The All-New Razer Blade 15

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by StryderxX, May 22, 2018.

1. StryderxX

StryderxX Gawd

Have you guys checked out Razer's new Razer Blade 15? It looks like the perfect gaming laptop but the price is steep! It's sporting a new 15.6" display with minimal bezels (no G-Sync), the 6 core Intel i7 8750H processor, Nvidia 1070 MaxQ GPU, up to 32gb of memory and weighs about 4.5lbs.

Check out the links:

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3274652/laptop-computers/hands-on-razer-blade-gaming-laptop.html

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...lay-gaming-laptop-nvidia-max-q-redesign-intel

big_razer-blade-keyboard-trackpad.jpg.jpg

2. Absalom

Absalom Limp Gawd

About time. Finally filling in that screen size gap between the 14" and 17" models. Hopefully this doesn't inherit the atrocious mechanical key design of the current 17". Seriously, fuck those keys.

On the other hand, while a larger 15.6" screen is welcome, I'm a bit on the fence regarding the offered native resolutions. While 144 Hz is nice and all (G-Sync would have been icing on the cake here), 1080p is a bit on the low size for a 15.6" real estate. And 4k, while rediculously overkill on a 14", is still overkill on a 15.6" screen. A QHD option would have been perfect. I never ended up using the touchscreen feature on my old 14" because, you know, fingerprints.

Also, a 1070 is a 2 year old part. It's almost motive enough to wait a little bit longer for the next Blade 15" revision.

3. eallan

eallan [H]Lite

Looks absolutely awesome.

I've got an Aero 15x and an MSI GS65 in the house. I like the Aero quite a lot, i'm very disappointed in the GS65. Hopefully the Blade is the winner for me.

4. marshac

marshac [H]ard|Gawd

5. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

I'll have to say that I like everything about it except the lack of G-Sync.

It's very unfortunate that a method has not been found to implement VRR on external GPUs in laptops while also preserving power-saving functions, which I understand was the reasoning behind the lack of G-Sync here.

6. Mannymal

Mannymal Limp Gawd

Other manufacturers are offering laptops with the option to switch between Optimum and G-Sync. Razer has no excuse not to do it here. Laptops are where adaptive sync is needed the most. Shit, even Apple implements it on their iPad Pros.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  7. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

Well, I understand why they didn't implement G-Sync- so now we get to ask why they didn't implement the switching feature :)

8. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

Looks like a quite a few premium laptops are coming into this space. 6 core + 1070 maxq and a 1080p 144 hz LCD is a killer combo

9. Dan

Dan [H]ardness Supreme

IDK if i want the RB15 or the MSI or gigabyte laptops. You pay hella premium for razer but its such a nice laptop... I had a terrible experience with my RB14 2014 where my GPU started dying 15 months after purchase and razer told me to suck it with a 1000 bill. Apparently im not the only one with this problem.

10. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

I really like the new Gigabyte model

11. Mannymal

Mannymal Limp Gawd

I got the new Razer Blade 15 w/ 1070. Its badass. The only real complaint is the idiotic keyboard layout with the UP ARROW key to the let of the RIGHT SHIFT KEY. Other than that its everything I dreamed of in a potable gaming laptop. Elegant design (except for the embarrassing logo), a nice trackpad, GORGEOUS 144hz screen, and the performance to back all of it up. I've been playing Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus maxed out and I've never seen it go below 100FPS. Its a thing o beauty.

dvsman and StryderxX like this.
  12. marshac

marshac [H]ard|Gawd

I like Razer- reminds me of VGHS which I'll admit to enjoying lol

13. StryderxX

StryderxX Gawd

Pics and review would be great if you have the time! :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018 at 10:07 PM
    IdiotInCharge likes this.
  14. Mannymal

Mannymal Limp Gawd

Currently traveling but when I get some down time I’ll try to throw something together.

StryderxX likes this.
  15. hakstarr

hakstarr Limp Gawd

I heard people complaining about horrible backlight bleed and horrible customer support you experience any issues with this laptop? I was debating between that razor and the Gigabyte/msi

16. aznfury684

aznfury684 Limp Gawd

I'll be curious to hear your thoughts. For the most part the build + specs look great, but is it worth paying the premium for when the monitor is just 1080p (albeit 144 Hz)?

17. Mannymal

Mannymal Limp Gawd

There is some blacklight bleed coming from the bottom bezel. Its only visible on an entirely black screen, and even then its really not bad. If it was, I would exchange it, I dont have much tolerance for glaring QC defects. I can't speak for Razer support as I intentionally removed them from the equation - I purchased the laptop fro the Microsoft Store and also purchased their extended warranty. If I have any issues I only have to bring it to any Microsoft store and they will give me a store credit for the amount I paid for the laptop.

I was worried about the screen resolution, but as it turns out, its a beautiful screen and the resolution doesn't bother me. The 1080p at 15.6" panel on this laptop is actually a higher Pixels Per Inch (PPI) than the 1440p 27" monitor I use at home. The 1080p resolution is also the sweet spot for the Geforce 1070 Max-Q at higher refresh rates. The display is gorgeous and I can never, NEVER go back to 60hz on a gaming computer.

Build quality, fit, and finish look and feel to be on par to that of my 2013 rMBP. Only my Surface Book 2 exceeds it. This feels like premium hardware. The trackpad is great, no complaints. I hated the one on the Blade 14.
    The only glaring design flaw I can point out is the non standard keyboard layout - the UP ARROW key being to the left of the RIGHT SHIFT is a pain in the ass when you want to capitalize or when you wanna use a question mark, as there is now a key in between SHIFT and ?. As far as aesthetic design the only thing that feels off to me is the embarrassing Razer logo, which I will soon cover with a skin or sticker. Sadly, the Razer Synapse 3.0 software is not as polished as the hardware, its slow and feels bloated. Its in beta, so I hope it will improve. Otherwise the laptop came free of any software other than whats default to Windows 10.

I have been getting excellent performance. My Firestrike graphics score is only 2,000 points below that of a full fat desktop Geforce 1070. Every game I have thrown at it runs well above 60fps. Cinebench multicore score is around 1,200 after 5 consecutive runs. This thing is more powerful than the desktop rig I had three years ago, and that was high end. We have come a long way.

Thermals are a challenge, but I would say it does well all things considered. Remember, this is a 6 core i7 processor and a downclocked 1070, physics will only allow such a small cooling system to deal with the amount of wattage. During normal gaming the CPU seems to hover between 70c to the mid 80c's, and GPU around 75c. PUBG pushes it harder than all other games, HWInfo has logged CPU thermal throttling during PUBG with the CPU approaching 100c. The game runs great with a few quality tweaks to keep the framerate over 80fps and I can't feel any hiccups if thermal throttling is occuring, although I worry about the long term health of the laptop when the temperatures get so hot. I may remove the cooling system and re-paste it, but I suspect that the people who report great success with re-pasting are greatly exaggerating as they never provide any good before and after data. Enthusiasts have always been susceptible to placebo. I may do it just so I can explore the construction of the laptop and if I can reduce the temperature around 5 degrees, I'll be happy. I think Razer did a great job with the new cooler, we are talking over 150 watt of heat dissipation inside a thin and elegant laptop.

I would say this is the gaming laptop that I have been waiting for years. Its still not perfect. I think the design will truly reach its potential once Intel and NVIDIA release their next more efficient designs or process shrinks. But at this moment with the technology we have right now, this laptop is fantastic and worth buying. I could not say the same for the Blade 14, but Razer has finally nailed it with the 15

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018 at 8:09 PM
    IdiotInCharge and aznfury684 like this.