The 87 Lamest Moments in Tech 2000-2009

HardOCP News

[H] News
We’ve already had a few “lists” today but this one detailing the 87 lamest moments in tech for the last decade is pretty good. Damn, it seems like it was just yesterday that the Y2K bug was the big scare, doesn’t it?

Which was a relief–and a fitting way to kick off the technological era we’ve lived in ever since. Yes, it’s been an amazing time. But it’s also seen more than its share of misbegotten decisions, bizarre dramas, pointless hype, and lackluster products and technologies–often involving the same people and companies responsible for all the amazing stuff.

I've had a recent experience with the Y2K bug where I work. I am not sure what happened back in 2000, since I didn't work here at the time, but we are having an issue where our software is changing a field from 2010 to 1910. Weird stuff.

My fav Y2K issue was when i hospital we supported in Canada crashed their print server with the win 2000 y2k patch lol. Awesome memories

There's an old dell laptop sitting across the room from me with a Y2K compliance sticker on it. Oh the memories....:D

A long time TurboTax user, I was lucky enough to learn of the Product Activation in 2003 to switch.

To Taxcut.

And I've never looked back since.

I'm sure there are millions who did the same.

Great so we only get 15 GREAT moments, but 87 LAME moments? Yikes what does that say about us! :D

didnt read the list but HDCP should be #1. i remember when you used to hook up a video cable and the picture appeared immediately. technology was awesome back in the day.

Ahhh, the Segway. Invention of the Century! Wait, what. It's not an invention? It's just a self balancing electric scooter you say? huh.
Oh and the Y2K. What a joke. But without it, there wouldn't have been the move "Office Space" Great movie by the way.

There's an old dell laptop sitting across the room from me with a Y2K compliance sticker on it. Oh the memories....:D

And the media... oh, the media. I remember channel surfing and switching to a "tech show" about Y2K. Being mildly interested, I keep watching. It seemed somewhat rational at first... then the next person to be interviewed comes on and gives his <italics>prediction</italics> (yeah, I know, no html and it's BBCode on here, this is just for emphasis) for what will happen.

The next scene shows people, while the guy giving his prediction is heard during voiceover, picking up their kitchen appliances and trying to 'fend' them off as if the appliances became sentient and were attacking them. Complete with a bored orange county housewife sandwiching her face in between the two parts of a wafflemaker. While it was unplugged, unfortunately.

I blanked out the rest of the show as I just sat there in shock. Come to think of it, some good came out of the Y2K hysteria. I stopped watching television.

And really... what better introduction to how incredibly fucking retarded the 'naughts' were gonna be? I'm so glad this decade is finally ending. Not that anything will change once we hit 2010.

Ahh........the sweaty monkey-boy lives on! ;)

I wonder if they'll play those clips at his memorial someday.:D

Back