The ATI 4800's (RV770) Reviews Thread

ZerazaX

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, officially the NDA is off on the RV770's and so full reviews of the HD4850 and HD4870 are in.

HardOCP's Is HERE Finally! Yeah! Sorry for the lateness. - Kyle

Some brief specs:

800 SP's
40 TMU's
956M transistors on 55nm process (~260mm^2)

4850: 625MHz core / 993 MHz GDDR3 (1986 effective) Mem
4870: 750 MHz core / 900 MHz GDDR5 (3600 effective) Mem

There's more about the architecture in the various reviews.

Anandtech Review
Hardware Canucks Review
Hexus Review
HotHardware Review
Expreview Review
Elitebastards Architecture Preview
Bjorn3d 4850 Review
PcPerspectives Review
ArsTechnica Review
MadBoxPC Review (Spanish) - Google Translate
Rage3D Cinema 2.0 Overview
Rage3D Architecture Overview
Rage3D Single 4850 DX10 Review
ChileHardware Review (Spanish) - Google Translate
Tweaktown 4870 CF Review
TechReport 4870 Review
LegitReviews Review
FiringSquad Review

More will be added as the rest of the day comes! Lots of reading for everybody!

edit: lots of sites are getting absolutely hammered as of the time of this posting so be patient..

Only looked through the Hardware Canucks one and must say ...mouth open drooling. AMD delivered with the 4870. Its hanging in with a card $300 more.

Only looked through the Hardware Canucks one and must say ...mouth open drooling. AMD delivered with the 4870. Its hanging in with a card $300 more.

Yup, it sure is... with high settings and AA/etc. it is within 10% pretty much always, yet is less than half the price :eek: .

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...eon-hd4870-512mb-graphics-card-review-22.html

This link shows them mounting an HR-03 GT on it... I can only imagine the overclocks we'll see on these with that cooling... thinking of grabbing one!

Very interesting to see how 512MB doesnt seem to hold the card back at 2560x1600 with AF maxed at all

Yup, it sure is... with high settings and AA/etc. it is within 10% pretty much always, yet is less than half the price :eek: .

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...eon-hd4870-512mb-graphics-card-review-22.html

This link shows them mounting an HR-03 GT on it... I can only imagine the overclocks we'll see on these with that cooling... thinking of grabbing one!
Ya I love that Hardware Canucks included that little extra it was icing on the cake for me. Grabbing one asap as I feel this is gonna be selling like hotcakes in the first few weeks and gonna be hard to keep up with demand.

Hothardware the only site that compares 4870 against GTX260?
I want to see those numbers.
(anandtech is hella slow)

Reading Anandtech's AA and Image Quality pages.. hope [H] does one too. Looks like AA isn't just fixed... but there's barely a hit from 0 -> 4xAA -> 8xAA while every other card sufers drops

Hothardware the only site that compares 4870 against GTX260?
I want to see those numbers.
(anandtech is hella slow)

Pc Perspective for some reason only compared the 4870 against ATI tech, and then included another graph for 4850 vs GTX 260 benches, but if you look at the numbers, the 4870 outperforms the GTX 260 in every game.

Yeah, I made a post earlier with all the AA performance figures I tested on my 4850 and the it smokes with AA.

Ya I love that Hardware Canucks included that little extra it was icing on the cake for me. Grabbing one asap as I feel this is gonna be selling like hotcakes in the first few weeks and gonna be hard to keep up with demand.

What did I tell you yesterday? GTX280 waste of money. Guess you will listen now. :D

Well the 4870 really IS NOT neck-and-neck with the 280...
Sometimes the difference is quite substantial...

Well the 4870 really IS NOT neck-and-neck with the 280...
Sometimes the difference is quite substantial...

I consider minimum framerates, so long as the average is acceptable, to be more important than the average. Sometimes the 4870 delivers a HIGHER minimum framerate than the 280, and it is within ~10% on the average in almos tall cases there. So, yes, it is neck-in-neck any way you might try to spin it. I think this is a very, very important point that people should pay attention to when perusing the various reviews.

if i spent 650 on a gtx280... i would have serious buyers remorse

I spent $500 and had serious buyer's remorse from seeing this... luckily I sold it off for $600 after fees/shipping on the 'Bay earlier today, and so I made $100 and have a 4870 en route for $300 shipped already :D.

