The Ampere overstock situation

LukeTbk

Supreme [H]ardness
For all the talks about deal and a buyer market because of an overstock of Ampere problem, that would cause an issue to launch new cards for NVidia partner having to sell them, taking some time to look at it on amazon, newegg, pcpartlist, bhp and some canadians locations.

Both availability and pricing on the relevant Ampere product line when talking lovelace (say 3080 and higher sku) seem to be absolutely terrible, while RDNA 2 6800xt and up is exceptional in comparison.

3080TI priced like a 4080 16gb anyway, little 3080 and in the over $825 USD.

Is the real problem for Nvidia not more the giant used market flooded by the closing Mining operation than the supposed massive stock of unsold new one ?

Maybe some of those rumors were true:
https://gamerant.com/rumor-nvidia-cancels-production-rtx-3080-12-gb/

I see on ebay some less desired 3090 have gone for under $700 and the more available and cheaper the 4080 series would be, the cheaper the used 3090 would get and the performance difference between them would not justify the price.

If you look today though, even that video from 3 days ago isn't keeping up. The 6600xt is up over $300 again.

I think there is a vast underestimation of just how many people WANT or NEED a new graphics card after literally about 4 years of insane prices and near zero availability.

In my opinion there is a very good chance that even accounting for every single used crypto card that is still functional enough to re-sell back into the consumer market that it isn't enough to satisfy the need for an upgrade of some kind to extremely obsolescent or obsolete video cards out there.

Look at the Steam hardware survey for November and remembering that Steam users skew the hardware toward more hardcore gamers: There are still over 7% using 1050 and 1050 Ti. And a little under 1% each for 950, 960, 970.

These are gamers that should already be on a RX 6600 or GTX 1660 or GTX 1660 super.

And more odd is the long list of Directx 10 cards in particular the slew of 9000 series Nvidia and 200 series Nvidia from ages ago. The entire list of those cards have been INCREASING in usage for the last 3 months. In my mind that can be attributed entirely to people literally digging 10 year old cards and computers out of the closet to try to build something to get by with for a while.

There has got to be a nearly insatiable demand for any decent performance card that drops under $200 right now. Hence the reason 2060 cards and 1660s are still selling like there is no tomorrow.

Back