The Ascent (Cyberpunk ARPG)

I can't say for sure, but it should. GSync is between the video card and the monitor, game shouldn't matter as long as you can turn VSync off...

Only had a chance to play 20 minutes or so. Sadly the widescreen FOV console edit think does not stick between sessions so just dropped it down to one monitor's resolution. Looks good and thus far has performed well but not a lot going on this early. A few studders when shifting between play and a "cut". Keyboard controls work well for me since I've played other games like this on keyboard and mouse. Looking forward to getting farther in.

Which version are you on?

On the Steam version, I’m playing ultrawide with no issues.

Edit: Just re-read, and you mentioned FOV tweak, so maybe that’s it.

I can't say for sure, but it should. GSync is between the video card and the monitor, game shouldn't matter as long as you can turn VSync off...
G-SYNC works optimally with V-Sync turned on, but you should enable it globally in the NVIDIA control panel.

Globally-enabled VSync in CP, turned off in-game is what I had been told with GSync.

As for the stuttering, apparently it may be related to Control Flow Guard in Windows Exploit Protection, but I haven't had a chance to test yet.

Which version are you on?

On the Steam version, I’m playing ultrawide with no issues.

Edit: Just re-read, and you mentioned FOV tweak, so maybe that’s it.
Yeah steam version.

It picked up my 5760 x 1200 resolution just fine and loads in to that but then the FOV is so small its super zoomed in as is common when ultra wide is not properly set up. I used the DLL injection method to fire up console which worked perfectly to put the FOV to something more normal. However as the game changes between the maps, journal and so on it changes the FOV for each so it will go from just right to super zoomed out and I keep having to change it. Then upon loading the game its all reset so meh I'll just add it to the list of single screen games so I can just enjoy it.

Buddy sent me a video of this game last night. We're both planning on picking it up tonight after we get off work and giving it a shot. We usually play 4X type games together.

Looks like fun. How's the KB/M controls?

Globally-enabled VSync in CP, turned off in-game is what I had been told with GSync.

That's what I've been doing. Enable it universally in the Nvidia panel and turn it off in individual games. It's kinda weird how nebulous information is about Gsync. Lots of weird conflicting posts all over the place. You'd think Nvidia would be clearer about it on their end, too. They have tons of info about what it can do, but almost nothing about how to actually use it.

That's what I've been doing. Enable it universally in the Nvidia panel and turn it off in individual games. It's kinda weird how nebulous information is about Gsync. Lots of weird conflicting posts all over the place. You'd think Nvidia would be clearer about it on their end, too. They have tons of info about what it can do, but almost nothing about how to actually use it.
From what I understand, it's sort of dependent on framerate. If you go out of the GSync range you'll get tearing if you don't have VSync on.

I usually just limit my upper framerate to a couple FPS below the monitor limit.

Yeah, I meant to come back and say that's still the best option as far as I can tell...

Looks like fun. How's the KB/M controls?
retarded.
just bought it earlier today and already refunded after 16 minutes of play, but honestly I didn't even need the full 16 minutes. I knew after the very first scene I was pretty much done with it. Died 2 times in the first combat area to little grunt type enemies because you can't figure out which directional key you gotta hit depending on which way the camera is facing. Then if you get surrounded you literally cant even move at all and just sit there and die.

Shame because I really like what they've done here, it's just not playable for me with the control scheme and I don't use controllers at all to play pc games so....

retarded.
just bought it earlier today and already refunded after 16 minutes of play, but honestly I didn't even need the full 16 minutes. I knew after the very first scene I was pretty much done with it. Died 2 times in the first combat area to little grunt type enemies because you can't figure out which directional key you gotta hit depending on which way the camera is facing. Then if you get surrounded you literally cant even move at all and just sit there and die.

Shame because I really like what they've done here, it's just not playable for me with the control scheme and I don't use controllers at all to play pc games so....
I mean its literally the twin stick shooter genre soooo.

Looks like this game is up next for me since nothing else is coming out for about a month.

What's the status of the GamePass version of the game at the moment? Still partially borked or is it on par with the other versions yet?

Looks like this game is up next for me since nothing else is coming out for about a month.

What's the status of the GamePass version of the game at the moment? Still partially borked or is it on par with the other versions yet?
A patch was released last week that finally brought it up to parity with the Steam version.

