The antivirus thread to silence them all..

I have zone alarm security suite and f-prot installed. I am not very pleased with the av part of zone, I really like their firewall, but the av doesnot seem to catch stuff. I am kind of indifferent on f-prot. it pops up now and again with warnings. I am thinking of going back to the plain Zone firewall, and getting NOD 32. I might also try out AVG. I usually install that on friends computers when they ask me to fix their computer because "my computer is really slow.."

What are everyones thoughts on more than one AV. If you set them to scan at different times, so that they dont interfer with each other?

More than one AV: bad, bad, evil bad. Did I say it was bad?

It's obsessive and crossing the line into sheer paranoia. Insanity is a word that comes to mind also.

Oh, just for fun...

NOD32. Always. Just like Porsche...

"There is no substitute..."

More than one AV: bad, bad, evil bad. Did I say it was bad?

Can you please explain? I have been running two av's for a long time, and I have never had any trouble, unless there is something going on in the back ground that I can't see. I am curious as to why people say that 2 av's is bad.. Is it personal experiance or is it just an old wive's tale; an urban legend. Is there a specific reason why you wouldn't run 2. I don't over clock and I don't play alot of games.
My computer is basically for encoding video and editing photos which it does quite well.

I would really appriciate some sound advise on the 2 vrs 1 av issue, not the old standard saying, "I don't use 2 because you are not supposed to, it's bad." I want some real world expirience answers. Also I hope this does not start a flame war. Just some good healthy debate.

Thanks

NORTON BABY. Ok I hate Mcafee and the only freeware here is some Sophos anti virus program. I keep the computer pretty clean though.

Norton Coporate 10.1 provided by Penn State :D

Low system usage, and much higher detection.

I use Ad-Aware Pro in conjunction.

The issue with running 2 AVs on one machine arises when one AV may recognize another AVs definition files of virii as a virus itself. It is typically not a good idea to have more than one AV scan going at a time. Like, don't have nod32 running at the same times as kapersky, but you can run the scheduled scans at seperate times.

Thanks for the reply. I have never had either of them recognize the others signitures as virii, and I schedule them to run at different times.

Hello,

Another issue with running multiple anti-virus programs simultaneously is that conflicts can occur when they intercept the same disk and file I/O operations, which can cause problems such as decreased performance or even problems accessing files, which can cause the applications accessing them to report an error or crash.

If you are going to run multiple anti-virus programs together, it is a good idea to disable all of the memory-resident on-access scanning components on all of them except one, and use the others to perform scheduled or on-demand scans.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

MrFace said:
Mine is called Common Sense. It works well.
no shit. stick to reputable sites, know how to email. I run naked!

there, NOW the thread title makes sense =)

If you need answers, contact any current antivirus software producer like Symantec, Eset, Grisoft, etc. Ask them the same question. If a single one of them even hints that running multiple AV programs concurrently is a good thing, then there ya go.

But I seriously doubt any of them will or could do that.

Back