the Abit IN9 32X-MAX thread

Anyone know how to adjust the fan speed using the 9700NT or 9700LED Zalman.
It always seems to run at 1200. I would like to run it at a lower speed.
Right now I have the 9700NT hooked to the 4 pin CPU fan connector.

Anyone know how to adjust the fan speed using the 9700NT or 9700LED Zalman.
It always seems to run at 1200. I would like to run it at a lower speed.
Right now I have the 9700NT hooked to the 4 pin CPU fan connector.

In the uGuru fan control section. I've got mine set to run at 30% most of the time, and at 85% when my CPU hits 50c. I almost never hear it.

In the uGuru fan control section. I've got mine set to run at 30% most of the time, and at 85% when my CPU hits 50c. I almost never hear it.

I have been trying to get it down with the uGuru settings but Im lost.

Exactly what settings did you use to get it at a lower speed and then ramp up at loads?

Im really confused.

I have been trying to get it down with the uGuru settings but Im lost.

Exactly what settings did you use to get it at a lower speed and then ramp up at loads?

Im really confused.

Are you in the Windows uGuru or the BIOS? The Windows uGuru is way better for fan and LED management. Easier anyways. Can save different profiles, too. I recommend you set fan settings from there.

Set the high temp to 50c for the CPU fan. Then set the fan speed to 80%
for the low put in 20 or 30c or something like that, with a speed of 30%. Should solve the problem. Let me know if you need a screenshot.

Are you in the Windows uGuru or the BIOS? The Windows uGuru is way better for fan and LED management. Easier anyways. Can save different profiles, too. I recommend you set fan settings from there.

Set the high temp to 50c for the CPU fan. Then set the fan speed to 80%
for the low put in 20 or 30c or something like that, with a speed of 30%. Should solve the problem. Let me know if you need a screenshot.

So with these settings is the fan running below 1200rpm? I dont remember being able to set percentages for the fan?

So with these settings is the fan running below 1200rpm? I dont remember being able to set percentages for the fan?

Yeah. Mine runs around 800-900 when the processor's cool. Stays well under 50c most of the time.

Yeah. Mine runs around 800-900 when the processor's cool. Stays well under 50c most of the time.

I have tried everything but cant get it lower than 1200. I used the same settings you gave me. I must be missing something.

I have tried everything but cant get it lower than 1200. I used the same settings you gave me. I must be missing something.

Doesn't spin up to like 3000 rpm?? At 1200 it should be oh so quiet. Mine can spin up to 1200-1300 without being heard.

YEAH. I just looked it up! 1250rpm is the SLOWEST it will spin, and it's called silent mode. You've got it set just right. It will spin that speed at 30%. The maximum is 2800 rpm. You should hardly hear a thing. Are you sure the zalman is making the noise?? If so, you need it replaced. Probably still under warranty.

Doesn't spin up to like 3000 rpm?? At 1200 it should be oh so quiet. Mine can spin up to 1200-1300 without being heard.

YEAH. I just looked it up! 1250rpm is the SLOWEST it will spin, and it's called silent mode. You've got it set just right. It will spin that speed at 30%. The maximum is 2800 rpm. You should hardly hear a thing. Are you sure the zalman is making the noise?? If so, you need it replaced. Probably still under warranty.

Well I had hoped for alittle better control. I have the computer (antec900) at desk level so the fans can be heard more I guess. Yes it is at around 1200 idle and then ramps up when playing games etc as temp goes up especially when overclocking the q6600.

I even tried hooking up the 9700LED version with the manual fan control and it was the same. I guess I will stick with the 9700NT and deal with it.

Well I had hoped for alittle better control. I have the computer (antec900) at desk level so the fans can be heard more I guess. Yes it is at around 1200 idle and then ramps up when playing games etc as temp goes up especially when overclocking the q6600.

I even tried hooking up the 9700LED version with the manual fan control and it was the same. I guess I will stick with the 9700NT and deal with it.

