The Awesome Fantastic 5600g Thread

Nightfire

2[H]4U
Burnt out on politics and the world in general so I just wanted to geek out on hardware.

Enter the AMD 5600g 6 core Zen 3 based APU. This processor has wide appeal from budget gamers to compact HTPC buyers looking for low power consumption and all the way to enthusiasts as these APUs are a blast to overclock and tinker with.

Tom's has a great article on the 5600g:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-5600g-review

Just looking for thoughts and real world experience with the 5600g.

It would be a great processor if it weren't $259. AMD is the performance king right now and their parts are priced accordingly, which works great at the high end - if you're chasing performance on a $2K+ build throwing down an extra $100 to get 10% higher CPU performance is fine. If you're building a $500 integrated graphics rig, putting down an extra $100+ over the previous generation of APUs really cuts in to your budget. On the other hand, it has to be $259 to avoid cannibalizing 5600X sales, so I guess it's nice that AMD at least gives you an option this generation to buy from a real vendor.

The problem with iGPUs in general is they are completely bandwidth starved - Tom's 1080p benchmarks show that framerate scales almost perfectly with memory bandwidth (doubling the channels doubles the framerate). Until we get some sort of large L4, either in the form of eDRAM, HBC, or stacked cache we'll never have competent 1080p gaming on an APU.

There are still some niches for SFF systems that can't physically support a GPU, but once the chip shortage fades I expect street prices to drop a fair amount. Otherwise it will be a tough sale versus a $120 4C/8T CPU and a $150 x050-class discrete GPU.

For pure framerate/$, there is definitely better options. If that is your sole concern, this is surely not your product.
There are still others reasons to get the APU:
- ultra compact and neat builds
- less parts usually means less driver issues
- Very low power / heat / noise
- Fun factor. Finding the perfect balance of Soc core, dram speed, and other parameters can be very addicting.

Its annoying they didn't put a Vega 8 on these

It looks like it would only make about 5% difference and some of that may be from the higher boost clocks of the 5700g. My 2400g was a Vega 11 and these beat it by a good margin.

I want to know how good this thing is at playing Dolby Atmos 4k x.265, might be worth making a micro-atx media machine with it.

How do the mb offerings look so far?
Edit- oems only?
5600g and 5800g are available in retail boxes now. You'll need a recent AGESA, my A520 board release notes say AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.3 B adds 5000G support; probably any 500 chipset and most 400 chipset boards should get an update, so if you like a board already and it's got a video output, there you go.

Its annoying they didn't put a Vega 8 on these
The 5700G has Vega 8 while the 5600G has Vega 7 but from the reviews, there hardly any difference. I picked up a 5600G and overclocked the iGPU to 2400MHZ which is slightly faster than the Vega 8 but we're only talking a difference of like 5fps to begin with.

The 5700G has Vega 8 while the 5600G has Vega 7 but from the reviews, there hardly any difference. I picked up a 5600G and overclocked the iGPU to 2400MHZ which is slightly faster than the Vega 8 but we're only talking a difference of like 5fps to begin with.

Any chance messing with the IMC yet?

This looks to be a rather good setup for emulation.

Given the current state of GPU prices, the best most thrifty gamers could likely do is pick up this for their main pc and use it for emulation/esports/ older titles then pick up a Series X or PS5 for eye candy granted you do not have a powerful GPU right now.

Have you seen the reviews of the "midrange" 6600xt? Garbage!

I need to build my parents a new desktop and I really wish they'd bring the r3 to the DIY market.

$515 cad for the 5700g is a good deal built bro a new system gave em 32gb of ddr 4400mhz and a nice fast gen 4 nvme 1tb ssd in a slick itx case. it seems to be working well for him as he doesnt play AAA on ultra.

The 5700G is alright. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably lean towards the 5600G instead if I didn't use Handbrake that often.

i bought another for my unraid server figured i might as well go all in on Zen 3 Ecosystem.

Just a tip, if any of you are buying the 5600G or 5700G make sure to upgrade your motherboards to the latest bios. I still had issues with my CPU as the CPU Q LED on my Asus B550 motherboard was lit up so I didn't get any video output. I cleared the BIOS just in case since I bought a used motherboard from Amazon and then the DRAM Q LED lit up. I then found out that one of the DDR4 sticks was not seated all the way. So just make sure you upgrade your bios and make sure to seat the ram down all the way. It was a rookie mistake... lol

I have been considering one of these for a lower/ish power integrated build. Where does the 5800G stack up on the GPU side? Any guesses if it will outrun the upcoming 12 Gen Intel?

I have been considering one of these for a lower/ish power integrated build. Where does the 5800G stack up on the GPU side? Any guesses if it will outrun the upcoming 12 Gen Intel?
Well it took Intel like 6 generations to upgrade their igpu with 11th gen evo, so not sure if they will change alot with just 1 generation.

That said, ddr5 should help both ADL and future AMD cpus, though you will have to wait a bit longer for those as it looks like they scrapped Zen 3+.

Back