The Age Of The iPod Is Over

this bugs me a lot. How can a 12 years old afford a phone of that quality , or even his parents? hell i have an iphone 5 , and if it wasnt supplied by my jobs , i wouldnt have one.

They have better jobs than you? I'm kind of confused by that statement, you have to realize that if you go to one of the better schools in better areas, people will have more money to spend on themselves. You probably won't find tons of expensive smartphones in the slums.

i listen to my ipod nano every week (16gb).i would like one of the new ones.if they would just up it to 32gb
:mad: i also have an iphone 4s 16gb

have one in my car, use it every day, i pull in my garage and it syncs with my itunes on the macbook when it hits wifi range so music is updated automatically, never have to take it out of the car of the spot Hyundai put in the genesis to store it. i certainly don't buy them every year, and since all they need to do is play music i cant see why they would sell as many, most who want one already have one

My two 2007-era Shuffles get plenty of use. One for my daughter that hooks up to her stereo (she likes to listen to music while falling asleep), one for me while I'm out chopping wood/doing chores. Sure I could bring my iPhone 5 out there, but if it's just music I want why risk damaging it?

Note that I haven't bought any more players for 7 years. So while they have their use, the market is flooded with legacy devices, and if you're buying new you're getting a phone or tablet. Pretty stinkin' simple.

I would personally rather use an MP3 player if I wanted to do so, simply because 1) you have dedicated storage for the music and 2) you have a separate battery so you don't drain your phone battery.

I just don't have much use for an MP3 player these days.

I would personally rather use an MP3 player if I wanted to do so, simply because 1) you have dedicated storage for the music and 2) you have a separate battery so you don't drain your phone battery.

I just don't have much use for an MP3 player these days.

This is why I still use my Zune HDs. Multiple day battery life, smaller, lighter, better sound, etc. One I keep in my bag for every day listening, and then I have one plugged into a set of speakers with a dock at work. THe built in radio doesn't hurt either.

All make it better than my phone(s).

I think that if Apple is trying to ween people from dedicated devices to push full featured smart phones then they are making a mistake. Dedicated devices are used today by people as an "adjunct" or addition to their arsenal, not an alternative. They are sentimental equipment, not redundant.

Also, I would by a new one, but the old one is just fine, stays in my car though. Im just waiting for 128 Gb capacity. Photos and Videos take up a shit ton of space, and my 40+ Gb of music alone would greatly limit the phone's ability to install important apps or run out of space at that moment your using your phone for video and such. Almost can't live without apps anymore, like banking and public works and such...

In all fairness, for the audio nuts out there - it would be nice if the iPod could increase its storage capacity to like 250 or 500 GB. How long has it sat at 160 GB now? Seven years?

Ipod in the car, one in my pocket and a shuffle for exercise. Battery life on phones is bad enough not to mention the crappy software to make it work. I don't like Apple in general but there is still nothing I've seen that works as well.

It is? Why doesn't anyone tell me these things?

Sorry Nano ol' buddy, the internet says I shouldn't be using you anymore... :( *sniff* *sniff*

I've never had an iPod, thankfully. Apple proprietary horseshit ftl.

I use Amazon MP3 service to stream and d/l to either my phone or a usb flash drive since my car came with a port.

I still use my 120GB model everyday.

I guess that makes me a square?

I use my creative zen while on runs because it also has shit like radio. I'm not running with a smart phone way to fucking big and expensive if it gets dropped or hit by something. I used to use it to play songs in my car as well but then i got a new car that accepts a jump drive.

Android phone + cheap 32GB memory cards + non-reliance on buggy and proprietary iTunes = more than sufficient.

Audiophiles may want a little more, but this setup suffices for most people out there.

My wife and I both use iPod Nanos. Hers is a 7th gen (current) to replace her lost 6th gen, mine is still 6th gen (the square one). This device is perfect and irreplaceable for the gym, outdoor running, and a few other usage scenarios. The 6th gen nano is the only Apple product I've ever purchased, and I would again because nothing on the market is even close to the form factor.

The very moment someone else offers a small, lightweight DAP with half decent playback that I can take on my runs, I'll buy one.

I use one every day but never see it. It stays in my glove compartment unless I need to update it.

They have better jobs than you? I'm kind of confused by that statement, you have to realize that if you go to one of the better schools in better areas, people will have more money to spend on themselves. You probably won't find tons of expensive smartphones in the slums.
Actually, I work near a crappy part of town, and here in CA it's not uncommon to see someone on the newest iPhone or S3/4 using their food stamp EBT cards for soda and candy at the 7-11 or AM/PM near my office...

Not everyone has a smart phone, and those nanos are more useful for exercise tunes than a an iPhone or Android device slapped to your arm.
Okay, but I've had music on my phone since well before I got a smartphone - my old LG flip phone had a miniSD slot and great speakers for a phone, but no Internet...

I use my creative zen while on runs because it also has shit like radio. I'm not running with a smart phone way to fucking big and expensive if it gets dropped or hit by something. I used to use it to play songs in my car as well but then i got a new car that accepts a jump drive.
I love my old 30GB Creative Zen Vision! I thought I was the last person on Earth with one, lol...

