The Altcoin Thread

Congrats to all that made out like bandits on this latest BC pump!

As usual, my stupid trading skills allowed me to miss out on some great profit. But then of course, all of the action happened while I was at work or asleep. When it hit 80000 and 90000, I was at work. By the time I got home and was able to access my BC wallet, 50000's. Saw that it was heading up a bit again and decided not to do anything impulsive at the time I went to sleep for the night. Woke up in the morning... 30000's. Just friggin' awesome. Oh well, such is my luck.
For now I bought more at 30k, and put some sell orders at 80k, 90k and 100k, plus some additional I plan to put at 150k. I don't trade in real time, I just put my sell orders at the points at which I want to sell ;)

For now I bought more at 30k, and put some sell orders at 80k, 90k and 100k, plus some additional I plan to put at 150k. I don't trade in real time, I just put my sell orders at the points at which I want to sell ;)

Ya, it was after the fact that I had thought of that.... but even then, I didn't want to be another of those guys that said "I sold at X... I just wish I would have waited" because you never know where it will end up. Oh well. If there is a next time, all I can say is I will try to be prepared.

Not really worried about it because it is profit at this point. Where I sell just determines how big a profit.

Super smooth AsiaCoin launch. This should be interesting.

There is a single user with 400mhash on the pool I'm on - looks like a Titan or two.

Cannot connect so far. Even though my registration is accepted and my workers are enabled.
What stratum are you connection to?

Cannot connect so far. Even though my registration is accepted and my workers are enabled.
What stratum are you connection to?

They only have one stratum. Double-check your username and password.

stratum+tcp://ac.pool.mn:7219

Odd. One worker has finally connected the second not.
Must be some delay in approval.

Not sure it's going to matter, with 80% of the network hash rate being solo-mined by Titan's all the pools are currently experiencing issues with finding blocks, even if they have high hash rates.

Not gonna say I told them so.. but I told them so. Without x11 any coin launched is going to be insa-gibbed by ASIC's.

The devs from Litecoin wrote a long post over on bitcointalk about how all the contenders for ASIC-resistant coins/algos weren't good, including x11. It was a post discussing why they did not want to do a hard-fork for Litecoin due to ASICs coming out.

Not sure about that pool.
Finally got both workers to add but now it's already forgotten my password.
And I was able to change it and now it doesn't recognize that one either.

Edit: And now a third "successful" change not recognized.

Edit2: Screw it. Website login is complete crap............or I'm still a dummy :)

Last edited:
The devs from Litecoin wrote a long post over on bitcointalk about how all the contenders for ASIC-resistant coins/algos weren't good, including x11. It was a post discussing why they did not want to do a hard-fork for Litecoin due to ASICs coming out.

If I was a Litecoin dev who profited more from higher hashrates above anything else, I would make up some bullshit reasons to stick with Scrypt so I could net higher returns from ASIC's, too.

C'mon. Use that noodle, seriously. Do you believe everything you're told? The scrypt coins that change to scrypt-n/jane/x11/etc are doing so to keep the spirit of mining in the hands of the common person and out of businesses. Those who stick with it only care about themselves. Period.

If I was a Litecoin dev who profited more from higher hashrates above anything else, I would make up some bullshit reasons to stick with Scrypt so I could net higher returns from ASIC's, too.

C'mon. Use that noodle, seriously. Do you believe everything you're told? The scrypt coins that change to scrypt-n/jane/x11/etc are doing so to keep the spirit of mining in the hands of the common person and out of businesses. Those who stick with it only care about themselves. Period.

Plus, LITECOIN developer, the biggest Scrypt coin. I'm 99% sure some huge ASIC supporter promised the LTC team tons of money if they didn't change. If the ASIC companies lost LTC (and perhaps Doge) they'd pretty lose most of their buyers.

Plus, LITECOIN developer, the biggest Scrypt coin. I'm 99% sure some huge ASIC supporter promised the LTC team tons of money if they didn't change. If the ASIC companies lost LTC (and perhaps Doge) they'd pretty lose most of their buyers.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Seriously, don't believe all the FUD you hear - especially when it's from someone with a direct fiscal windfall needing to justify why they want to continue making tons of money at the expense of the people who made it possible for them to get to where they are to begin with.

Litecoin/Scrypt were designed for two primary reasons - increase the transaction time of Bitcoin (which is, frankly, atrocious), and to put mining back in the hands of all the GPU miners who were shit on by ASIC's. The bottom line is the Litecoin developers (as well as pretty much anyone who sticks with Scrypt going forward) are doing so for selfish reasons and will see scrypt mining become corporate-entity only farmed just like Bitcoin is today.

It's pretty equivocal to Occulus being crowd-sourced as an innovative new gamer-oriented product selling out to Facbook to become a social money-grab and basically saying "Fuck you! Thanks for the money!" to the people who made it possible for them to get big enough for Facebook to buy them to begin with. Justifiably, this should have the same community outrage.

Last edited:
The LTC developer (Coblee) proposed merged mining with Dogecoin about a week and a half ago. If this had happened, wouldn't this have rendered current ASICs obsolete as far as mining for LTC/Doge??

