The Best Free PC Games EVER

This is the shittyest list ever....

The fact that Trackmania isn't on this makes this list fail...

All of these are currently better, and significantly cheaper in terms of micro-transaction costs, than Forsaken World.

Rift is actually pretty fun, though it can get a bit grindy. It will never be as grindy as Forsaken World will be though. I don't think any MMO could ever be the grindfest that Forsaken World has become.

Hawken is pretty fun, though you really do take your chances when playing public games. Some people get it and pick up on it right away, while others don't seem to have a clue even when you're yelling them into the chatbox.

Neverwinter is a PWE title, which means grindfest unless you plan on ponying up the cash. (just like Forsaken World) And like everything else I've noticed about PWE titles, the best EVERYTHING comes from doing PvP. For games like Blacklight that's a duh. But for an MMO, it shouldn't be a requirement to do PvP in order to get the best anything.

Path of Exile actually looks promising. Might give it a spin this weekend.

At least Vindictus or Scarlet Blade aren't on there....both are just...meh.

Star Trek Online made it onto a list of Best Ever anything? What is this nonsense?

You can play all the content without paying a penny. And yes you can get any and all of the ships/equipment for free if you dont mind grinding day after day for it. Buy paying makes it easier.

However this game is Star Trek in name only... you see more original ships and designs and gameplay is more about pew pew pew than exploration. The back story is set in the future of the Nemesis movie universe with the destruction of Romulus as depicted in the reboot.

However this game is Star Trek in name only... you see more original ships and designs and gameplay is more about pew pew pew than exploration.

Space Exploration is tough to pull off in any game. No one's done it justice since Starflight and that was almost thirty years ago.

No Combat Arms?

If you can make it past the rampant cheatery, it's the best mindless FPS I think I've ever played.

Ever? Not likely. Maybe most recent.

Most of those games are not "free". Game impacting micro transactions count. WOW shouldn't even be on there. Games like DOTA2 that have micro transactions that do not affect game play (only visuals) are OK.

If we are talking about a list of best free games EVER, then:

#1 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein:_Enemy_Territory

Easily wins hands down. It was absolutely crazy that game was free,

Reasons:
1) Totally Free. As in nothing.
2) Was active for a very long time (probably still some diehards playing it)
3) Huge community. Mods. Servers. Etc...
4) First FPS to implement "classes"
5) First FPS to implement XP and leveling
6) First FPS to implement objective goals
7) First FPS with 64 player multiplayer
8) First FPS to implement anti-cheating software (punkbuster)
9) First FPS to introduce funny German accents (MEDIC!)
10) It was just fun to play for hours and hours and hours...

Best free games ever? Why that's simple, all the ID games up to an including Quake.

See Quake released the game as shareware on a CD waayyyyy back in the day. They made the unfortunate decision to put their entire library on the disc in encrypted form. You would call up the ID hotline, pay for a game and they would give you a decryption key.

Well obviously someone came up with a program, called Qcrack.exe, which did all that for you.

You also got a somewhat uninteresting Trent Reznor soundtrack in CD Audio form.

I have the original Quake demo (from back when they handed them out in CD form). Had 1-1 through 1-4. BUT if you put it in a regular CD player, you can play the music set for those first 4 levels.

Most of those games are not "free". Game impacting micro transactions count. WOW shouldn't even be on there. Games like DOTA2 that have micro transactions that do not affect game play (only visuals) are OK.

Reasons:

Was it always free? I think I had Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. I know I bought the box back in the day.

Reasons:

How is a game released in 2003 long after TFC the first FPS to implement classes?

Kind of sad that I haven't played any of them. : \

I'm surprised NFS World didn't make the list.

Back