The absolute best air cooling?

J-M-E

[H]ard|Gawd
Well when I switch out this AMD board and mobo, my liquid cooling system is going with it. I really see no point in watercooling anymore. Temps are about the same as high end air cooling, but its so much more of a hassle and i just dont feel like dealing with it.

With that said, what is THE BEST heatsink for a conroe out right now? If money was no object.

Im thinking either:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835702002

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835185027

At the moment, Infinity and SI128. Who knows about the future.

Thermalright Ultra-120. Love it. I've used the Ultra-120 and the XP-120.

If your case is big enough get the Ultra. Hands down. Love it.

scythe ninja and the thermalright ultra-120 are the best out right now.. the ultra being a tiny bit better

The Ultra-120 usually performs better, but it requires a very High CFM Fan, compared to the infinity that can get by with a slower fan.

Arcygenical said:
The Ultra-120 usually performs better, but it requires a very High CFM Fan, compared to the infinity that can get by with a slower fan.

not exactly :-P if you check the review on SPCR, they do it with only a slightly faster fan, and get excellent cooling (better than the infinity) while being relatively quiet

Currently, the Scythe Infinity is the best heatsink out there. The Thermalright SI-128 is slightly worse, but only by a degree or two. Everything else is a small step down, aside from the Amanda/Monsoon TEC coolers, though I wouldn't really consider that to be air.

Scythe Infinity, Tuniq Tower 120 and Thermalright Ultra 120 are the best available right now.

I would go with the lightest of the 3........

The amanda and the $149 cooler linked above are in a different cattegory with their TEC technology (which some say is actually dangerous)

So we have:

Scythe Ninja
Scythe Infinity
Thermalright Ultra-120
Tuniq tower 120

I miss any?

Ultra. I use a low CFM fan on mine and max my 3 GHz Smithfield at 45*C folding for days.

The Infinity is the best, followed by the SI-128. The Ultra-120 is good, but the SI-128 is better and cools the mobo components as well.

according to some reviews I just googled on that asetek unit it doesn't look much better than the TT Big Typhoon...practically identical performance actually.

Tuniq Tower is still the best air cooler made...it's just impossible to get.

so what's the difference between the Thermalright XP-120 and the SI-128??
a while back I was thinking of getting something to replace my XP-90's with (1 in my machine, 1 in the htpc) and this thread brought that crazy idea back :p

I see a lot of people claim that the si-128 is one of the best...so what makes it better than the XP-120? The xp-120 looks like it may cool better with the extra heatpipe and larger fins. the si-128 looks like it has more fins, although smaller, and 1 less heatpipe.

The SI-128 is an improved version of the SI-120, which is an improved version of the XP-120. The fact that it has more fins means it can get rid of heat faster, which makes it perform better.

Zero82z said:
The SI-128 is an improved version of the SI-120, which is an improved version of the XP-120. The fact that it has more fins means it can get rid of heat faster, which makes it perform better.

The SI-128 is a LARGER version of the SI-120, not an improved version. That's like saying a 120mm fan is an improved version of a 80mm fan.

The SI-120 is not an improved version of the XP-120. I believe the XP-120 actually cools better. The SI is intended to address some of the compatibility issues with the XP (RAM clearance, resistor clearance, Northbridge heatsink clearance, etc). Check the motherboard compatibility lists on Thermalright's website.

so which heatsink would give me the best cooling period on my x2. 939? an infinty? help. I have an xp 120 and just need a few more degrees of cooling.

eternaljammer said:
so which heatsink would give me the best cooling period on my x2. 939? an infinty? help. I have an xp 120 and just need a few more degrees of cooling.
I wouldn't bother haha.

I just installed the Scythe Infinity on a 3800x2 (2.72x10) running on a DFI SLI-DR Expert MB in an armor case. I ran Prime for 14 hours and my temps peaked at 48c. I am iding at 36c right now. The fan on the Infinity isn't at all noticeable. I have ordered a high CFM fan ,but at this point I really can't see any benrfit other than piece of mind. My 3800x2 is at 1.45v.

I know everyone has their preferences, but I though I should post some numbers, just check HERE (lower the C/W the better.)

Its either going to be the Ultra-120 or the Scythe Infinity

I cant find the tuniq tower 120 in stock anywhere or id get that

I personnaly attest that the scthye ninja works great even if I don't put a fan on it.

Its also slices, dices, and juliennes. Literally. On my knuckles.

I can only attest to my experience, and that is with the zalman 9500, I'm running an A64 3000 @ 2.56ghz 1.525V .125V over stock and I load at 40C.

aburgard said:
The SI-128 is a LARGER version of the SI-120, not an improved version. That's like saying a 120mm fan is an improved version of a 80mm fan.

The SI-120 is not an improved version of the XP-120. I believe the XP-120 actually cools better. The SI is intended to address some of the compatibility issues with the XP (RAM clearance, resistor clearance, Northbridge heatsink clearance, etc). Check the motherboard compatibility lists on Thermalright's website.
The SI-120 actually has been shown to perform better in closed-case setups(I'm not just pimping my heatsink, I've actually seen reviews that have gotten these results). Take this review for example, the SI-120 beat the XP-120 by 5C while overclocked.

aburgard said:

Your analogy is seriously flawed. It is an improved version. More fins for more heat transfer area. It is based on the same fundamental design, but altered to make it even more efficient and powerful. Your 120mm and 80mm analogy is completely off mark.

Like a Mercedes S300 compared to a previous generation of S300. The exterior is different and so is the internal, in terms of performance, aerodynamics and aesthetic. It's an improved version. You're comparing apples to oranges, not apples with apples.

And from the website provided from the previous poster, the SI-120 does indeed perform better, but the SI-120 was mainly released to address clearance issues with various motherboards.

Warmest regards.

Uhm, water in my experiance completely ass rapes air in all regards, but if you want a nice air sink, the scythe infinity is one of the best.

lol. So, which is better Scythe Ninja, Ultra 120 or the Zalman 9500?
Please help. Noise is not an issue.

Back