The air gap means nothing, Keylogging with CPU electromagnetism

It requires the attacker to install software on the target computer.

Also, these types of threats are not new, there is a large threat model built around side channel exfiltration, TEMPEST being the most commonly known one, however other models have included using PC speakers to generate high frequency sound to cross an air gap

what about the one where they can see what's on your monitor by plugging into the same outlet as it?

New variation on an old technique. Back in the CRT days, there were many articles about how easy it was to pickup the CRT image from a distance, think across the street. If you think about it, a basic "computer" is a networked collection of smaller special purpose computers sending signals to each other. Things like keyboards, monitors, GPU cards, CPUs, HD/SSDs, etc are really computers in their own right. If you have a sensitive enough receiver and enough processing power, you can spy on these computers as they talk to each other.

From a realistic standpoint, for most of us, we have far more risk from the normal corporate sponsored spy network that monitors all of us* then we do from air gap monitoring.

*(aka, relevant ad delivery systems.)

lol, no way, for real?

yeap, i had to look it back up to see what the name was... devman got it in the previous post...

TEMPEST

http://climateviewer.com/2014/01/18...-computer-cellphone-screen-using-radio-waves/

i found it super interesting when i heard that the NSA doesn't have just your typical electrical connections from the power company...

they have their power come in to a giant motor that powers a giant generator... thereby isolating the office electricity via the driveshafts on the motor/generator...

that just goes to show you what they can do with a few oscilloscopes and some time on their hands....

Back