The Best Free PC Games EVER

HardOCP News

[H] News
This list of the best free PC games EVER might need a little rearranging but it is a decent list overall.

17 – APB Reloaded: Few events in gaming’s history have been more spectacularly depressing than APB’s launch, but that was then. Much has changed since the first version appeared in 2010, and the current state is more GTA Online for PC than the original disaster.

APB has fallen apart a lot. Community is waiting on the engine update, but they are making some risky and foolish moves. Support is just trash too. I'm suprised its on the list, and higher than Tera, Rift, and Aion.

Fallen Earth shouldn't be on there either.

But I will agree that PoE is amazing.

the best free games ev----of the last 3 years.

Off-Road: Velociraptor Safari should be on there.

WoW is in the list. I don't see how a game that has a demo mode should be considered free. In fact there are a few on there that are 'restricted mode' for free. WoW you must buy the game and also pay subscription. Stuff like WoT and hawken are good examples as well as the moba's. IMO

I suck at gaming too much for MMOs.
I don't have the time to invest in them to be competitive.
You are in a online world with people that live, eat, and breath gaming.
That is not me. I game occasionally to relax but way too much to do that take the majority of my time.

That's the way I read it. With only a few exceptions... MMO... <sigh> Annoyed me when TF2 went F2P :(

Really? I considered 10 of the games not MMO's but maybe my definition is different. I don't really consider WoT, and war thunder as MMO's really but maybe I am wrong. Sure, MMO's were the largest single type of game but overall the list is pretty varied. I agree with other poster, WoW shouldl't be considered a free game at all, lvl 20 demo is not free.

I would say about half-ish were MMOs, the other half were MOBAs, and then stuff like Hawken and Hearthstone.

I never liked the idea of rotating heroes in LoL. Is that still the case? Do you still have to pay to unlock/earn them?

In dota2 you get all the heroes from the beginning. So I have to play a MOBA where you have all the heroes and I get 10 of them..... right....

I was surprised EQ2 wasn't there. LOTRO was so bad that it isn't even worth playing for free. I remember when EQ2 was down for several months, I tried many other MMO's and felt it was better to wait than play LOTRO. lol

Best free games ever? Why that's simple, all the ID games up to an including Quake.

See Quake released the game as shareware on a CD waayyyyy back in the day. They made the unfortunate decision to put their entire library on the disc in encrypted form. You would call up the ID hotline, pay for a game and they would give you a decryption key.

Well obviously someone came up with a program, called Qcrack.exe, which did all that for you.

You also got a somewhat uninteresting Trent Reznor soundtrack in CD Audio form.

Not a bad list, I'd go with about half of it. I play a few there casually.

Too bad DDO is in such a major need of an engine update, teamwork required is much higher than what neverwinter needs (neverwinter is also a good example of a p2w game after initial intro to game).

Moba games are ok, having a group of friends with you makes it a hell of a lot more fun than solo.

Trackmania has always been one of my favorite free games alongside TF2. MMO's and MOBA's have never been my style.

Yeah, the insane amount of cheating ran me off a loooong time ago. Don't know how it is anymore. :(

APB has fallen apart a lot. Community is waiting on the engine update, but they are making some risky and foolish moves. Support is just trash too. I'm suprised its on the list, and higher than Tera, Rift, and Aion.

Fallen Earth shouldn't be on there either.

But I will agree that PoE is amazing.

I never liked the idea of rotating heroes in LoL. Is that still the case? Do you still have to pay to unlock/earn them?

In dota2 you get all the heroes from the beginning. So I have to play a MOBA where you have all the heroes and I get 10 of them..... right....

They still do free champions yes. You ear the influence points by battle and can unlock champions permanently. I like the rotation because it gives me a chance to test a champion I may want to buy in the future.

Well obviously someone came up with a program, called Qcrack.exe, which did all that for you.

You also got a somewhat uninteresting Trent Reznor soundtrack in CD Audio form.
IIRC the shareware CD still cost some money, and of course you are talking about a crack, so it doesn't really count.

Quake Live is free, but TF2 maybe better I dunno...

What a terrible list.

I mean really. The article is titled "The best free PC games EVER". 20 out of 22 total are micro-transaction infested RPG MMOs.

I don't think LoTRO is that bad. It's not for everyone, but if you like the Tolkien universe then it's for you. Plus if you play enough you can get most of the stuff in it for free with the store cash bonuses you get for completing deeds and such.
(Can take a good amount of time for it but i've seen guides out there on how to do it...lol)
May try planetside, but not a huge fan of PvP, so i don't know.
I liked Path of Exile, but it blue-screened my computer, and i haven't gotten around to trying to figure out why yet. :p

Surprised Mechwarrior online isn't featured. I know the balance issues and development schedule are ongoing issues, but it has a lot to offer, and is actually F2P, as opposed to WoW, SW:KOTOP etc. Also, no warframe...

Yeah, the insane amount of cheating ran me off a loooong time ago. Don't know how it is anymore. :(

Its gotten better, then worse, then better, now its somewhere in the middle. Server performance has gotten better. I really feel like the engine update they are working on now is either going to save it or bury it.

I'd put MechWarrior Online on that list way, way, WAYYYYYY before I'd put APB Reloaded.

APB was atrocious for all of the 10 minutes I spent with it. The UI made me facedesk too much to care for.

This list looks more like a list of pay2win trash with a few free to play games thrown in for good measure.

What!? No mention of Smite!? Third-Person style MOBA, scratches the action AND MOBA itches simultaneously.

GR 'Phantoms' as they now call it has great game play but a horrid economy. There's no way to compete without spending hard cash or grinding out RP for years. I won't play it anymore. :(

I don't really consider WoT, and war thunder as MMO's really but maybe I am wrong

I play WoT pretty seriously, I agree, it's not truely an MMO cause the actual game play is 15 vs 15 instanced, how can that possibly be MMO, sorry, face palm for the lose there WoT. But hey, they do keep winning the Golden Joystick for it in that category.

Still the game is good and if you are competitive then there is more then enough of that for you. Unfortunately you also have to put up with the Russian Developers and their penchant for national pride, on the flip side anyone can play Russian tanks so who's hurt right?

This list looks more like a list of pay2win trash with a few free to play games thrown in for good measure.

See, in the day developers produced games and players paid to buy them and play them.

Then there was the revolution, subscription based games but those are starting to fade away just like the first games have.

Now we have Free2Play where miraculously you can still pay to get content or boosts to character development so that players are "encouraged or rewarded" to spend some money.

Someday we will live in a Perfect World, (no pun intended), and developers will be happy to spend all day producing awesome software and we won't have to pay a dime, they'll just do it for the fun of it and the good feeling they get in their tummies.

I got all the way to #2 and thought "wtf? No PoE on here??". Glad to see it at #1, but considering I have played exactly 0 other games on that list, I don't have a good measure for how good any of the other games are. I do have to say though (and I can't believe I'm saying this), but diablo 3 has taken back the arpg crown with RoS. I played probably 1000 hours of PoE, but only because there was nothing else to fill the void left by D3. With RoS, I can't overlook all the problems with PoE anymore. I won't be back.

Star Trek Online made it onto a list of Best Ever anything? What is this nonsense?

You can get champs 2 ways.

1) Riot Points purchased with money

2) Influence Points earned playing games

I have purchased a few skins and what not, but never a champ. Easy enough to earn IP.

Back