

I'll be waiting for it to go on sale in the $30-$40 range before I grab one to play with.. but I will definately be getting one of these!
The shape of the 518 is nothing like the 502. The latter was clearly made for claw grip, and it is overall a lot smaller. I'm not a big fan of the 502, but I absolutely love the 518

The shape of the 518 is nothing like the 502. The latter was clearly made for claw grip, and it is overall a lot smaller. I'm not a big fan of the 502, but I absolutely love the 518

There are differences due to styling, but the 518 and 502 ARE similar in size and shape. Perhaps you are thinking of the G Pro which is exactly all of those things you mentioned (smaller overall and suitable for claw grip).

I own the og MX518 and the early G502 (non Hero version) and I stand by what I wrote. They are similar - but don't take my word for it - you can see the size specs from Logitech website on both. They are for the newer versions (G502 Hero and MX518 Legendary) and the differences between the two are in millimeters.

I also own both the 502 and the 518 (I have a mouse fetish and buy a new mouse a few times a year) and when you hold them up next to each other they do appear to be about the same size but the 518 is a little taller and a little fatter. It ain't by much but it's just enough to fill up my hand better and it's just a lot easier to move around than the 502. Don't get me wrong, the 502 is a superb mouse, easily one of the best on the market but for my hand, the MX518 is a little better. I also own the G400 and while it's basically the same shape of the 518, the sensor isn't as good and that makes a huge difference.

My main gripe against the 502 is the Batman styling. The thumb rest took a little getting used to but I grew to like that. I do agree that in spite of their similarities they do have different feel to them - and I do prefer the feel of the 518, but they are similar enough that I felt if 502 causes wrist pain the 518 probably would as well.

I also own the G400 and while it's basically the same shape of the 518, the sensor isn't as good and that makes a huge difference.
If I put my 502 guts inside my G400 shell I would consider it the perfect mouse! Until then I will eventually try the new 518 and its Hero sensor one of these days.

There are differences due to styling, but the 518 and 502 ARE similar in size and shape. Perhaps you are thinking of the G Pro which is exactly all of those things you mentioned (smaller overall and suitable for claw grip).

I own the og MX518 and the early G502 (non Hero version) and I stand by what I wrote. They are similar - but don't take my word for it - you can see the size specs from Logitech website on both. They are for the newer versions (G502 Hero and MX518 Legendary) and the differences between the two are in millimeters.

Want to buy the newer MX518 Legendary , is it the same size as the OG MX518??

Thanks.

is it the same size as the OG MX518??

Thanks.

I do not have the new one in my hands to compare to my OG (yet). It does sound like it is same or very close to the original, other than its weight. The thread EJR linked has some good hands-on discussion about it.

Wa.. I had this mouse and it was with me forever. I remember it. I use a 703 now, but that's because I absolutely need something wireless (which can be wired when needed :) )

I picked up a couple of NOS MX518s off Ebay for $30 each last week. I wish I would have bought these first before buying the new version for $60. The new version is far too light.

I kinda wish I bought one of those back in the day. I used the classic microsoft optical blue mouse for a long time then switched to deathadders. The deathadders just sucked on durability. Typically get 1-2 years of use before something breaks.

Best mouse of all time:

Microsoft SideWinder Gaming Mouse (the original one).

Been using mine for over 15 years now. You can't buy them anymore, that's why no one is going to tell you what their favorite mouse is (unless they stock up and buy 3 of them, wish I did that). You can still buy it though.....for $400 on Amazon.

418FIC6smBL.jpg

41qbGtvQ8KL.jpg

Just looked this up. The sidewinder seems to have small but ardent following!

I like my Swiftpoint Z. I’m over 40 and don’t use 80% of its features but it’s still a pretty comfy mouse for off line FPS games (Far Cry 5 etc)

I love my microsoft ime 3.0. Except jump bug and it made me dead several times. It's like owning a lancia stratos, it has problems but when you look at it, PERFECTION

I just ordered an MX518 last week. Should be here by Wednesday. I'm interested to try it out after hearing how good the original models were. I've been using a G502 for a while now and it's been great.

I switched from one to a Razer Copperhead when I broke my right wrist. Had to go left handed with the Copperhead for awhile and never went back. Replaced the switches from donor Copperheads 3 times before I reinforced it with metal to stop the wear.

I picked one up last year, my issue with alot of the gaming mice is they're too small, tried a bunch out at BB and Frys pre-covid.
For standard computer use I use a palm style which is fine with most mice, but for FPS and other action stuff I switch to a claw, and they just arent large enough for my thumb to grip.
Even this MX518 is only medium sized to me (I end up using the bottom edge of the thumb indention not the full thing), I just have long unweildy fingers and palms along with multiple grip styles.
The last mouse that was pretty perfect for me was the old G500 due to the thumb indention running all the way down and extending outwards, on top of be a tall/large'ish mouse.

Overall been very happy with the MX518, it collects grime for me on the fingertips but the material makes it easy to wipe/scrape clean.
Its still really smooth even for the amount of scuffs and dents on the gliders, probably gonna have to to replace the skates soon though.

Back