What did I tell you yesterday? GTX280 waste of money. Guess you will listen now. :D

First of all I never refuted nor agreed with it being a waste of money. The difference between you and me is I don't feel the need to criticize someone for buying whatever they want with their money. Every new cycle something comes out at a premium and there are always those with 'issues' that feel they need to chime in with and post negativity. Going back to our wonderful analogy of 'LOL this guy bought a Benz" instead of a Lexus :)D)

if i spent 650 on a gtx280... i would have serious buyers remorse

yeah right huh. I'd love to be a fly on the wall where ever the Nvidia board of directors are meeting tomorrow. I can't believe they saw this coming. No way their cards would have debuted at $400 and $650, then turn around and slash prices weeks later.

Bravo AMD!

First of all I never refuted nor agreed with it being a waste of money. The difference between you and me is I don't feel the need to criticize someone for buying whatever they want with their money. Every new cycle something comes out at a premium and there are always those with 'issues' that feel they need to chime in with and post negativity.

/100% agree

First of all I never refuted nor agreed with it being a waste of money. The difference between you and me is I don't feel the need to criticize someone for buying whatever they want with their money. Every new cycle something comes out at a premium and there are always those with 'issues' that feel they need to chime in with and post negativity.

LOL read above. Homeboy got buyers remorse and sold it. :rolleyes:

Lets try and keep fanboyism and stuff out of this thread please and keep it to reviews and the like!

Finished scanning all the benchmarks (for now).
Strange how Hexus's benchs seemed to favor nVidia slightly. They score 9800GTX>4850 all aboard and 4870 only slightly ahead of GTX+.

But other benchmarks show the 4850 > 9800GTX and 4870 > GTX 260 and CF4870 >>> GTX 280.
Is there even any reason to buy a GTX260 for $400? gg nVidia.

pcper review is almost there to complete fanboy retardation. They don't compare the 4870 at all vs the nv gpus yet they compare ati 4870 vs 38xx but then they for some reason compare 4850 and 4850 cf vs 9800gtx and 260. Yeah, guess what we all already know those numbers, maybe show us something new?

This seems a lot like what we saw last year... ATI's card come out at $400 (but in this case - NV's 260) getting best by NV's cheaper, and cooler GTS (but now it's the 4870)

In either case, there seems no reason at all to buy a 260. That is really amazing.

DAAMIT is a sneaky bastard, they spread the rumour through everyone that oh we are not going for speed, bla bla, they really downplayed the rv770 architecture, and nvidia is caught in no mans land, they might as well sell the gtx series for a loss.

DAAMIT is a sneaky bastard, they spread the rumour through everyone that oh we are not going for speed, bla bla, they really downplayed the rv770 architecture, and nvidia is caught in no mans land, they might as well sell the gtx series for a loss.

thats funny cuz thats what i kept thinking in the back of my head the whole time. Im now going to purchase the 4870!

thats funny cuz thats what i kept thinking in the back of my head the whole time. Im now going to purchase the 4870!

Yea I got my hd 4850 for a great price, but I would happily return that one if my Local Frys where I unfortunatly work, lol has the card with in the next month, we were suppose to get 8 last week but DAAMIT probably told AIB partners to hold off shipments for another week, so we might get them this week.

huh good luck. I am looking forward to getting the 4870, if only it was called... HD9700 or HD9800 :) get it :)

If Adam Smith's economic theories really do exist, then the "invisible hands" will make the GTX280 fall to around $450 so that nVidia can actually compete with ATi on a price/power basis. Then again, people who want a GTX280 may more closely follow the psychological rules of prestige than the economic theories of balance as the premium they pay is worthwhile for them and therefore an outlier.

Even though the GTX 280 still has the title of fastest single gpu card, I welcome the 4870 into the market. It's been a long time since we've had great competition between green and red.. and i am DAMN happy to see 95% of the GTX 280's performance from the 4870.

95% performance at 50% of the cost? HELL YES.

The GTX 280 released at 649.99 and now it's around 599.
The HD 4870 is releasing right now for 299~310, and probably a little higher due to initial demand.. but still. Goddamn that's a great card.

All the same, I'm not an ATi or nV fanboy.. but I do love the fact that ATi's back in the game with their latest offerings.. as that will just drive more competition and more innovation at a faster rate at better prices. We win as consumers!

With the fact that I have no pressing games I need to play over the summer on my PC that my 7800gt can't handle.. I think I will wait for nV's GT200 series refresh, and the coming of the 4870x2 before I buy a new vid card.

Though, for some reason.. I can't help but feel nostalgic about owning an ATi card seeing as how awesome the 9800pro was in its day.

Back