The LTC developer (Coblee) proposed merged mining with Dogecoin about a week and a half ago. If this had happened, wouldn't this have rendered current ASICs obsolete as far as mining for LTC/Doge??

Merged mining -- basically like get getting DOGE at the same time "for free" while mining LTC.... I would guess the price of DOGE would drop like a rock if that much power cranks on it on top of what's already here.

Out of curiosity, why would you think it would?

ASIC's are currently out for Scrypt.

Titan : 250mhash @ 900w for $10,000
1 R9 290X : 1mhash @ 350w for $600.

This obviously makes ASIC's far more efficient from the biggest factors in mining, the cost of electricity and the temperature regulation required to cool the GPU.

Both Dogecoin and Litecoin currently run Scrypt. Why would you conclude that combining their hash power while still remaining on Scrypt would mean anything? When a single Titan can equal the hash power of anywhere from 100-200 other INDIVIDUAL miners, the only way to defeat ASIC's is to fork the algorithm from scrypt to an ASIC-resistent algorithm such as scrypt-n, scrypt jane, or x11.

Scrypt was designed at it's core to combat ASIC's, knowing full well that eventually they would need to adjust to continue that promise. Failure to do so makes it very clear that there is now a line drawn in the sand, and as history often tends to repeat itself in humanity, GPU miners will find themselves once again on the wrong side of said line.

Shame on any Scrypt developer who stays on vanilla scrypt, as by doing so they are making their intentions to sell out their coin to corporate greed the same way Bitcoin did, and sadly against everything Scrypt stood for. There is no reason for that betrayal of the community. Period.

I thought I had read somewhere that current ASICs wouldn't be able to mine coins that are merged. I guess I was mistaken.

I'm really hoping VTC takes off here in a few weeks.

I have a small stash of LTC, mining as much as I can of BC and WDC. I still think (and hope) WDC comes back in a big way. It's cheap and easy to mine for now... holding a few thousand just in case :)

I thought I had read somewhere that current ASICs wouldn't be able to mine coins that are merged. I guess I was mistaken.

Only if they also fork the algorithm, something I would get behind but have not seen any published evidence was being considered in tandem.

Scrypt is scrypt, regardless of if it's merged or not.

Out of curiosity, why would you think it would?

ASIC's are currently out for Scrypt.

Titan : 250mhash @ 900w for $10,000
1 R9 290X : 1mhash @ 350w for $600.

There are Titans in the wild? Or just being tested? I didn't know they started shipping.

I have two rigs aimed at Doge. One at Blackcoin, and one small one at VTC.

there's a nice new x11 coin that just launched.

0% premine, no ipo, and block halving every month. should become rare pretty quick.

logicoin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=567114.0

Last edited:
I'm curious, how often does jumping from speculative new coin to speculative new coin pay off? A new coin is released every day pretty much. How does a post on bitcointalk persuade you one way or the other to mine it?

I'm curious, how often does jumping from speculative new coin to speculative new coin pay off? A new coin is released every day pretty much. How does a post on bitcointalk persuade you one way or the other to mine it?
Also interested in this. I have 6 rigs so I can mine a lot of stuff at any given time, but have a tough time wading through all of the garbage.

Unfortunately "wading through the garbage" is what makes this less fun but more profitable :)
I agree, 99% of what is said is brown-nosing, BS or begging. Makes it very much un-paletable.

Just came across Nicehash.com, it's basically like renting your rigs but with less hassle, gonna give it a shot and see what happens.

Just came across Nicehash.com, it's basically like renting your rigs but with less hassle, gonna give it a shot and see what happens.

Im at work so i can't freely check the site out -- but renting out ones rig -- I have 8Mhash of Scrypt power in my house, would be interested how I can rent it out.

Obviously power is factored into the price -- since I pay VERY little for power as it is (5 cents per kwh) if that would lend itself to being more profitable or competitive in the market for rentable rigs.

If I can average ~ 20 something dollars per day profit on my own, I would assume people would be willing to pay more than that per day. Factor in hardware cost, wear/tear/, power, cooling, and any potential investment gain value from the coins themselves over time.

Is there a going rate for selling my mining power per Mhash?

did some reading of it on my phone -- it seems easy enough. I might point my rigs there for a day or so and see how it goes. Did some trading and mining of BC still -- I missed out selling at the peak it's rebounded though. I've turned .20BTC into almost .60BTC in the past week.

If the gains are higher than anything I could mine after electricity - would be nice. Some rough calculation -- if I could sell my 8Mhash for $25 day (includes electricity) I'd be pretty happy I'd say.

Last edited:
Yeah.. with the amount of shitcoins coming out every week i'm pretty sure it's gonna be popular for a while. It would be a good time to build up some LTC before the KNC Titan farm goes online and blows the difficulty into oblivion.

There is higher stales / rejects going on right now at Wafflepool yes, but look at the profitability, it's pretty nice right now. Must be mining some new coins.

I have to say, I'm thoroughly disappointed with the drop in PotCoin's value last night and this morning...

:D

The EVGA power supplies are nice, i've got the 1000 and 1300, never had a problem with either of them.

On another note, the payouts from Waffle / Clever haven't been too shabby again today.

Any thoughts on Future coin? Some interesting concepts implemented, something a bit different at least.

Back