I don't understand. You maybe have really really sensitive ears? It should be really quiet. 1200 rpm is really slow on a 92mm fan. Should hardly be heard. Maybe the faint sound of moving air, but not fan noise. That's so strange that it would be annoying at all.

I haven't had any problems with the new "official" BIOS, but I haven't noticed any gains either. All my old profiles seem to load just fine, and everything is stable. Maybe someone can help me with my dilemma, however:

I'm running at 3.33GHz stable overclock at like 1.39v to the CPU. I also have the SB up two notches, and the NB up one notch. All other voltages are the same. I did the heatpipe mod and my temps are really good now. My processor stays well under 60c, even at full load! And that's with CPU-Z, which is usually pretty accurate. I want to push it a little harder though. I've got my memory stable at 1000MHz at 1.95v with 5-5-5-15 timings - memtest clean from errors.

If I raise voltages on anything it seems to make the system unstable, even if I don't change FSB or multi, or whatever. I'd like to be able to push my processor a little bit further, just for benchmarking. I'm happy with the 3.33 for my 24/7, but I wanna see the max my rig can do. I feel like I'm not getting something right.

What specific voltages are you guys setting in order to push your quads higher on this board? When I climb up with FSB it reboots when vista loads, even if I raise voltages on things. When I raise voltages without raising speeds, it still becomes less stable and reboots on windows load.

What do you recommend for:
CPU voltage:
CPU VTT:
Hypertransport:
NB:
SB:
??

Any help is greatly appreciated. Unlinking memory didn't seem to help. Setting memory to stock settings or lowering the linking ratio didn't seem to affect anything either. I'm fairly certain it's not my memory.

Still have not heard of many good results with the wolfdale CPUs. I am most interested in the new E8400. Dual core have overclocked better especially on the 680i chipset. I have an E6850 at 3.7. I was wondering if I do better with a E8400 or at least as good given they are both 1333 at 3.0.

Thanks for any feedback.

Still have not heard of many good results with the wolfdale CPUs. I am most interested in the new E8400. Dual core have overclocked better especially on the 680i chipset. I have an E6850 at 3.7. I was wondering if I do better with a E8400 or at least as good given they are both 1333 at 3.0.

Thanks for any feedback.

What's the highest multiplier on both the E8400 and the E6850?

Well due to being unable to sell my board, and it sitting and collecting dust for almost 9 months, I have decided to revisit it.

I have ordered replacements for the entire heatpipe cooling solution. I want to see what it can do with the new bios and proper VRM and chipset cooling.

Well due to being unable to sell my board, and it sitting and collecting dust for almost 9 months, I have decided to revisit it.

I have ordered replacements for the entire heatpipe cooling solution. I want to see what it can do with the new bios and proper VRM and chipset cooling.

Please post some pics and info on the cooling solution you use and your results.
I'll be very interested to see how your solution stacks up against the stock.

Ordered an HR-09 S TYPE3 for the mosfets

HR-05 IFX for the Northbridge
HR-05 IFX SLI for the Southbridge.

Going to be running my E6600 that can do around 3.6 on this board.

Ordered an HR-09 S TYPE3 for the mosfets

HR-05 IFX for the Northbridge
HR-05 IFX SLI for the Southbridge.

Going to be running my E6600 that can do around 3.6 on this board.

You shouldn't have any trouble overclocking that processor to 3.6GHz. Have you done the simple heat pipe mod on it? You might try that just for fun. Let me know if you need instructions on how. It dropped temps a ton for me and allowed me to hit 3.33GHz with my quad core, which is above average for most users with this board and quad cores. It took like 10 min and some arctic silver. Dual cores should be even less of a problem.

Well with one of the beta 12 bioses I was able to get 3.58 or so with very high volts. IIRC this peticular board has a very large vdroop fully loaded. Main issue holding me back with the E6600 was the excessive NB SB and VRM temps. Quads were a completly different story. 299 FSB was the max it would do with my Q6600. 300 would hardlock the system regardless of settings.

I have done all the mods to the stock heatpipes, but concluded in the end it was just a crappy system to begin with.

I really like the system on DFI's P35 board Ive never had any temp issues with it at all.

