The amazingness that is Mirror's Edge.

zamardii

2[H]4U
I basically just wanted to take a moment to express just how incredibly refreshing it is to play Mirror's Edge. I bought the game for PC after playing the demo on PS3. I like first-person games on PC way better and I couldn't have made a better decision. I also just got a new monitor and the game on highest settings looks incredibly beautiful at 1920x1080 and runs great.

I have to say that the gameplay is incredibly refreshing to me after all the FPS games i've played recently like Crysis: Warhead, UT3, and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare... which are all great games but Mirror's Edge is incredibly fun, controls which are simple yet good, and great gameplay. Games these days are trying to be more real and imitate actual life a lot more as well as graphics and such, but I really like what this game does. It takes a futuristic setting, gives you human-like abilities, interesting gameplay reminiscent of Prince of Persia in first person, and gives the world almost a comic book-like feel to it with the colors and the atmosphere.

The city looks beautiful with all the reflections,the HDR, reflections of the sun off objects... Like when I was running up a scaffolding and a subway passed in front of me nearer to the street and the glare from the sun bounced off the window of a subway car as it passed by and was pretty bright and hit me in the eye. The graphics in general like the textures of the walls, the water, and the particle effects all give the environment a believable distinction from the rest of the colored world.

The game is believable enough to drag you into the moment, but it also incredibly fun when faced with everything in the world. Nothing about it has seemed to far-fetched yet at far as the character's abilities. The game also has some of the most exciting moments I have ever experienced in a game for a very long time. Everything from running from the "Blues" to sliding down the side of a building while a helicopter is shooting at me and then having to jump over to the next rooftop as the roof you are sliding on ends.

I think EA made a good decision to risk this title... they hit a very good medium with gameplay, visuals, difficulty, and controls. I imagine this feeling is like when people played Metal Gear for the first time. People were like," What? The idea is to not alert or kill the enemies but avoid as much as possible?" Mirror's Edge gives you that opportunity in a sense... such as when I am running through a building and doors in front of me are being kicked open by SWAT teams and I can choose to fight or not and after trying to fight the first time I realized it was a bad idea so I just ran for it... which the chase was much more exhilarating than just fighting.

Anyway, I was also curious what some of your thoughts were on this game as well but the main point was to just express my satisfaction with this game... although I haven't finished it yet.

I'm glad to hear that ME is living up to the hype it had pre-release. I may just have to pick it up for myself :) If I may ask, where did you get it and roughly for what price? Steam perhaps?

Last edited:
it was a nice game... with Physx enabled ;)

Does your character constantly move? I got the game last week but stopped playing because for some reason the character will always walk forward (no keys pressed). Quite infuriating. Did some searching around but couldn't find anyone with a similar issue. Other than that, yeah its a beautiful game.

I thought it was a great game. Some of the combat didn't really flow with the game, though. I hope they fix that in the sequel. Also, I hope they get a little more creative with the platforming.

Does your character constantly move? I got the game last week but stopped playing because for some reason the character will always walk forward (no keys pressed). Quite infuriating. Did some searching around but couldn't find anyone with a similar issue. Other than that, yeah its a beautiful game.

Did you pirate the game? EA put in some intentional "bugs" that are meant to annoy pirates. If you didn't, then I'm not sure. You could try reinstalling the game.

I thought it was a great game. Some of the combat didn't really flow with the game, though. I hope they fix that in the sequel. Also, I hope they get a little more creative with the platforming.

Did you pirate the game? EA put in some intentional "bugs" that are meant to annoy pirates. If you didn't, then I'm not sure. You could try reinstalling the game.
It wasn't necessarily the pirating of the game, just the application of a no-cd patch that caused the issues, which I think is bullshit.

Luckily, I got it through EA downloader, so it's got a no-cd patch of sorts built in.

No. My character does not constantly move. The only glitch I had with the game is that wi\th Physx enabled it slowed down a lot, and when I turned it off it was still jumpy. So I patched the game, and installed the latest video drivers. Works perfectly now. Btw, I don't see the point of having PhysX enabled... For me at least, it really slowed everything down. Disabled, it runs perfectly and seems no different.

