The Best Games On PC

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm always a bit leery when it comes to posting lists like this because I know you guys are going to want to give your two cents on what did or did not make the list.

Creating and curating a list of the best games on PC is a difficult task, so we’ve implemented some guidelines to shape our choices. The titles you’ll see here were released within the past half dozen years, and they’re exclusive to PC or offer a particularly great experience not found on other platforms.

They missed all the classics. They got Hatoful Boyfriend on the list, so it's not a total loss.

Has Elite Dangerous been patched up to where it's playable yet?

This list is automatically invalidated for the fact that Gone Home is on it.

Has Elite Dangerous been patched up to where it's playable yet?

Not really, it still seems like a sorta of tech demo and half-game... but it's really great at that. I still like to float around in space once in a while.

As for the list... no Mount and Blade: Warband?

They missed all the classics. They got Hatoful Boyfriend on the list, so it's not a total loss.

From page 1 of the story.

Creating and curating a list of the best games on PC is a difficult task, so we’ve implemented some guidelines to shape our choices. The titles you’ll see here were released within the past half dozen years, and they’re exclusive to PC or offer a particularly great experience not found on other platforms

Lol, well that's not subjective at all.

Haven't heard of most of them. 2 games they list are on my top list. (Civ 5 and Stalker) My favorite game isn't even on the list (Red Orchestra 2), and several others I would list there are absent.

Anno 1404 aka Dawn of Discovery? Ehh, it's so-so. Eve? I wonder how far that game has fallen since they've changed a lot of rules and concept surrounding the gameplay. Farming Simulator? Someone must love Skrillex. Homeworld, I agree. Paper Please is okay. Half I recognized the other half I don't know or looks like it sucks badly.

This is more of a list of games we bought off Steam.

Almost all of the games on that list are from the last two years.
I knew better, and shouldn't have even clicked the link.

It's like these people can't remember past last week.

Farming Simulator 15? *sigh* I mean it's not like they're doing the best of 2015 and as a result couldn't find that many good games, hell Starcraft 2 is on there.

Looking through that list at the lesser known ones, FTL is definitely good, Kerbal Space Program looked good from early youtube videos, apparently it's out of "early access" and is actually "done", I wonder if they actually put some sort of rocket building tutorial or any sort of mission system in it, or if it's all sandbox.

My birthday is in a couple days, I feel like treating myself to something enjoyable.

Not on the List:

Half Life 2
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Freespace 2
Civilization 2
Total Annihilation
Mass Effect 2
Portal
Max Payne 2
World of Warcraft

This list is complete garbage.

It's like it was written by some hipster millenial who has only been playing PC games for a year.

Not on the List:

Half Life 2
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Freespace 2
Civilization 2
Total Annihilation
Mass Effect 2
Portal
Max Payne 2
World of Warcraft

This list is complete garbage.

World of Warcraft was their #1 pick.

Also, they said the games had to be from the last "half dozen" (six) years.

Although there is no perfect list, I think that list's strategy of limiting choices to the last 6 years is guaranteed to upset folks ... the bigger lists are harder, but not impossible, especially where the games are grouped by genre ... also, with the 6 year cutoff you just miss titles like Fallout 3 and the lack of any ARPG titles on the list is troubling (Path of Exile was certainly a possibility as was Grim Dawn) ... the list didn't seem to have enough of a split between the different genres

I can only assume this is not an all-time list and instead was meant to be a list of what is best among what is popular now. Because otherwise, hardly any of these games would even make the list.

Also, they said the games had to be from the last "half dozen" (six) years.

OK, that DOES narrow it down a bit. It also isn't difficult to come up with the list, as I can only think of even a handful of games I have liked in the last 6 years. Here they are, ranked in order:

1. Civilization V (2010)
  2. Red Orchestra 2 (2011)
  3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
  4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat (2010)
  5. Metro 2033 (2010)
  6. Portal 2 (2011)

I can't think of any other games in the last six years I even liked enough to play.

I can only assume this is not an all-time list and instead was meant to be a list of what is best among what is popular now. Because otherwise, hardly any of these games would even make the list.

If you read their introduction it states that they are limiting it to reasonably current games (last 6 years)

Zarathustra[H];1041716367 said:
If you read their introduction it states that they are limiting it to reasonably current games (last 6 years)

They didn't mention that in the title or the first two sentences, so of course we have 6 and counting who have no idea what's going on.

They didn't mention that in the title or the first two sentences, so of course we have 6 and counting who have no idea what's going on.

Lol

18887017223_85ed2a62fe_o.jpg

Yep, third sentence. If it isn't the first two, hardly anybody will see it. Look at the purple monkey dishwasher on spaghetti fire daffodils in the rain.

If we're talking last 6 years, WoW is off the list unless their standard allows for expansions.

Pillars of Eternity is the only game I agree with the others will be forgotten in 5 years.

This list is not approved. In fact it seems like a good attempt to attract cotroversy, and rightfully so accounting the games it includes.

"Hey, here's an alphabetical list of, like, 40 games that came out in the last...let's go with 6 years for PC."

"Hey, here's an alphabetical list of, like, 40 games that came out in the last...let's go with 6 years for PC."

Well, that's what happens when you take something inherently subjective and claim to make an authoritative "best list".

Personally, I haven't seen a single game across any platform since 2011 I thought was worth my time. GTA V or Batman don't interest me in the slightest. I'm sure many here would disagree.

To each their own.

I read these lists not because I want to find out what the best games are, but rather because I am curious if I missed a title I would have liked to have noticed, and can then form my own opinion on.

Its not a terrible list actually.

It didn't say it was a list of "BEST PC games of all time"....That would be wrong, but its got some good choices in there. I was suprised to see they picked the Homeworld remastered collection. I would have never thought that made into their list. I truly loved the re-make, they did a great job, but re-makes hardly ever make the cut of one of these idiotic lists, so I'm glad it did.

I like lists like this, mainly because I don't have opportunity to try out every game that is released. Many of the games on this list I was not aware of, and I can read the description to see if it is something I would like to try. Crusader Kings 2 seems interesting to me.

Well it got me to add about 3 games to my Steam wishlist. When they hit the bargain bin I'll be all over them.

Skyrim never grabbed me like Morrowind did. You can't step into the same river twice, and in between the two I got married and had a couple kiddos so sitting down to 6 hours of adventurin' is very tough. Beat Oblivion but didn't care for the game (from what I understand I am not alone here).

Still play the heck out of Civ V. Beat XCOM: Enemy Unknown so maybe give the expansion a try. That's pretty much the 3 games on that whole list I've played.

Comments about the author being a millennial who probably views HL2 as "a really old game" seem spot on. In terms of total time spent playing, my #1 is probably still Adventure Construction Set...released in 1984. So many created adventure settings gone...like...tears...in the rain...

Looking through that list at the lesser known ones, FTL is definitely good, Kerbal Space Program looked good from early youtube videos, apparently it's out of "early access" and is actually "done", I wonder if they actually put some sort of rocket building tutorial or any sort of mission system in it, or if it's all sandbox.

I have been playing this the past week. It is mindblowing how good this is. I started folllowing a beginners video series on youtube. He goes into everything so no worries there. The sandbox mode is still there, there is also a career mode where you do contracts to unlock science and facility upgrades. The game also has a bit of a tutorial but it is still hard to follow, so the youtube is better,

Back