The 6500xt and 6400: Meet your next gpu, PC gaming peasants.

Some of these results...
View attachment 433447View attachment 433448View attachment 433449View attachment 433450View attachment 433451
Alot of these games are doing good with just 4GB vram so long as they have sufficient bandwidth to the main board so as to borrow from the system memory. Take that away and the 4GB AMD cards take a devastating hit in many cases.
I'd imagine that the performance would be actually quite good with full pcie 4.0 bandwidth. Most people why would by this card definitely have PCIe 3.0 system so this card feels really weird. On top of crappy video decoding & encoding block.

hardware blocks for miners so we could get something other then gt710's but the nwe got scalpers to deal with. so either way its a lose / lose for us hopefully in future things change.

In our tests, the performance in memory-heavy games is reduced by up to 38 percent with PCI-E 3.0 compared to 4.0 - without having made special settings for it.

https://www-pcgameshardware-de.tran...NCb0&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB

PCI Express 4.0 vs. 3.0

As you can see above, we also tested the Radeon RX 6500 XT with PCI-Express 3.0 by setting this in the UEFI menu of our mainboard for all components. We deliberately left Smart Access Memory (SAM) on in order to only test the influence of PCI-E transmission. This series of measurements reveals how the Radeon RX 6500 XT runs on a common system with a 3.0 slot and comes out as expected: depending on the game and settings, the graphics card lets up more or less clearly.

Overall, the Radeon RX 6500 XT with PCI-E 3.0 achieves a Full HD index of 19.1 percentage points compared to 21.7 with PCI-E 4.0. This difference results from minimal and very clear (!) Differences in the 20 test games, from which we have selected a few examples. Given these results, we strongly advise against using the Radeon RX 6500 XT on an older chassis, although there is a solution to the problem: If you don't overcrowd the memory, for example with undemanding games and settings, you will experience a smaller performance hit. Everyone has to decide for themselves how sensible this self-torture is, where graphics cards without this handicap also exist.
PCI-Express-Throughput_Games-pcgh.pngPCI Express Throughput - Games.Source: PC Games Hardware

https://www-pcgameshardware-de.tran...8/3/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB

Averaged over our game test suite, we found a 13% loss in performance when switching from the PCIe 4.0 interface to PCIe 3.0. This will happen to you when running the Radeon RX 6500 XT on an Intel platform that's older than Rocket Lake (10th generation and older). On the AMD side PCIe 3.0 is the fastest option when using first generation Zen processors, or when using lower-end motherboards with cheaper chipsets.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6500-xt-pci-express-scaling/31.html

It ONLY makes sense for a PCIE 4 system for $200 AND there has to be no other option. Its too cut down to make it worthwhile at all unless someone is totally opposed to used GPUs or their local market is particularly terrible. Like even more so than where we are now in general. If I needed a GPU today I would probably just spring for a 6600 or 6600xt or keep playing the shuffle /shop used. 1650 supers come and go under 300 and the 1660 super is in stock for 319 every few weeks at Microcenter here anyway. Any of these make more sense despite being inflated right now than a brand new GPU that is so limited in features and performance.

So, RX 5500xt 4GB using pci-e 4.0. When using pci-e 3.0 It is right between the GTX 1650 and RX 570 with worse min fps than both. No hardware encoding and only 2 video outputs so pretty much useless everywhere - gaming, encoding, office work. Worst card since the DRR4 GT 1030.
Screenshot_20220119-101803-627.png

Pretty brutal. I'm mid way through HUB's review and he states its better to buy a used rx 570 4GB at $200 or so.

Edit: Newegg has one Power Color model for $279 and its already out of stock.

Last edited:
It ONLY makes sense for a PCIE 4 system for $200 AND there has to be no other option. Its too cut down to make it worthwhile at all unless someone is totally opposed to used GPUs or their local market is particularly terrible. Like even more so than where we are now in general. If I needed a GPU today I would probably just spring for a 6600 or 6600xt or keep playing the shuffle /shop used. 1650 supers come and go under 300 and the 1660 super is in stock for 319 every few weeks at Microcenter here anyway. Any of these make more sense despite being inflated right now than a brand new GPU that is so limited in features and performance.

I was looking at a gpu replacement for an older rig. Yea, so, this isn't it. Especially since it's a pci-e 3 system.

the 6600xt achieved to keep up with a 5700xt with only a 128 bits/256GB/s memory bus (versus the 256, 448 gb/s one for the 5700xt) so maybe that 112 gb/s will not be too much of a bottleneck for half the core and will surprise a bit.

If the 6500xt achieve to be 66% of a 6600xt (i..e a bit better than a 1660ti) but in a much cheaper and efficiant package in a world with regular pricing it could have been an interesting product (there is almost never bad product only bad price like the saying goes to say).

If it straight only half (5500xt level) than.....
Finally I was just not wrong, it is not even fully matching a 5500xt 4GB all the time.... Not even close at PCIe 3.0 mode in some case...

Finally I was just not wrong, it is not even fully matching a 5500xt 4GB all the time.... Not even close at PCIe 3.0 mode in some case...
Yes, looking at the benchmarks, you are better of buying a 6600 or above, unless this is meant as a stand-in purchase for a temp fix

Just to keep piling it on this card. During typical gaming use, power consumption is around that of a 1650 at just over 100w. That is already not very good considering the poor performance and 6nm tech.

However, the card spikes to 179w for brief moments. That is the same high spike as the RTX 2060. This is likely due to the crazy high factory clocks of the GPU and memory.

The card only has one 75w connector, so possibly over 100w through the pci-e. Now, how about the fact that those 100w are going through a narrow x4 PCIe trace?!!

