The 6500xt and 6400: Meet your next gpu, PC gaming peasants.

OKC Yeakey Trentadue

[H]ard|Gawd
While gpus are going for double or more the retail price, AMD may be launching a card that may be pathetic enough for them to ignore:
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ent...eam-processors-rx-6400-with-768#disqus_thread

First up the 6500xt. Blow away your friends who are still using 8 year old consoles with GPU power that will likely match the RX 480 4gb, a circa 2016 product that launched at $200. This card will likely launch closer to $300, but you will likely pay no more than $400 - fingers crossed.

And now the 6400. With a 75w envelope, this card may be the next sff champ. Likely, though, it will not surpass the 1050ti, another 2016 GPU, thanks to it's 64 bit and 768 core count design. Should be a solid 30fps on newer titles.

Keep your chin up PC fans. Us console players will be happy to play cross platform games with you and despite PC gamers holding us back.

Do you want to start a Console vs PC flame war? Because this is how you start a Console vs PC flame war.. :D

I'll go first.
Cross platform play is ruined by all the aim assist that the thumb jockeys get and I won't play crossplay FPS games from the PC side because of this. The counterpoint is that PC FPS games are rampant with cheating which ruins the crossplay for a lot of people on the console side.

On topic.. These GPUs may fill a gap in the entry level market but I agree they will probably be anemic and somehow end up retailing for way over the intended pricing.

Do you want to start a Console vs PC flame war? Because this is how you start a Console vs PC flame war.. :D

I'll go first.
Cross platform play is ruined by all the aim assist that the thumb jockeys get and I won't play crossplay FPS games from the PC side because of this. The counterpoint is that PC FPS games are rampant with cheating which ruins the crossplay for a lot of people on the console side.

On topic.. These GPUs may fill a gap in the entry level market but I agree they will probably be anemic and somehow end up retailing for way over the intended pricing.

It's all in good fun of course. You have to laugh at the situation sometimes. Early rumors, but why these are not 6 GB 96 bit is beyond me.

Those could have been descent 1080p cards.

Maybe the miners will leave them alone if they are 4GB cards? But that isn't exactly great in gaming any more either in newer titles. Its OK for 1080P med though and if these can do that at least people can get their rigs up and running with a new card with warranty vs a $250+ RX 580 with miles on it.

the 6600xt achieved to keep up with a 5700xt with only a 128 bits/256GB/s memory bus (versus the 256, 448 gb/s one for the 5700xt) so maybe that 112 gb/s will not be too much of a bottleneck for half the core and will surprise a bit.

If the 6500xt achieve to be 66% of a 6600xt (i..e a bit better than a 1660ti) but in a much cheaper and efficiant package in a world with regular pricing it could have been an interesting product (there is almost never bad product only bad price like the saying goes to say).

If it straight only half (5500xt level) than.....

Last edited:
the 6600xt achieved to keep up with a 5700xt with only a 128 bits/256GB/s memory bus (versus the 256, 448 gb/s one) so maybe that 112 gb/s will not be too much of a bottleneck for half the core and will surprise a bit.

If the 6500xt achieve to be 66% of a 6600xt (i..e a bit better than a 1660ti) but in a much cheaper and efficiant package in a world with regular pricing it could have been an interesting product (there is almost never bad product only bad price like the saying goes to say).

If it straight only half (5500xt level) than.....
I know things don't scale perfectly, but look at the 6600xt vs the 6800xt. The smaller card has 45% of the Gflops and 50% of the bandwidth of the larger card yet still only manages 50% of the performance when gpu limited at 4k. The 6500xt is half of the 6600xt again. Also, 4 GB on the lower end seems like a bigger bottleneck than 8 GB on the midrange. (ie there may be some games that are LESS than half the performance with the 6500xt)

Likely much closer to the 5500xt.

yet still only manages 50% of the performance when gpu limited at 4k.
Around 66% at 1080p (my inspiration for this not even thinking about the higher res for that product), 58% at 1440p

Could just be that the 6800xt was not fully deploying itself at 1080p (like the 6600xt do) and that the 58%-50% will be more representative here.