No. My character does not constantly move. The only glitch I had with the game is that wi\th Physx enabled it slowed down a lot, and when I turned it off it was still jumpy. So I patched the game, and installed the latest video drivers. Works perfectly now. Btw, I don't see the point of having PhysX enabled... For me at least, it really slowed everything down. Disabled, it runs perfectly and seems no different.
The idea of Physx is to have a dedicated GPU taking care of it. If you are going to ask the same card you are using to run all the eye candy with highest AA and AF to take of the Physx then you need a beefy card.
I run a GTX280 as main and a 9800gtx+ as Physx and the game is gorgeous.
I totally agree that is one of favorite games and I hope that a sequel comes out soon.
Regards

No I didn't pirate it, I picked it up on sale. I admit I'm using the no-cd simply because I hate hearing my drive rumble when it isn't necessary. I've got a legit copy. OP, are you using a no-cd patch? Also, if EA really did put in some intentional "bugs" dont you think there would be some kind of trace of that on google? I couldn't find anything.

ps: I have physx enabled and I don't experience any slow down at all. Looks great. Your 8800 might be the culprit.

No I didn't pirate it, I picked it up on sale. I admit I'm using the no-cd simply because I hate hearing my drive rumble when it isn't necessary. I've got a legit copy. OP, are you using a no-cd patch? Also, if EA really did put in some intentional "bugs" dont you think there would be some kind of trace of that on google? I couldn't find anything.

ps: I have physx enabled and I don't experience any slow down at all. Looks great. Your 8800 might be the culprit.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26746383

Seems like the "bug" affected some legit users as well. (Or maybe he just used a no-cd crack).

The idea of Physx is to have a dedicated GPU taking care of it. If you are going to ask the same card you are using to run all the eye candy with highest AA and AF to take of the Physx then you need a beefy card.
I run a GTX280 as main and a 9800gtx+ as Physx and the game is gorgeous.
I totally agree that is one of favorite games and I hope that a sequel comes out soon.
Regards

Luckily there is a sequel in the works... here's a article I just read at Gamespot.com.

Electronic Arts made a number of gambles on new intellectual properties last year, all to varying degrees of success. One such risk that has yet to make a mark is Mirror's Edge, a parkour-inspired first-person action adventure developed by Swedish studio EA DICE. Upon its launch on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in November, the title generated positive review scores, but has barely sold over 250,000 units to date in the US. (It was also released on the PC early this year.)

EA is keeping the Faith.

Still, EA has not yet given up on the new franchise. In December, EA CEO John Riccitiello said that his company was evaluating the franchise's potential, and it appears Mirror's Edge survived the scrutiny. Speaking with UK site VideoGamer.com, EA Games Europe vice president Patrick Soderlund confirmed that a Mirror's Edge follow-up is in the works.

"You will see another Mirror's Edge for sure," Soderlund said. "It's just a matter of when that time is and what we do with it. We have a small team on it, and I'm excited about what we do." EA had not responded to GameSpot's request for comment on Soderlund's statement as of press time.

Prior to Mirror's Edge's tepid launch extending a shadow over the franchise's future, EA DICE senior producer Owen O'Brien said that the game's current storyline has been mapped out as a trilogy. "I think there's a lot of scope to take the story in different directions, or maybe tell someone else's story," he said. "But certainly for these first couple games, it's all about Faith. It's all about her experience in the world." The producer also noted a primary focus for a Mirror's Edge sequel would be a level editor.

The Mirror's Edge series also has friends in high places. Speaking with GameSpot as part of a 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo interview, EA Games president Frank Gibeau expressed faith in the series, noting that it "did quite well in Europe, but not as well in the US."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6211934.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

I found ME entirely too repetitive, was cool for the first couple of hours though.

spent 2 hours on the game. then didn't bother to finish it. combat did not mesh well with the first person platform + sonic game play. i honestly didn't feel like a speedy person when playing the game.

the visual style was well done. i applaud them for making the game very stylized.

game is 3/5

My biggest problem with the game was how short it was. I haven't gone back to it after I wrote a review for it. Haven't really felt the need to do so, maybe one of these days. If people really care about my full thoughts, ask me and I'll provide a link to my review or some choice quotes.

i have to add to this thread as well. I think mirrors edge is one of the best game i played i recent memories.