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6500-xt-tuf-gaming/36.html

Last edited:
Newegg site was clearly having trouble earlier. Multiple cards listed, many at the $199 MSRP. A few up to $299 (gigabyte 3 fan model). None in stock as of 820am PST.

Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 08-17-23 Radeon RX 6500 XT Desktop Graphics Cards Newegg com.png

Just to keep piling it on this card. During typical gaming use, power consumption is around that of a 1650 at just over 100w. That is already not very good considering the poor performance and 6nm tech.

However, the card spikes to 179w for brief moments. That is the same high spike as the RTX 2060. This is likely due to the crazy high factory clocks of the GPU and memory.

The card only has one 75w connector, so possibly over 100w through the pci-e. Now, how about the fact that those 100w are going through a narrow x4 PCIe trace?!!

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6500-xt-tuf-gaming/36.html
The power goes through the same pins regardless of number of lanes; the signal traces are signal traces and only that. Still a lot of power for the slot, though.

I find it fascinating watching and reading all the reviews running this card at 1440 and at 4K. It's marketed as a 1080p card. Even bothering to run 4K tests seems stupid. It's probably going to be fine for people playing WoW, Minecraft, whatever.

I'd rather buy this for my mother-in-law to replace a dying card than a $500 1650 S (or a $200 GT 1030 at Best Buy!)--and MIcro Center's got several models of the 6500 XT in stock this morning, at $200-300.

I find it fascinating watching and reading all the reviews running this card at 1440 and at 4K. It's marketed as a 1080p card. Even bothering to run 4K tests seems stupid. It's probably going to be fine for people playing WoW, Minecraft, whatever.

I'd rather buy this for my mother-in-law to replace a dying card than a $500 1650 S (or a $200 GT 1030 at Best Buy!)--and MIcro Center's got several models of the 6500 XT in stock this morning, at $200-300.
All reviews I've seen were using 1080p and just added on 1440p/4k for academic scaling especially for older titles like R6 in which this card should be able to handle at 1440p.

GTX 1060 6GB, RX 580, and 1650S can all be found for cheaper than that. Even an RX 570 and GTX 1060 3 GB would be a better bet for those running pci-e 3.0.

Given a you are fortunate enough to snag one at the oh so popular Microcenter for that price, it's still a crap product for the lack of video encoding and limited video outputs.

Nobody will want this thing in a few years when you sell it. There is no salvaging this POS.

FPS Review:

Overall, this video card we found is best suited for Medium gameplay settings at 1080p in current games. If a game supports FSR, then you might be able to play at High. For sure Ultra and Ultimate settings are out of the question. In the more intensive games, you are likely to find yourself in the Medium to Low gaming setting category. Even in Cyberpunk, Low wasn’t low enough though. Future games will only get more demanding.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/01/19/gigabyte-radeon-rx-6500-xt-eagle-4g-review/8/

All reviews I've seen were using 1080p and just added on 1440p/4k for academic scaling especially for older titles like R6 in which this card should be able to handle at 1440p.

GTX 1060 6GB, RX 580, and 1650S can all be found for cheaper than that. Even an RX 570 and GTX 1060 3 GB would be a better bet for those running pci-e 3.0.

Given a you are fortunate enough to snag one at the oh so popular Microcenter for that price, it's still a crap product for the lack of video encoding and limited video outputs.

Nobody will want this thing in a few years when you sell it. There is no salvaging this POS.
It'd be a good system builder card, where you can be sure you have a 4x pcie 4.0 slot and could use the extra lanes for storage, etc. It's utility outside that is very narrow.

The RTX 3050 will be unopposed in this category, and sudedenly I'm no-longer worried about poor CPU scaling on DX12 games (With a videocard that is already GPU-limited in every new game, you inherently have no CPU worries!)

Last edited:
I was expecting mediocre performance from this card and yet I was still unpleasantly surprised with how bad the 6500XT performed. I do not even see it as a good $150 card as the GTX 1650 Super had an MSRP of about $160 more than two years ago. You know a GPU sucks when a reviewer turns down products for review from other AIB's. I do not even want to think about how bad the 6400 performs. If the 6500XT had an 8x PCIe interface as well as encoding, it would had of been an okay card.

people just seem to be looking at this product in the wrong way it seems, was awaiting for this hot take. AMD might just be misunderstood

Or, we could take it the way it currently is. It's a square product fit in a circle hole.

It's not good for older systems - his entire premise failed on this spot

It's not good for new systems (just buy an oem or a laptop) - If you were unlucky enough to have a gpu die on you or built a system before the gpu market blew up - I sympathize for you

It's not even objectively power efficient (it's not terrible either)

Last edited:
It's a signal of what the market is going to be. I think that's most of what the complaints come out to. A lot of lamenting what $200 used to be able to get you.

Idk what to say. People have been spreading cheeks wide for the past couple of years to gobble up whatever was on the shelf and this is the result.

It's not good for older systems - his entire premise failed on this spot
AMD missed the mark on this. They could of really had something good going if they had of used an 8x interface. I could see those needing a card to finish a new system buying a 6500XT IF and only IF they were widely available at approximately $200.

people just seem to be looking at this product in the wrong way it seems, was awaiting for this hot take. AMD might just be misunderstood

This goober would have been excited if AMD released any turd with a fake MSRP of $200.

The only chance mainstream gamers will be able to get anything worthwhile is if we get 4 GB ram and full PCIe lanes with an Nvidia 3050 or an AMD 6600XT.

Both those cards should perform close to their 8 GB counterparts so long as the highest settings are avoided.

AMD missed the mark on this. They could of really had something good going if they had of used an 8x interface. I could see those needing a card to finish a new system buying a 6500XT IF and only IF they were widely available at approximately $200.
But they released a turd and they are all still gone with cards $299.99+

Back