The allure of VR

Horiscopes

n00b
With this new movie coming out about VR and all the tech that it's associated with, I was just wondering; what's the allure of VR for all you guys out here?

Personally I like doing VR with my friends, it's really fun when you see how uncoordinated normal PC gamers are.

bh90xkZ.gif

rofl.

The allure is obvious really, the ability to believe you are in another world and able to interact with it directly rather than looking in on it.
It doesnt work out quite this well with many games but there are enough to properly showcase it.
And the screen door effect coupled with low res doesnt help. Trailing wires too.
But this will be alleviated within a few years.

Heavy headsets need to disappear too.

rofl.

The allure is obvious really, the ability to believe you are in another world and able to interact with it directly rather than looking in on it.
It doesnt work out quite this well with many games but there are enough to properly showcase it.
And the screen door effect coupled with low res doesnt help. Trailing wires too.

Once in the game I am too immersed in the game to notice any of it.
I hope it exposes more people to try it. Means more and faster advancement.

When the game developers did a great job you don't notice anything outside the world/environment they created. SDE, rayz, and Low-rez go away when immersed.
The trailing wires gets annoying fast when you have room-scale games.

I agree with Hagrid, we do need more people exposed to it, for advancement.

Once in the game I am too immersed in the game to notice any of it.
I hope it exposes more people to try it. Means more and faster advancement.
When the game developers did a great job you don't notice anything outside the world/environment they created. SDE, rayz, and Low-rez go away when immersed.
The trailing wires gets annoying fast when you have room-scale games.

I agree with Hagrid, we do need more people exposed to it, for advancement.
I love how you two said that more people are needed, "for advancement" hahah you guys sound like the borg

rofl.

The heavy headsets are actually extremely annoying, but the wires are the worst, I can't count the number of times that I've tripped over them or pulled them out of the PC, or stretched them, because I was messing around.

The above points are accurate including my .gif.. While putting the vive on for the first time to play a few games was pretty damn cool. Not enough for me to drop the 500+ for a set... My moment of "this is awesome" was when I was playing some sort of shooter like CS:GO VR. I actually went prone on my buddies floor and starting picking people off down a longer hall down a scope. I took out the first person and i saw there for a second and was like... Am i seriously playing a game, prone, sniping people and enjoying it? I play games to sit on a chair and do cool shit, Now im practically doing burpies once i realized the advantage I had laying down.

The above points are accurate including my .gif.. While putting the vive on for the first time to play a few games was pretty damn cool. Not enough for me to drop the 500+ for a set... My moment of "this is awesome" was when I was playing some sort of shooter like CS:GO VR. I actually went prone on my buddies floor and starting picking people off down a longer hall down a scope. I took out the first person and i saw there for a second and was like... Am i seriously playing a game, prone, sniping people and enjoying it? I play games to sit on a chair and do cool shit, Now im practically doing burpies once i realized the advantage I had laying down.
Onward?

Reactions: Dan
like this
No idea, he just put it on and said play. I know after like 30 min I was sweating and actually felt good. I always laughed when I saw those VR things where you run and crap. This gave me a decent work out and It was all voluntary

Beyond the 80's and 90's promise of VR being "the future" - I had really good experiences with the PSVR a couple years ago. Rush of Blood, London Heist, Eagle Flight, and the initial teaser demo for RE7 were intense.
In spite of the clunky headset and fairly low resolution, the games felt immersive. Sadly, not enough games are able to do that as I'm now learning.

I've run endurance racing in real life, and this past weekend ran the 24 hours of daytona in iracing with 4 other guys using VR. It was just like real life except without all of the hassle - ie spending thousands of dollars on consumables, thousands in entry fees, hundreds in lodging, having to refuel during pit stops, fixing the damn car yourself when it breaks or you have an accident, wearing a cool suit because it's 100 degrees in the car, being dehyrdated when said cool suit stops working 5 minutes into your stint etc. Plus instead of driving a 30 year old Porsche 944 with 160hp, we drove a brand new Ferrari 488 with 500hp. Shit, the only downside was the helmet head after wearing the headset for 5 straight hours - but you get that in real life anyway. The only thing that wasn't life like was lack of seat of the pants feel and lack of day/night transition (since iRacing hasn't implemented that yet). It was a little odd having 24 hours of night time, but that's the really cool part of the race anyway.