I'm not surprised. Having a dedicated MP3 player is sort of redundant these days (and has been for the past few years honestly).

I own a Fiio X3 which plays 196k/24bit FLAC files and has a 24bit DAC + preamp built in for my nice headphones. People always ask me why I'm not using my phone and then I play some high-resolution album on my $500 headphones - they respond, 'oh...'

i love my ipod, only apple product i own, an old 4G mini, still going good, i dont want to have to charge my phone twice a day just to play music,i get about 10hours out of my ipod, and 4 days on my phone since i rooted it :D

jack of all trades, masters of none is what phone are becoming.

Standalone mp3 players were destined to become the biggest casualty in the rise of smart phones and tablets.

Standalone mp3 players were destined to become the biggest casualty in the rise of smart phones and tablets.

I think standalone GPS units that aren't built into cars are suffering equally ... the small camera market has been pretty savaged as well ... those Smart phones are like Army Ants ... they just carve a swath of destruction behind them :)

I think standalone GPS units that aren't built into cars are suffering equally ... the small camera market has been pretty savaged as well ... those Smart phones are like Army Ants ... they just carve a swath of destruction behind them :)

Good point, I should have said all dedicated hand held computing devices.

I still use dedicated devices. One for music, one for web/phone calls, and one for gaming. I don't think battery life technology is there yet for all in one devices. I'd rather use the battery for more important features that I rely on than waste it on playing a game.

this bugs me a lot. How can a 12 years old afford a phone of that quality , or even his parents? hell i have an iphone 5 , and if it wasnt supplied by my jobs , i wouldnt have one.

because people spend there money on this kind of shit over other things that are more important. Wife sees this everyday as a school teacher. deadbeat family rolls up in a brand new BMW 5 series, all having iphones and ipads and what not, yet the kid has no coat, ratted shoes and gets the free/reduced lunch.

I've never had an iPod, thankfully. Apple proprietary horseshit ftl.

I use Amazon MP3 service to stream and d/l to either my phone or a usb flash drive since my car came with a port.

You can play MP3 files on an iPod. You aren't locked to using files from iTunes.

I also still have an old 30gb Dell Juke 2 in my garage to play music on. Only problem is I have to use an XP VM to add/delete music.

They use their money for toys and get government assistance (from your tax dollars) to cover their needs.

I did my grocery shopping for the week on Sunday and watched some fucker in front of me buy tri-tip steak, etc. with his EBT..... and then use cash to buy beer. Shit, I work and can just afford fucking chicken and ground beef, forget about beer or tri-tip steak... meanwhile the govt. takes my money and gives it to shitbags like that guy who gets so much of it he can blow it on shit I wish I could afford. Shit, he should be eating chicken, I should be the one eating steak... damit - I'm the one that's paying for both of our grocery bills.

I did my grocery shopping for the week on Sunday and watched some fucker in front of me buy tri-tip steak, etc. with his EBT..... and then use cash to buy beer. Shit, I work and can just afford fucking chicken and ground beef, forget about beer or tri-tip steak... meanwhile the govt. takes my money and gives it to shitbags like that guy who gets so much of it he can blow it on shit I wish I could afford. Shit, he should be eating chicken, I should be the one eating steak... damit - I'm the one that's paying for both of our grocery bills.

And there you have it. Wouldn't it be nice if we government would just post some roving EBT police and when they saw this stuff, just cut that card up as well as cut off his status as a leach.

Why is it a big deal? It's not really that expensive when you think about it. Only $200 with a contract. Most kids these days would have a cell phone anyway, furthermore - an iPhone can double up as a gaming device. It's actually a great value.

I still use my 80GB unit with the actual hard drive in it.

My cell phone makes phone calls way better than a smart phone ever will. I'm a builder who spends most of my time building log homes in the middle of nowhere, for me a smart phone that has a signal range that reaches ten feet from each tower is completely useless.
Smartphone or dumbphone, if you have an interest in improving your signal strength you might want to get one of these: www.dots911.com.

FWIW, the Galaxy 4s has been free on a regular basis for months.
That said, I agree with the sentiment. My kid's not getting a smartphone on my dime until he's going to college. There's no need for it before then. Not in high school and certainly not before. Kids are careless and I'm not putting several hundred dollars of tech in his hands, just to have it flushed.
Now, he might impress me, and I might move that back if necessary (he is only 11mo old), but as of right now, I see no reason for it.

Still use my iRiver IHP-120 daily. Nothing comes close nowadays to the audio quality it has.

I guess I'm old school.

Nah, this is Canada, your smart phone is just an overpriced MP3 player as soon as you're out of the major centres and off the major corridors.

Fair enough, I can't speak for canadian network coverage..other than it somehow overrides my phone network anytime I am near the seaway. :mad:

You can play MP3 files on an iPod. You aren't locked to using files from iTunes.

I'm fully aware of that. But since I don't use shitty iTunes, I don't need an expensive shitty iPod. I can get away with a cheap (and huge capacity) usb flash drive for my car or MicroSDHC for my phone. :D

Back