The Air Force Goes OCP

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Air Force has announced that it now will be wearing the Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage Pattern, OCP for short, while in Afghanistan. Thanks to [H] reader Nate Fredrickson for the link.

“The OCP uniform is scientifically developed to blend in with Afghanistan’s terrain, which will make our airmen safer and more effective on the battlefield,” she said. “The new material is also flame resistant and lighter weight” than the Air Force’s cammies.

It's about time.

To be frank the Air Force should make a permanent policy to go ahead and adopt whatever tactical uniform the Army wears.

Same thing with the Navy in wearing the Marine Corps uniform.

It's about time.

To be frank the Air Force should make a permanent policy to go ahead and adopt whatever tactical uniform the Army wears.

Same thing with the Navy in wearing the Marine Corps uniform.

Yep, Marines were first to adopt digicam. MARPAT to us. Might as well fly all 5 flags in the same jungle/desert jammies. :)

As usual it wil take about 2 years before many even get them when they are heading to Afghanistan. I remember those of us in AFSOC getting the ABU's first for deployments but we still wore the DCU's over there if we had them. I really dont care since I will be transitioning to a flight suit here in a few months. Goodbye aircraft maintenance, hello Aircrew Ops. 25E5V is correct as well. We (USAF) spend too much time on uniform changes IMHO.

I was amazed that that "pixelated" pattern of camouflage is actually better than the older camo which was curves and stuff

I was amazed that that "pixelated" pattern of camouflage is actually better than the older camo which was curves and stuff

Its harder to see the pixelated pattern then the older camo, expecially at night, you become almost invisible.

Seriously? I'm in the ANG, and we still have people wearing BDUs... since they haven't hit the drop dead date yet. I guess I'm more pissed that it's just a reflection of the USAF Uniform Board indecision in adopting a consistent uniform. Black boots? Nah... Sage Green... wait... those suck and get dirty.... OK, black boots (as long as your Commander approves, but you have to change out of them one you leave your work area).

Oh yeah... I love that the ABUs are wash and wear, but that still doesn't stop them from fading like an old pair of stone washed jeans.... or from having some jackhole decide that the chevrons don't look good on the permanent crease and relocating them more forward on the sleeve...

*sigh*

I guess it took a while for the ACUs to get to the point they are now.

-P

We hated the ACU pattern in Iraq... you stuck out like a sore fucking thumb until you got dirty...

Multicam is probably one of the better camo patterns for multi-enviroment use that exists today. In the scrubs of Arizona that what we all wear when we are out in the bonnies whacking tonks and meth-heads.

The Marine Corps has had it right all along with the MarPat desert digital and the woodland digital. Damn shame the fucking big army has their procurment branch with their heads so far up their ass.

Yep, Marines were first to adopt digicam. MARPAT to us. Might as well fly all 5 flags in the same jungle/desert jammies. :)

Canada invented digicam, Marpat has been proven to be a clone of the same pattern with colors rearranged.

Crye Precision created the multicam pattern that is the basis of OCP. The UK also licenses multicam for their own variant. Some Russian units also use multicam.

This is all hilarious because of the big fuss made 10 years ago about the adoption of ACU for the Army which was just really hard hit with criticism for many years until they finally relented to licensing multicam to create the OCP.

Crye is not actually manufacturing these however as they will be contracted out to other companies.

Imagine that? Americans, Russians, and British all wearing the same pattern? Crye is making a ton of money off this finally when nobody would adopt it back then because of cost.

Its harder to see the pixelated pattern then the older camo, expecially at night, you become almost invisible.

Don't forget with pixelation and at a distance the pixelation will perform a type of eye trick "similar" to 3D movies, where they will adopt shapes and colors to what ever is around you. Think about using adobe photo shop to blur out an object instead of removing it so you don't have to crop and re-create the spot of the image.

I'm with the crowd of "Lets create one damn camo and give it to all branches." I'm sick of how easily the ABU's fade, I already went through 3 sets, THREE SETS! and my job isn't in the sun either!

This is one of the most famous photos that went around to show quite possibly the one situation in which ACU would work.

In any other place, it just made you stick out as a target for bullets.

acucouch.jpg

The contractors the AF selected to manufacture ABUs have such poor quality control that the pants and shirts (blouses) rarely match. Sometimes it's subtle, and sometimes you see a guy walking around and it's just... WTF...

Hopefully we do not see a repeat with the multicam.

I read the title and was hoping that they'd resurrected a human body and put it into a robot.
images

Back