Hopefully I can get it running with a decent overclock, and probally just dedicate it to 24/7 folding for the [H]orde.

Well with one of the beta 12 bioses I was able to get 3.58 or so with very high volts. IIRC this peticular board has a very large vdroop fully loaded. Main issue holding me back with the E6600 was the excessive NB SB and VRM temps. Quads were a completly different story. 299 FSB was the max it would do with my Q6600. 300 would hardlock the system regardless of settings.

I have done all the mods to the stock heatpipes, but concluded in the end it was just a crappy system to begin with.

I really like the system on DFI's P35 board Ive never had any temp issues with it at all.

Hopefully I can get it running with a decent overclock, and probally just dedicate it to 24/7 folding for the [H]orde.

That's a bummer. I've been able to do 333 just fine with mine. With the 10x multi available on the Q6700 that's good for 3.33GHz. I'm going to sell my abit board to a friend though. It will be a good board for him. I'm buying a used second revision EVGA 680i board from a friend. He's currently doing 3.65GHz on his Q6700 on the board I'm buying from him. He's selling me that board and buying the 780i.

My Abit 680i also does 333MHz FSB no problem, I've even hit 3.5GHz though it was unstable. The southbridge is holding it back, its way to hot. I have a thermalright HR-05 SLI on order, but I don't have a credit card so I have to wait for my procrastinating father. :rolleyes:

My Abit 680i also does 333MHz FSB no problem, I've even hit 3.5GHz though it was unstable. The southbridge is holding it back, its way to hot. I have a thermalright HR-05 SLI on order, but I don't have a credit card so I have to wait for my procrastinating father. :rolleyes:

What program are you using to monitor your south bridge temps?

I'm not using a program, I can't find one that works.:( I'm using my finger on top of the southbridge heatsink, right now its uncomfortably warm.

Umm.... that's not really a great indicator.... if you can keep your finger on it it's not even close to thermal threshold, and nowhere near to hot to run for long periods. If a drop of water instantly fizzles into steam on it (you could just take a damp rag and touch it) than it's over 100c and way too hot. (don't get any water on your board... :p )

Did you do the thermal pad/arctic silver mod on those heatsinks? I'm getting a lot better contact with my nb and sb chips now, and cooling is vastly improved. Make sure the heat pipes are dissipating as much heat as possible.

my 4th IN9 32X-Max just died.

Abit can stick it.

I just ordered my asus rampage formula

Whoa. What are you doing to that thing? Mine's in a friends build now, and it still runs fine, even with an overclocked Q6700 and all four memory slots and an overclocked 8800 graphics card....

SirKronan, my IN9 32X is dead. That is why I haven't posted any updates.

I installed Thermalright HR-05's and HR-09 on the chipsets. The install went perfectly. I booted up my rig and I heard something rattling, so I powered down and checked the CPU fan. Moved it, and booted. Now it gives me a b6 postcode, and everything I tried wont make it boot.

I wasn't able to find out what the b6 postcode meant. So the mobo and PSU is out for RMA. I'm crushed...:(

Anyone having success overclocking the Wolfdale E8400 on this motherboard? The overclocking success with these chips hitting over 4G is temping but the question is how is the IN9 32Max handling the Wolfdales.

yea what he said
I have a 6700 @ 3.6

is it worth the switch?

I always wanted 4ghz. =)

The 6700 is not a wolfdate, the wolfdale are the 8 series not the 6 series. The 6 series being the 65 nm processors and the 8 series the 45 nm processors. The new 8 series as in E8400 are the one overclocking over 4G. I am right or have I got something wrong here?

you've got something wrong ;) - the T-man isn't saying that he's got 1 but wants to know results too as he wants to know whether an E8xxx will do 4GHz on it to make it worth him switching from his 3.7GHz 6700.

Purchased a e8400, first attempt at overclocking went to 3.6 no problems. Will be trying higher as I let the processor break in.

Just upped the overclock to 3.7 (1650 FSB) the last place I got with my e6850. That it for now, will be back to overclocking next weekend. Is 4.0 in the books?

Back