The ATI 4800's (RV770) Reviews Thread

95% performance at 50% of the cost? HELL YES.

The GTX 280 released at 649.99 and now it's around 599.
The HD 4870 is releasing right now for 299~310, and probably a little higher due to initial demand.. but still. Goddamn that's a great card.

All the same, I'm not an ATi or nV fanboy.. but I do love the fact that ATi's back in the game with their latest offerings.. as that will just drive more competition and more innovation at a faster rate at better prices. We win as consumers!

Though, for some reason.. I can't help but feel nostalgic about owning an ATi card seeing as how awesome the 9800pro was in its day.

QFT. I had an 9800pro too and it was a great card. I'm very happy to see this "major jedi counterattack" of ATI

jedi counterattack lol in your .ss nvidia :) for trying to sell us your lame cards for 600

I've looked at a few reviews and the one thing I haven't been able to find (or didnt' see) was the length of this card. With the connectors oriented off the back, this may pose an issue to me with a midsize case. Is this card longer than an 8800gt? It looks like it is the same length as the 9800gtx, but I just need confirmation.

Thanks

I haven't owned an ati card in over 3 years. I used to love my 9600xt that I bought back when HL-2 wasn't even out yet. Now I'm at the point where I have had my single 8800gtx for what seems like forever (since launch) and I spent 600 dollars on it then and it was a huge upgrade over my 7900GTX. It's kinda hard after something like that looking at the Nvidia cards and even want to consider them, honestly 600 bones and thats all I get? Yeah it would be a large upgrade over my 8800GTX but nothing like we were used to with the 7-8 series leap. So now that I see that this new gen is an upgrade but nothing like a 8800GTX (meaning now it's bang for buck), I can't help but say that I am back in the red again. I looked at all the benchmarks of the games I play and the games I don't compared them to what my 8800gtx scored, and how much of a difference was there really between the 650 dollar GTX280 or the 450 dollar GTX260?

I'm glad I was patient and didn't impulse upgrade like I have in the past, I'm going to get a really nice upgrade and not even pay half of what I was anticipating 2 weeks ago!!

Back