The Banner Saga : Chapter 1 (ex BioWare devs)

theNoid

Supreme [H]ardness
safe_image.php

bannersaga14.jpg

bannersaga_1.jpg

bannersaga_2.jpg

Official Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YupzBYxsgow

Website
http://stoicstudio.com/

What is Banner Saga?

The Banner Saga is an epic role-playing game inspired by Viking legend. Hand-painted landscapes portray a world eerily suspended in perpetual twilight. Cities and towns begin to crumble into chaos. Heroes abandon their hearths and homes to traverse the snowy countryside, gaining allies along the way to help battle a strange, new threat.

Decisions have consequences; wise choices must be made when conversing with possible allies during intricately crafted dialogues. Turn-based strategy brings tactical challenge in hand-animated battle sequences. With visuals evocative of the golden age of animation, The Banner Saga brings skillfully crafted art, story and strategy to gamers waiting to re-experience classic adventures and tactics.

I think this looks awesome. Apparently there is a free MP arena out on Steam now, but this SP campaign is in the works. Anyone else interested?

I am not a Kickstarter fan at all, but this project is shaping up nicely and I will definitely buy it when they do release the SP campaign. I tried the tutorial/demo a while back and it was nicely done.

I am not a Kickstarter fan at all, but this project is shaping up nicely and I will definitely buy it when they do release the SP campaign. I tried the tutorial/demo a while back and it was nicely done.

I'm in the same boat, will buy when it goes retail.

I played Factions for a while. Good combat, good animations and art, very limited class system and missing a real "hook". I'm much more interested in the SP game, which is the real meat of it. If you are looking for a quick fix in TB strategy, Disciples II might fit a bit better - for now. But you can't really beat free. It's definitely worth a shot

Played it about 6 months ago, at the time the game had major connectivity issues, I uninstalled it. I might purchase it once it officially comes out.

Looks great. Thanks for the heads up. Downloading it on Steam now.

Time for a little thread necro...

Anybody else picking this up @ launch? Unfortunately I missed out on the Kickstarter, but grabbed the deluxe edition from Gamefly for $19 which includes the 29-track soundtrack

Last edited:
Looks interesting and definitely not enough good norsk games out there. Very tempted to just grab it on steam for the preorder pricing.

I bit the bullet and preordered it ... but I probably won't have time to play until later in the week though ... will be interesting to see how it plays though :)

I played it in beta. Its not bad, if thats your thing, back then it was only MP for the testing.

Its very much a game that leans towards upgraded class structures though. Once ya get your 2nd tier characters it started to get pretty interesting.

Would I play it again, sure, but it wore on me fast, it was chess to me with a twist.

It seems the SP campaign is much more involved and is getting praise for the story.

So for $25 is this only one chapter? Will the other chapters cost more? The website doesn't have a FAQ that I see and hasn't been updated for release (still said pre-order).

I backed it via KickStarter. Haven't had a chance to install yet. Might try tonight

I impulse bought this on Steam because I love Vikings and turn-based strategy RPGs. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I will update once I do. Most of the reviews coming out are around 8/10 which is pretty good.

Happy to have picked this up. I'm intrigued; I haven't had a lot of time to play it, but it's interesting.

I just bought this myself in preparation for weekend gaming. I'll happily go on record stating that while I think that most Kickstarter projects suck this one appears to have delivered a good product for which I paid the asking price instead of waiting for a $5 Steam sale.

In response to a previous poster's comment of this game being "chess with a twist", if that's true in that you'll need to plan several moves ahead then I'll definitely love it.

I just bought this myself in preparation for weekend gaming. I'll happily go on record stating that while I think that most Kickstarter projects suck this one appears to have delivered a good product for which I paid the asking price instead of waiting for a $5 Steam sale.

In response to a previous poster's comment of this game being "chess with a twist", if that's true in that you'll need to plan several moves ahead then I'll definitely love it.

The thing that really got me with this one is the art. My god this is a pretty game. I might pick up a copy for my girlfriend because she's a huge fan of this kind of illustration, and Norse-ish settings.

I love the art style, and will pick up just for that factor. Some of the best games I had the most fun with last generation had this sort of art style.

It seems the SP campaign is much more involved and is getting praise for the story.

Really enjoying it! The combat mechanics take a while to figure out but the initial battles are 'smaller'. I think the thing that perturbs most players is some consequences to your decisions are not obvious, and it's rouge-like in that you can't easily save at the decision tree and run the other choices.

but it's soooooo purty!

I lost a couple hours of progress with the damn 'no saving' mechanic. I can understand no saving, but to lose a couple hours is just fucked. So, I replayed that portion, got to a 'choose your own adventure part' and the game decided it would kill my most powerful guy. So, I'm going to have to replay those couple hours for the third time. Awesome.

Good game, but completely fucked.

I lost a couple hours of progress with the damn 'no saving' mechanic. I can understand no saving, but to lose a couple hours is just fucked. So, I replayed that portion, got to a 'choose your own adventure part' and the game decided it would kill my most powerful guy. So, I'm going to have to replay those couple hours for the third time. Awesome.

So is the problem with the save mechanics or just that you don't like that there are potentially permanent consequences?

Sounds like ye old Rogue likes back when PC gaming was hard and quality, AKA before DX 9.0c which created the graphics > gameplay era.

I wouldn't call the game crashing and losing significant progress gameplay. I'd call that 'why the fuck is this game crashing.' Sorry, didn't make it clear that it was a crash.

And losing a character based on a choose your own adventure part is a bit bullshit in my opinion. If I lost that character in a fight due to my own poor decisions I'd be fine with that. Choosing an option and having that character go poof? Not good 'gameplay' in my honest opinion.

I wouldn't call the game crashing and losing significant progress gameplay. I'd call that 'why the fuck is this game crashing.' Sorry, didn't make it clear that it was a crash.

And losing a character based on a choose your own adventure part is a bit bullshit in my opinion. If I lost that character in a fight due to my own poor decisions I'd be fine with that. Choosing an option and having that character go poof? Not good 'gameplay' in my honest opinion.

I had lots of lock ups since I had to retry the second battle a number of times before I got my arms around the strategy of combat ... no crashes yet and I am not far enough in to have encountered exotic adventure choices

I do like the art though and the combat is a treat ... definitely kind of a chess match as others have noted ... looking forward to spending more time with this game over the holiday weekend :)

Hopefully they patch it. I don't want to lose several hours of progress. But, I'm fine with the CYOA stuff.

I believe I'm in the third part, and I haven't had any crashes yet. Any issues are from me playing with the save file.

I'm liking this game so far. It's like a visual novel, minus the tentacles and school girls.

Back