The AMD CES 2020 High-Performance Computing Keynote Live Here!

Hmm maybe we'll see big Navi, that's about the only thing that interests me.

Reactions: erek
like this
Thanks erek!
addl link
AMD is holding its CES press conference today at 2 PM Pacific, 5 PM Eastern.

Reactions: erek
like this
The Sr director of RTG looks super nervous. Just goes to show how easy Lisa, Jensen, raja etc make the difficult presentations look.

So even more tiered versions of free sync?

Where are the GPUs!!!!!

The Sr director of RTG looks super nervous. Just goes to show how easy Lisa, Jensen, raja etc make the difficult presentations look.

agree.. can't remember did she participate in the computex keynote or is this her first one? if it's her first she's still doing pretty well even if it's obvious she's super nervous and trying not to make any mistakes with what she says.

Ice Lake i s officially dead. Ryzen 7 4800U has twice as many cores, and should make up the ST performance gap currently seen between it and Zen+.

The Vega GPU should be 50% faster, and support for LPDDR4x is the killing blow.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1528...-slim-7-with-amd-4000-apu-inside-coming-march

after they talked about that 1065g7 what ever i decided to look it up.. 3.9Ghz single core boost with a base frequency of 1.3Ghz just so they could slap a 12w tdp rating on it.. wtf and some one at intel thought that was a good idea?

i'm going to guess lisa will come out at the end and tease big navi but no real numbers.

Hmm no big Navi I guess. Maybe we'll see it in March.

i'm going to guess lisa will come out at the end and tease big navi but no real numbers.

Hopefully, even a flashy cgi video could build hype. The 4800H looks really nice.

She looks nervous cause she knew they really had little to nothing to make a big deal about even though she was supposed to.

"Our new 5600 line!!! You can get it for only $279!"
*silence*
*a couple people gave one or two claps*
"ok well Id like to introduce this new guy..."

Lisas reign as the best presenter at AMD is still active. That lady sounded so nervous!

5600xt booooooooo!!!!

Yup, I love it when they play it up like it's a great value at $280, when you can buy the same performance as the old 1660 Ti for $230 now!

At $280, being 10% faster than a 1660 Super is not a great value. If Nvidia cared at all, all they would have to do is price cut the 2060 6GB to $300.

I'm hoping they'll pull a ... Oh one more thing ... BIG NAVI!

But I'm not going to bet on it quite yet.

Eh at least the 4800H seems interesting for laptop jockeys.

4800H beating 9700k in Firestrike by 10% and beats the equivalent Intel laptop part (9750H) by 39%. Seems decent as a laptop processor. Yes, its just 3DMark but will still likely be a step forward for laptops in real gaming performance (just not 40%).

Jeebus ... I don't need 64 cores but I know some of you guys might.

Might the laptop to get for myself, glad I didn't pull any trigger on laptop purchase during last quarter.

I just pulled the trigger on a Razer 17 Pro (9750h+2070mq) a month or so ago - so no new lappies for me for awhile that's for sure.

I don't know how AMD can brag about top end gpu performance when 2080 ti eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They should have shown big Navi, even raw silicon in her hand and saying "be on the lookout for what we're bringing to the market to prove our market leading performance " would be enough but maybe the lingering threat of Ampere is stopping them from making bold claims. Overall a decent presentation from AMD but the gpu side was really disappointing.

I don't know how AMD can brag about top end gpu performance when 2080 ti eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They should have shown big Navi, even raw silicon in her hand and saying "be on the lookout for what we're bringing to the market to prove our market leading performance " would be enough but maybe the lingering threat of Ampere is stopping them from making bold claims. Overall a decent presentation from AMD but the gpu side was really disappointing.

Big Navi was known to not be ready for CES, and they said something that was true that they are top performance at their price bracket.

That said, dayumn that laptop performance comparison spelled out murder VS ice lake, st & Mt.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the $200-$300 range makes up the bulk of GPU sales right? AMD is going for market share.

She did Scott Herkelman's preso. He had some personal issues he had to address and could not make the trip out to CES in time for the show. Surely not her cup of tea as you could tell and she did it on short notice. Worth noting, she did the whole thing from memory as well. She gets props from me for hanging in there.

If it' not ready, it's not ready. Remember it took 6 months after the announcement at CES before consumers ever got their hands on Vega 64?

AMD could always have a counter press event in March to upset Nvidia's GDC. It was there they announced Volta back in 2017 (so it's a serious event). It wouldn't surprise me if they announced Ampere there (at least the professional side).

It's either that or they announce it at E3, along with the final specs for the PS5/Xbox Series X

Last edited:
3990 seems very similar to the 2990 being a super specialized CPU with the lower base clocks. 3960/70 seem to be the sweet spot if you still want somewhat decent single threaded performance like the 2950x had last gen.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
like the $199 5500xt this isnt undercut nvidia but present an alternative at 1660 TI pricing - it is also halfway between $199 5500xt and $349 5700 pricing .

Of course there were some discounted 5700 being sold during the holidays close to $299 too . Heck there were Vegas out at just over $200 used

What is going to make or break AMD sub $400 is raising quality overall of the finished product with the board partners .

Good to see AMD push in the Laptop market where they are weak. New CPUs/APUs and Mobile GPUs look good.

Good to see AMD push in the Laptop market where they are weak. New CPUs/APUs and Mobile GPUs look good.
This only continues to work if Ice Lake is pretty much a no-show, as it has been. If Intel could get its act together on 10nm mobile in any sort of volume, it would totally decimate the entire thin/ultralight segment (which is a HUGE part of the laptop TAM).

That said, Ryzen 7 4000 mobile APUs are looking pretty damn sweet if you want gaming/creation. Still at over 3lbs, there are not a lot of folks that want to pack that around.

like the $199 5500xt this isnt undercut nvidia but present an alternative at 1660 TI pricing - it is also halfway between $199 5500xt and $349 5700 pricing .

Of course there were some discounted 5700 being sold during the holidays close to $299 too . Heck there were Vegas out at just over $200 used

What is going to make or break AMD sub $400 is raising quality overall of the finished product with the board partners .
Except the $279 5500XT isn't really an alternative to the 1660 Ti as it is also competing with the 1660 Super at $229.

Edit. meant to type 5600XT not 5500XT.

Last edited:
Back