The AMD CES 2020 High-Performance Computing Keynote Live Here!

This only continues to work if Ice Lake is pretty much a no-show, as it has been. If Intel could get its act together on 10nm mobile in any sort of volume, it would totally decimate the entire thin/ultralight segment (which is a HUGE part of the laptop TAM).

That said, Ryzen 7 4000 mobile APUs are looking pretty damn sweet if you want gaming/creation. Still at over 3lbs, there are not a lot of folks that want to pack that around.
Gaming/Content agreed, Didn't see specs on the Ultras. Not sure if AMD can compete there.

The leaks have been spot on. The threadripper is damn sexy and even though I don't need it. This machine would never be off had I owned it. :D

Soooo no Ryzen 4000 announcements? I skipped through the presentation so I could have missed it...

I admit I'm disappointed not hearing about something above the 5700XT. I don't mind hearing about lower end options and I get that the $200-300 market is important, but I'm concerned how they'll compare on price and performance to existing Nvidia options (GTX 1660 or RTX 2060 / 2070). I would have preferred to hear about the next mid-high end GPUs and especially their support of raytracing in the event that AMD is going to be supplying a raytracing-compatible GPU for the next Xbox and Playstation devices.

That ROG Zephyrus line has always been neat and expanding it is nice to see, but I have to wonder why they're using an AMD CPU and an NVidia GPU? Much less, how both the 14" and 15" versions seem to be using lower grade 2060 6GB - that just doesn't seem worth it when previous Zephyrus lineups have (at 15" anyway) offered 2070+. I would have rather seen some Navi GPUs like a mobile 5700XT instead, but if they were going to push NV then something better than 2060 6GB is required, especially for the premium that ROG Zephyrus usually focused upon.

The leaks have been spot on. The threadripper is damn sexy and even though I don't need it. This machine would never be off had I owned it. :D
Spot on is not the word I would have used. :)

sadfasf.png

She did say 3950X is a mainstream chip. They really don't need to release anything on that front for as long as Intel has no competitor.

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Still at over 3lbs, there are not a lot of folks that want to pack that around.

Not sure why they're not getting the weight down -- but AMD should have what it takes to at least start shipping ultrabook alternatives, even if they're not hitting the battery life targets that Intel has been. I'm looking for close, with better GPU performance, and hopefully VRR 120Hz from one of the boutiques like Alienware or Razer.

Except the $279 5500XT isn't really an alternative to the 1660 Ti as it is also competing with the 1660 Super at $229.

5500XT is 170 for the 4GB and ~210 for the 8GB model.. the 5600XT which is competing with the 1660TI is 279.

Reactions: Mega6
like this

Exactly as expected, if you follow sites with a good track record (Videocardz), and not the others that just post any old clickbait.

Not gonna happen. Long form written hardware tech review is dead as a business model for independent publications.

The novelty of long winded Tech Tubers is running it's course :( people are tired of wasting 30 minutes listening to someone rant and ramble with usually late news :(

Tech Tubing doesn't seem long for this world

5500XT is 170 for the 4GB and ~210 for the 8GB model.. the 5600XT which is competing with the 1660TI is 279.

Just because it is priced like that, doesn't make the 5500XT 8GB actually competetive with the 1660 Super.

Of the bunch 1660 Super looks most attractive to me.

I understand . It was worth a shot. No other place has the swagger H did. I and many others miss it.

Ugh. Was hopping 4000 Series APU would be desktop. Waiting starts again.

Really want 8C/16T with reasonable integrated gfx and OSS linux support for media server.

here's the keynote i say press f to intel, but not to pay respect! :ROFLMAO: ,.i..

Reactions: erek
like this
What's the point of hardcore mobile hardware when NOBODY BUILDS GOOD AMD LAPTOPS!

I want an awesome amd laptop... but my choices are garbage laptops ...if it's not garbage implementation then it's garbage parts married to whatever amd has out (half a year after they're launched or more).

Whether that's due to side deals with intel / nvidia or some other issue with the business side of things (like support deals) ...doesn't matter much. End result is consumers dont see the potential and end up buying whatever nonsense intel is repackaging because that's all that's available with a sexy screen and quality cooling and power management, keyboard etc.

If Microsoft crammed the same parts from the Asus G14 into the Surface Book 3 that would be excellent.

What's the point of hardcore mobile hardware when NOBODY BUILDS GOOD AMD LAPTOPS!

I want an awesome amd laptop... but my choices are garbage laptops ...if it's not garbage implementation then it's garbage parts married to whatever amd has out (half a year after they're launched or more).

Whether that's due to side deals with intel / nvidia or some other issue with the business side of things (like support deals) ...doesn't matter much. End result is consumers dont see the potential and end up buying whatever nonsense intel is repackaging because that's all that's available with a sexy screen and quality cooling and power management, keyboard etc.

They had some good launch systems back when Raven Ridge first hit shelves. They quickly disappeared because it was clear that reliance on full-power DDR4 would mean lower battery life than Intel's competing platforms (still running DDR3L).

You can't make idiots buy a machine with 1/3 less battery life for the same price, when that's the top thing most people expect out of a high-end Ultraportable.

The raping of Ice Lake versus Zen+ on Ryzen Laptop was mostly because of the ram difference. This new Zen2 APU has support for the same LPDDR4X ram.

113951.png

They had some good launch systems back when Raven Ridge first hit shelves. They quickly disappeared because it was clear that reliance on full-power DDR4 would mean lower battery life than Intel's competing platforms (still running DDR3L).

You can't make idiots buy a machine with 1/3 less battery life for the same price, when that's the top thing most people expect out of a high-end Ultraportable.

The raping of Ice Lake versus Zen+ on Ryzen Laptop was mostly because of the ram difference. This new Zen2 APU has support for the same LPDDR4X ram.

View attachment 214234
Now if Dell would actually sell the AMD one for a lower price since the CPU costs less...

Now if Dell would actually sell the AMD one for a lower price since the CPU costs less...

I don't think these new 7nm APUs are going sell for less than Intels. I recall somewhere in all of this info I read somewhere that pricing would be similar to Intels.

People don't seem to realize that AMD is just like it's competitors, in that it wants to maximize profits and part of that is maximizing selling price.

When they feel they have a particularly strong product it's going to have a higher price.

Apparently not! What the hell??? Somebody should lose their job over this.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-amd-admits-fake-images-used-during-p/1100-6472535/
Thurrott confirmed what the ports look like on the current development model.

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/227520/xbox-series-x-ports-revealed

upload_2020-1-9_11-9-55.png

From top to bottom:
  • SPDIF optical out
  • Proprietary debugging port
  • HDMI 2.1 out
  • USB 3.1 Type-A
  • USB 3.1 Type-A
  • RJ45 Ethernet in
  • AC power in
Still important to point out that they can still change by the time the console is released. Right now there is a disappointing lack of USB ports and no USB-C. At least it still has a SPDIF output. I wonder what will replace the proprietary port in the production model.

Back