Beyond the 80's and 90's promise of VR being "the future" - I had really good experiences with the PSVR a couple years ago. Rush of Blood, London Heist, Eagle Flight, and the initial teaser demo for RE7 were intense.
In spite of the clunky headset and fairly low resolution, the games felt immersive. Sadly, not enough games are able to do that as I'm now learning.
You played VRChat yet? LOL.

No idea, he just put it on and said play. I know after like 30 min I was sweating and actually felt good. I always laughed when I saw those VR things where you run and crap. This gave me a decent work out and It was all voluntary
That actually sounds like a decent way to get a workout.

I let the wife and brother in law try the Rift this weekend, just did Oculus First Contact and some of The Lab.. a few music video type things too.. they were both blown away, funny cause they were both pretty skeptical at first. can't wait for the in-laws to try it, they seem to be super anti-vr for some reason, I think maybe their church is talking bad about it or something?? they're saying things like "what happens when your brain can't tell the difference between VR and reality?! SIN! SIN!" ;)

it does seem like people who have no idea how the tech actually works get the most out of it, I don't really get that "presence" feeling because I always know what i'm looking at isn't real.. don't get motion sick for same reason I guess though.

I let the wife and brother in law try the Rift this weekend, just did Oculus First Contact and some of The Lab.. a few music video type things too.. they were both blown away, funny cause they were both pretty skeptical at first. can't wait for the in-laws to try it, they seem to be super anti-vr for some reason, I think maybe their church is talking bad about it or something?? they're saying things like "what happens when your brain can't tell the difference between VR and reality?! SIN! SIN!" ;)

it does seem like people who have no idea how the tech actually works get the most out of it, I don't really get that "presence" feeling because I always know what i'm looking at isn't real.. don't get motion sick for same reason I guess though.
I cant wait to see people going to VR church after the stuff you said about the inlaws LOL

I cant wait to see people going to VR church after the stuff you said about the inlaws LOL

You joke, but I wouldn't put it past Joel Osteen to have something like this in the works already.

To the OP, it's all about immersion for me. This may sound odd, but the only other time I feel the same kind of immersion is while reading a good book. Other readers may understand what I mean. The experience in VR isn't perfect, not by a stretch, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of the potential other formats have for gaming.

I really can't wait for Manus, Haptx, or Hi5 to go to production. Losing the controllers will do wonders for the immersion factor.

You joke, but I wouldn't put it past Joel Osteen to have something like this in the works already.

To the OP, it's all about immersion for me. This may sound odd, but the only other time I feel the same kind of immersion is while reading a good book. Other readers may understand what I mean. The experience in VR isn't perfect, not by a stretch, but it is leaps and bounds ahead of the potential other formats have for gaming.

I really can't wait for Manus, Haptx, or Hi5 to go to production. Losing the controllers will do wonders for the immersion factor.
You’re making it sound like we aren’t far off from living in the matrix hahaha

I wonder what’ll come first: Joel Osteen’s Salvation Simulator 20XX, or an actually good VR shooting game...

LOL...and knowing Joel it will most likely be a subscription based game...gotta keep that money rolling in to pay for the mansion, yacht, and G7.

Long Time dragonball fan. Been using my friends Crunhcyroll premium account for awhile to watch it every weekend. Dude fell on hard times so i figured I can shell out the 5 a month cause i mootched so long for a bit. I ended up watching uhhh... shit.... That anime with the MMO and they get stuck in it and have to beat the game or die IRL. I could google but too lazy. The only thing I was thinking about was, oh my god how cool (minus the part that you cant log out or you die)

Imagine being a Main tank in WoW and just beating on onyxia's toe for 45 min straight.

in all seriousness I would absolutely play these kinds of games to the point of exhaustion or death. I'd need to be on an IV drip or some shit lol!

Googlefu: Sword Art Online.

Speaking of beating on Ony's toe, still one the fence to shell out for that new VR MMO. You literally have to have endurance for a long stints as everything you do is manual in the game, from physical attacks to spell casting.

Oh, Orbus, that's it.

Back