The AMD Next Horizon Gaming Keynote Live Stream

Lol sorry and thanks for pointing it out. Reading comprehension is important and I failed here.
Don't sweat it, reading comprehension fail is my everyday.

To answer your question though, 2070 less than $399 eBay, $479 on Amazon for EVGA Black, $399-440 warehouse deals.

But I wouldn't buy now with Jen-Hsun about to "drunk-heil-hitler-wedding-wave" Turing prices.

Last edited:
Nah, the AMD store will be OOS 99% of the time while eBay has all the cards for MSRP +25-50%. Just like it was w/Nvidia store.

well both cards will do me fine with my 1080p screen and no immediate update planned.
This grumpy old wrinkly assed MOFO is getting a new GFX next month,,,,, question is which one, ball still in the air.
If Navi i am not going for that blower card, will have to run on air for some month until new case and one more complete H2O loop is acquired.

Does anybody know the actual die size for navi?

I've read elsewhere the 5700xt is only 232~mm^2 but obviously nothing solid. I wonder what's holding them back from making a big 400mm^2+ monster... If such a tiny chip is ahead of the 2070 (which is around 450mm^2, save a bit for the RT complex..) they should be able to scale this up into 2080-2080Ti territory.

Size according to AMD: 251 mm2 - slide shown to tech media.

It's a tiny chip, but on a much more expensive process, which makes it not that much of a benefit in price vs the 2070 Chip.

Edit: Just to be clear, it's still likely cheaper than the 2070 die, but not anywhere near the extent that the dies sized difference alone would indicate.

Last edited:
Size according to AMD: 251 mm2 - slide shown to tech media.

It's a tiny chip, but on a much more expensive process, which makes it not that much of a benefit in price vs the 2070 Chip.

Edit: Just to be clear, it's still likely cheaper than the 2070 die, but not anywhere near the extent that the dies sized difference alone would indicate.

I'm fairly certain AMD plans to release the big Navi on the 7nm+ which uses EUV to ensure a solidwin over 2080ti.

They coulf also just be waiting for TSMC To get 400mm dies with yield rates over 80% so they don't have to price it at $1200 like Nviida did to acocubt for their terrible yield rate on that monster Turing die. Just a guess.

why do I think these cards are probably going to OC pretty damn well lol. We might be seeing 2080 performance if we can clock it above 2ghz, fuck power! LOL!

Reminds of the old radeon beasts.

why do I think these cards are probably going to OC pretty damn well lol. We might be seeing 2080 performance if we can clock it above 2ghz, fuck power! LOL!

Reminds of the old radeon beasts.

same was said about Vega and VegaII.. nothing happened..

Nah, the AMD store will be OOS 99% of the time while eBay has all the cards for MSRP +25-50%. Just like it was w/Nvidia store.

Not saying it will not be the case this time around, but I do know that Vega 7 was available on AMD's site week's after it was sold out else where. I know this because I purchased my card a week or two after release and I checked the website daily before I made my purchased.

Edit: I ordered from AMD's Canadian site

Maybe the other thing that could be a factor in terms of "who needs 16 cores anyway" is that game devs probably develop for the hardware that's generally out in the wild...

So maybe it is that if we have no competition in the desktop/gaming PC market for years and the vast majority of CPU's are a 4 or 6 core config...... then we're going to get 4 and 6 core games?

Vega was shit but the Radeon VII can overclock quite well. It seems they are leaving performance on the table now. We shall see... I am betting that the Vanilla 5700 will be able to ride with the 5700XT with pretty simple tweaks.

Reactions: NKD
like this
I guess it goes back to being boring for a while. Not much expected in the months ahead from any of the players??

No mention of Ray Tracing

Apparently it was mentioned at the separate press event. There was one slide:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-radeon-image-sharpening-dlss-ray-tracing-e3-2019/

AMD reaffirmed that ray tracing would eventually need to include hardware acceleration, but gave no clear indication when that would appear in future cards. AMD also mentioned that the eventual solution would move to “full scene ray tracing leveraging cloud computing,” though it didn’t elaborate more on how that would happen.
ray-tracing-amd-vision2-1600x900.jpg

The bonus here is that it doesn't need training, and it should work at nearly any resolution or frame rate:

As a photographer, 'untrained' sharpening can be problematic. In some cases it may work better than DLSS, and in others it could introduce noticeable / immersion-breaking artifacts. And both in the same game.

They're going to need to 'tune' it per game like DLSS. Nice to have the option, and I hope Nvidia releases something equivalent (it's not hard to do), but it'll take some time to get right.

BTW no mention of VR either.

Cards too slow :D

Vega 56 with its fewer CUs could actually overclock extremely well when power limits were thrown out the window.

These Navi cards also being smaller like that make me think it could be possible they have more headroom than the Vega lines.....or AMD has already squeezed all they can out of them just to pretend to compete.

These Navi cards also being smaller like that make me think it could be possible they have more headroom than the Vega lines

They may be harder to cool because they're smaller. We'll have to see how it works out with retail samples.

Vega was shit but the Radeon VII can overclock quite well. It seems they are leaving performance on the table now. We shall see... I am betting that the Vanilla 5700 will be able to ride with the 5700XT with pretty simple tweaks.

Both VeGa 56/64 abf Vega VII aka Vega 60 had a good bit of Oc headroom. You just needed to be able to read well enough adjust some simple sliders to keep the GPU(s) from reaching the TBP limit and throttling.

I had several golden samples of each 56/64 and my VII is no slouch either. AMD just messed up by not either launching custom cooled AIB SKUs or shipping them with an AIO and having the AIBs do some simple binning. You would have seen a ton of samples that would systain 1700mHz+ and 1-1.1Ghz on the HBM.

In the end Vega was a great success for AMD since they sold every card they made. Had SK Hynix not screwed AMD by promising 1Ghz+ speed rated HBM ICs and then failing to deliver, you would have seen VEGA enter the market much sooner and AMD still would have sold every single card.

This is not the same vega shitty marketing team and Raja hyping shit up though lol.

Well the awkward moments is where they sent out people talk about all of the new Vega features and they did that quite a good while before the launch and what ended up being discussed were features that hardly mattered or had to be implemented by game developers it was such a long shopping list of features and in the end some of them were not even supported or implemented(hardware) ....
To be honest that was a pretty bold move by AMD to _try_ marketing ;)

Yes, we know: it's a gimmick when NVIDIA does it, but a useful feature when AMD eventually copies it :cool:.
Well after y'day the one that was the easiest to make: were still waiting for Nvidia to copy AMD prices , now not so sure about that :) .

Back