The Air Force Wants to Deliver Cargo With Commercial Rockets

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
The Air Force already uses the private sector to throw satellites into orbit, and of course, they already have rockets for delivering warheads across the globe. But a report by Popular Mechanics suggests that the Air Force wants to use commercial rockets for a more mundane purpose: very fast cargo delivery. As launch prices keep going down and down, delivering cargo to any point on Earth in 30 minutes has apparently become a viable proposition for the U.S Military, even if they're still mulling it over.

Last week, at a military conference outside Dallas, Air Force officials confirmed that the service has met with private space companies to discuss the possibility. "They have talked about moving cargo in space, and we’ve sat down with SpaceX and had that discussion," Gen. Maryanne Miller, the commander of Air Force Material Command, told reporters. Apparently sensing the joy she'd stirred in our hearts, she immediately added, "but it's really just discussion at this point." She also pointed out that the Pentagon hasn't yet put any money on the table. "We won't commit any resources," she said. "But we've committed to work with them to see how quickly they progress." With Blue Origin and Virgin Orbital also discussing the militarization of their suborbital launch hardware, the possibility of this idea making it to reality is legitimate. And that's exciting. Virgin head Richard Branson even made an appearance at the conference.

So now I have to worry about rockets carrying extra socks over my .....

Yeesh.

Nothing could possibly go wrong.

*Hawaii air raid sirens start to blare

Wow!!! ... Good thing - there's a corn field less than a block away from my house.

It could be interesting.
A lot of the good old Science Fiction writers had assumed we would have semi ballistic transport services by now, so this would kind of be the first step on that.
First you get cargo delivered, then once you figure out all the details, you could do passengers eventually.

Domino's- Now with Rocket delivery where we guarantee we'll deliver your pizza in 3 minutes or less.....:cautious:

Last edited:
How much does a space-x commercial satellite launch cost?
How many months/years in advance does it have to planned?
How frequently are launches cancelled because of weather or other environmental issues?
How frequently are launches cancelled because of mechanical / technical issues?

etc etc etc

So as far as technology goes, this is interesting. But from a cost standpoint... this is a non-starter.

How frequently are launches cancelled because of weather or other environmental issues?

etc etc etc

So as far as technology goes, this is interesting. But from a cost standpoint... this is a non-starter.

The more I think about a best case scenario, the more expensive it gets. e.g. Cargo for various emergencies prepared in pre-packed and pre-balanced toroidal configurations with a quick ejection system, ready to be crane loaded and launched from several locations to hedge against the weather variable, and at least one rocket cycling through standby at each location. I suppose that cost would be similar to the upkeep of missile silos. I don't know what that cost would be, but I suspect it would smooth out a single launch cost over a much longer time in maintenance alone.

Delivery to any concrete slab in the world within one hour versus any landing strip in ten + local transit. I would have to see an analysis of recent history where such a service could have been useful, but the feasibility study might be a hard pitch.

Domino's- Now with Rocket delivery we're we guarantee we'll deliver your pizza in 3 minutes or less.....:cautious:

Just means that your roof will have some Christmas/Halloween "decorations" on it whenever you order delivery. If you're lucky, on you, as you open the door. :D

Domino's- Now with Rocket delivery where we guarantee we'll deliver your pizza in 3 minutes or less.....:cautious:
A wise man said, "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
– Michelangelo

I"m waiting for the first malfunctioning rocket to land in a population center, chances are only going to increase

etc etc etc

lets just say.. for sake of argument, that they have a ready stockpile of missiles on hand.. ready to go at a moments notice...

what sort of mission would require such an expensive.. immediate shipping need.. hmm.. sounds like a covert ops type mission

only one HUGE problem with at, ALL launches are tracked world wide by a number of countries, so the minute you launch, they can then track your UPS shipment LOL

The Navy beat them to it.

Missile Mail.jpg

I"m waiting for the first malfunctioning rocket to land in a population center, chances are only going to increase

Hopefully, it just lands on you while you sleep and we avoid a time loop scenario.

Well, we all get Hudson's express elevator to hell after all!

Back