I loved the fact that i also jumped on my chair to make those huge jumps!

i liked it a lot after i turned off all the help systems (still had to use the directional help key a lot tho). i enjoyed most of the game and absolutely loved the colors. it certainly wasnt perfect...combat could be extremely annoying and it was really short, but it's a title every gamer should experience.

If you find that you have problems with a constant movement drift in games, check any game devices you may have plugged in. It's common for a slight deviation in calibration to cause a joystick to constantly tilt in a given direction. People playing with kb/m often find that it's the idle joystick in the corner that's been affecting their game.

If you find that you have problems with a constant movement drift in games, check any game devices you may have plugged in. It's common for a slight deviation in calibration to cause a joystick to constantly tilt in a given direction. People playing with kb/m often find that it's the idle joystick in the corner that's been affecting their game.

I had that problem with GTAIV. Couldn't figure out why Niko wouldn't stop moving. Turns out that GTAIV works with any Xinput device, including driving wheels and foot pedals. One of the pedals was pressed down.

Played it on PS3 and really enjoyed it. Will prolly pick up on PC once it gets to the $10 range, but unfortunately won't have Physx support on my cards :(

Neither of us are even claiming to being reviewing anything, we're vocalising opinions.

I'd have thought the distinction would be obvious to anyone that wasn't thick.

He seems a bit obsessed by it. I also think ME is a pretty poor game, at least not worth the 60 bucks it retails for. A 20 dollar game maybe. The entire game feels like someone thought it would be cool to make a parkour game, then built on a bunch of poorly tacked on additions to the game.

It sure looks nice, but overall a failure in my opinion. God forbid this "review" wasn't 12 pages long with full discussion though. Anyone who says "I liked it" doesn't get a "lol nice review moron" response, but if you say you don't like it, apparently you have to watch out....

. . . The entire game feels like someone thought it would be cool to make a parkour game, then built on a bunch of poorly tacked on additions to the game. . .

I agree with this, I too felt that Mirror's edge was a poor game as well. I enjoy a good fps as much as the next person, but this game feels like the entire combat system was an afterthought added in to appease the execs that said "FPSs make money."

I just finished this game for the 360 last weekend. I thought it was really great. I got it for $30 and knew about the length before buying it so that aspect didn't disappooint me. My biggest issue with the game was that unfortunately it gave me a really aweful headache everytime I played it for more than 15 minutes. Not really a fault of the game but it is the only game that has ever done it to me.

He seems a bit obsessed by it. I also think ME is a pretty poor game, at least not worth the 60 bucks it retails for. A 20 dollar game maybe. The entire game feels like someone thought it would be cool to make a parkour game, then built on a bunch of poorly tacked on additions to the game.

It sure looks nice, but overall a failure in my opinion. God forbid this "review" wasn't 12 pages long with full discussion though. Anyone who says "I liked it" doesn't get a "lol nice review moron" response, but if you say you don't like it, apparently you have to watch out....

That's what happens when dim people think they're allowed to correspond with you.

Situation's been rectified, thankfully.

Removed quote -Oldie.

Where were you on all the other posts that didn't give any support other than just "I liked it". Stop the righteous freakout dude, it's embarrassing. If someone posts that they really like a game, some people might, just might, have the opposite opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the original topic...

Mirror's Edge was probably one of my favorite all-time games and certainly an exciting and refreshing game unlike many that I have played. Probably one of the best games I've played in the past several years. I really hope they make a sequel...

Removed Quote -Oldie

The attack on my - flippant - choice of alias causes the term "Ad Hominem" to spring to mind. I'll leave it at that. At least you had a try, though.

But yeah, back on topic: I agree with the other guy. The game was poor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back