I tried the MS store version and ended up bailing on it. I'd be playing normally and then all of a sudden the game would straight-up pause for an explosion or something new on the screen. I tried to do some of the "flow control" stuff in Windows Defender that people were recommending, but that didn't seem to matter. The game wasn't compelling enough to deal with that.

This game has potential but it just ends up being plain bad due to the numerous issues plaguing it.

This game has potential but it just ends up being plain bad due to the numerous issues plaguing it.
I was having fun playing with three of my friends but I agree with you. The bugs and constant issues just turned us away. I don't think I'm coming back to it any time soon.

I heard a big patch dropped today. I hope it fixes a lot of the bugs with the game.

The biggest issue for me is that the game is almost too overly detailed in the environment, which is weird to say but with the really terrible map system it makes it a real pain in the ass trying to navigate.

The biggest issue for me is that the game is almost too overly detailed in the environment, which is weird to say but with the really terrible map system it makes it a real pain in the ass trying to navigate.
I don't think that is related to detail, the map is simply useless.

Looks decent. If that music isn't by Front Line Assembly then the composer shamelessly cloned Front Line Assembly.
I justvthought the same thing. Sounds like it's FLA from the Tactical Neural Implant era.

Reactions: DPI
like this
My save game broke on the end of mission 9, crashes everytime at the same point. About 12ish hours into the game and only 12 missions total, so maybe another 5 hours.

for now I gave up, probably one of the more glitchy experiences I've had in the last 5 years. Starting a multiplayer lobby was difficult, lots of hitching, a few hard crashes and now this hard stop. Worse than my experience with CP2077 by far.

Thanks. I've had my eye on this title for COOP but have been holding out for a bugfix patch.

Cyber Warrior DLC Pack (2 new weapons, 1 new tactical, 7 pieces of armour and 3 new weapon skins) available today, priced at $4.99...additionally, a New Game Plus mode has been added for free...players can unlock it upon completion of mission 12, activating tougher enemies equipped with extra abilities and faster projectiles that will be harder to dodge...the levels are also increased up to 30, while weapons can be upgraded beyond Mark 10

The Ascent is also officially coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 on March 24th...Pre-orders are already live on the PlayStation Store

Did performance ever get fixed on the PC? I bailed after the game kept full-on pausing when explosions and certain effects were onscreen.

Depends on your hardware and chosen settings. But for me, yes.
Going through it now, have no issues @4K at Ultra everything, DLSS quality but have to turn off raytracing reflections (other ray tracing options are on). For some reason ray tracing reflections bring the framerate dips to unplayable FPS @4K with rtx 3080. However, the game is buggy with random crashes, with one of the missions not triggering an event so I had to walk back and come back to trigger. So fair amount of bugs at least for me on a gamepass version. But having said that, the game is a very enjoyable co op experience.

*D'oh! I thought I was on the Cyberpunk thread, I don't even have the Ascent yet... Gotta clear more backlog (Jedi Fallen Order complete, Horizon: Zero Dawn almost complete)

Cyber Warrior DLC Pack (2 new weapons, 1 new tactical, 7 pieces of armour and 3 new weapon skins) available today, priced at $4.99...additionally, a New Game Plus mode has been added for free...players can unlock it upon completion of mission 12, activating tougher enemies equipped with extra abilities and faster projectiles that will be harder to dodge...the levels are also increased up to 30, while weapons can be upgraded beyond Mark 10

The Ascent is also officially coming to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 on March 24th...Pre-orders are already live on the PlayStation Store
PS5. Nice. Has anyone played this with a controller? Is it simply moving with one stick, and aiming around in a circle with the other? Do you also have to move the cursor for the range an enemy is from you?

Anyone know the current state of this game on PC? Have the bug been ironed out? Looks fun and would like to play co-op, ray tracing etc. but if there's a risk of broken save games at 12h in that is a deal breaker for me.

Anyone know the current state of this game on PC? Have the bug been ironed out? Looks fun and would like to play co-op, ray tracing etc. but if there's a risk of broken save games at 12h in that is a deal breaker for me.
Co-op is still rocky in terms of rando bugs (triggers not working, weird sound problems) but no fatal issues with saves or anything in about 11hr played.

Back