The ASUS ROG GX700 Has An Insane Liquid Cooling Dock

HardOCP News

[H] News
Windows Central got up close and personal with the upcoming ASUS ROG GX700 gaming laptop and its closed-loop liquid cooled docking station.

Seeing as the dock is pumping liquid coolant through the laptop, you want a tight and secure fit to avoid any leakage, and in our time with the GX700 we saw just that. Pushing down on the latch slightly firmly the laptop in and connects the conduits, expanding the cooling loop to the large radiator and fans in the rear dock. If you're overclocking the processor, this seems to be a must, lest you start melting your keyboard in the process. Undocking is a two-step process: push down forcefully on the button close to the back of the laptop and then lift up on the latch. Seems kind of necessary to us that it be difficult — we wouldn't want to pick it up and have coolant pour out all over our desk.

How would you even transport it, I would not want to put that in my laptop bag, hell I don't even think it would fit!!!

Who is the target audience for this? Perhaps this is a product that is waiting for a market segment.

Thats downright retarded. Buy a desktop at that point...seriously.

Desktop + Alienware 13 please. Yes, they fit in the same budget.

Pretty sweet! I would never OC a laptop. I can live with less than desktop performance for a week while away from home. However, bad ass

I have to give kudos to Asus for having the ginormous balls to pull this one off and put it out there, even if it is laughably impractical.

Doesn't really matter if it's a good idea or a bad idea. The GX700 laptop itself is going to be vaporware just like the GX500 that they announced over a year ago and never actually produced. I'll be shocked if either ever eventually make it to retailers.

So they've made an AIO desktop computer in laptop form factor. Pointless. If you're in a situation that demands this kind of cooling then you arent in a situation that calls for portability, so you might as well have your desktop. Conversely if you do require portability to edit word docs or whatever, you have a terribly cumbersome laptop to lug around to do it.

MSI has it right with their GS30 line of ultrabooks. The docking station houses the beefy hardware like external GPU, the laptop does all the simple stuff like word processing. So you can dock it when you want to game and undock it when you want to go to class. Best of both worlds. And in the event that you want portable gaming, well the dock really isnt that bad to lug around. Would certainly fit in a suitcase just fine for travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5MbQ1N8yk

My guess the cooling solution isn't made to be taken with you. Id guess the concept is to water cool at home while your gaming and be able to take a still powerful laptop with you on the go.

I can understand a dock that has it's own liquid cooling system, and then connects to a heatsink on the bottom of the laptop (copper to copper?) but.... actually transfering liquid from the dock to the laptop? so many things can / will go wrong o_o

It's kind of like my 460 magnum. Totally bad-ass and totally pointless for real usage.

Asus support may be lacking, but their design department gets amazing latitude to do crazy stuff.

Asus Transformer: Laptop, tablet, have your cake and eat it too.
Asus Taichi: dual 1080p display laptop/tablet
Asus Zenfone 2 Max and Deluxe: 5000mAh battery and 256GB storage, both with 4GB RAM.
Asus GX700: PCIe ribbons? Pfft, who needs external GPUs when you can just have an external liquid cooling system.

Yes, let's use a "portable" form factor and then build it out with advanced features that aren't actually portable. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

I can understand a dock that has it's own liquid cooling system, and then connects to a heatsink on the bottom of the laptop (copper to copper?) but.... actually transfering liquid from the dock to the laptop? so many things can / will go wrong o_o

No worries, Asus barely responds to RMA issues so they won't even know when there are problems.

I have bought gaming laptops for the last decade simply because I am in the Army and deploy overseas alot. The gaming laptops are not generally something I carry daily but they are easily manageable to get from one location to another via a plane flight. When I am overseas they generally sit in one location somewhere and are portable enough to carry with me between locations. They are generally my sole entertainment overseas (movies, games) as well as my connection back home (skype, facebook).

I have always had peripheals like keyboards, gaming headsets that I generally ship in my checked baggage and then set up on the distant end (while hand carrying the actual laptop). I could see myself shipping a cooling unit along with my external keyboard and headset.

One of my first laptops that I had more than a decade ago would constantly overheat and I had to utilize one of those cooling pads in order to game, not a big difference other than this is cooler. The only thing I really want with gaming laptops now is 120hz displays, I would buy that in a heart beat.

Dear Asus:

Attached you will find a picture of how it is done.

512x512.png

Please step up.

How poorly does it cool itself without the waterloop is what im wondering.

I could see this being useful to a certain type of person. Presumably, the system itself is a powerhouse by laptop standards, and even if it does weigh 15 pounds, this is orders of magnitude more portable than any desktop with separate display/keboard/tower components.

Speaking for myself, I work in aerial surveying. We can easily collect over a terabyte of data per day when we're in the field, and we need a beast of a computer to process it before we go home. Our current rig weighs 90 pounds in its ruggedized enclosure, plus another 180 pounds for the data storage arrays. Something like this quasi-laptop might be an attractive alternative for us, if it could be had with the right ports to plug our RAID arrays into.

Asus GX700: PCIe ribbons? Pfft, who needs external GPUs when you can just have an external liquid cooling system.
Because you are cooling a mobile GPU which is still outclassed by weaker desktop GPU's. What's the point in using a GTX 980M and going through all this hassle to do it when you could just house an external GTX 970 full card? That would require no liquid cooling either.

The worlds best laptop still cannot match a good desktop. It will cost twice as much and net you 70% of the performance, and almost exclusively be used like a desktop anyway.

I could see this being useful to a certain type of person. Presumably, the system itself is a powerhouse by laptop standards, and even if it does weigh 15 pounds, this is orders of magnitude more portable than any desktop with separate display/keboard/tower components.
is it really more portable though? How much more work would it be to stuff a microATX gaming rig + monitor in a suitcase than this contraption? The end result is a PC that performs better, less risky, and you get use of your monitor instead of tiny laptop screen.

MSI is coming out with an AIO pc that has a mount on the back to house a full desktop GPU. So you literally just lug around your 24" monitor rig, which probably weighs as much and is just as inconvenient as this contraption, but hey you get 24" screen and real Core i7/GTX 980 usability.

So they've made an AIO desktop computer in laptop form factor. Pointless. If you're in a situation that demands this kind of cooling then you arent in a situation that calls for portability, so you might as well have your desktop. Conversely if you do require portability to edit word docs or whatever, you have a terribly cumbersome laptop to lug around to do it.

MSI has it right with their GS30 line of ultrabooks. The docking station houses the beefy hardware like external GPU, the laptop does all the simple stuff like word processing. So you can dock it when you want to game and undock it when you want to go to class. Best of both worlds. And in the event that you want portable gaming, well the dock really isnt that bad to lug around. Would certainly fit in a suitcase just fine for travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5MbQ1N8yk

That's badass, first time I have seen that.

Definitely ASUS needs to take note of MSI. This is the way to do it, especially since you can install almost any stand alone graphics card you wish to use.

it looks about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Oh joy its got the "gamer" look. Just what people that actually have money are looking for >.>

Back