If a 6500xt is performing like a 5500xt that a strange generation bump, I imagine possible in the current anything could be sold environment too.

4GB of VRAM and a 64 bit memory bus? Why won't they think of the miners?!

Maybe the miners will leave them alone if they are 4GB cards? But that isn't exactly great in gaming any more either in newer titles. Its OK for 1080P med though and if these can do that at least people can get their rigs up and running with a new card with warranty vs a $250+ RX 580 with miles on it.
Would have to wait and see. I doubt these will be worth it for mining other coins like ERGO or Ravencoin because a 4GB rx 470 for $200 probably mines more and costs half as much, but if they're available for around $200 and mine as well as something like that then maybe they would be appealing due to power efficiency (TBD) and warranty. The 6600 and 6600xt are great in that regard. I guess this will help the situation on the low-end for consumers but I don't think that's been a problem for awhile honestly. I see 6600's and 6600xt's fairly frequently in store and they're available for just above MSRP online.

4GB of VRAM and a 64 bit memory bus? Why won't they think of the miners?!

Would have to wait and see. I doubt these will be worth it for mining other coins like ERGO or Ravencoin because a 4GB rx 470 for $200 probably mines more and costs half as much, but if they're available for around $200 and mine as well as something like that then maybe they would be appealing due to power efficiency (TBD) and warranty. The 6600 and 6600xt are great in that regard. I guess this will help the situation on the low-end for consumers but I don't think that's been a problem for awhile honestly. I see 6600's and 6600xt's fairly frequently in store and they're available for just above MSRP online.
I mine ERGO with a Radeon Nano, 4gb of HBM, does rather well or at least profitable. Nano was a good low power die to begin with with power saving HBM. Anyways I agree, these should mine like crap with that memory bus. Then again maybe there are some algorithms that may work.

As for the current mining period, Crypto etc. I expect a rather big crash when the feds continue to tighten the money supply in attempts to dampen inflation. Money will become tighter and tighter and speculation abilities and getting loans to speculate/gamble will get harder and harder -> Crypto crash. No crystal ball but mining I would say will become rather unprofitable for a number of cards, especially the newer RNDA2 Radeon cards.

well i got a 3090FE but i tell ya it was nowhere near msrp. i waited tried everything i could tried the best buy bullsht waiting your turn sht for months. every time one error or another. finally decided fk it spend $4000 cad Rupees to get something that isnt sold in canada, is going into a pcie gen 4 capable system and is being used with a nice 34in monitor. i just need to get a proper 4K monitor to rightfully enjoy this class of card.

i build systems on side and i can tell ya people are fking numb in the head. they dont get that gpus are not coming back a 1060 6gb is 10000x better then the GT710 i could just toss in there. complaints that a 1060 6gb is trash is the norm i dont care how old it is if you want something new be prepared to pay more then ever before.

untill crypto dies or people stop wanting to fk over everyone else to get it this will never end people are terrible and deserve to have every penny they ever borrowed / mortgaged lost if they did it in pursuit of crypto.
/rant

I am still sore from paying almost $1200 after shipping and taxes for an RTX3070Ti from the Newegg shuffle. Sad, that was about the price the RTX3080Ti was supposed to sell for and a skip away from the launch price of the RTX3090. It was still significantly cheaper than what they go for on ebay. I should had stocked-up on 5700XT's when they were going for less than $300.

I doubt... I thought I came across some garbage in Reddit just a short while back that 2gb and 4gb cards are being used for mining.. VertCoin may have been it? not sure.. as I'm not a miner

Well shit. There are plenty of folks around here and they may be able to weigh in. Personally I don’t “need” any GPUs right now but plenty of friends looking to build or upgrade hit me up constantly as I’m the “computer guy “ in my circle.

If a 6500xt matches an rx480 and comes in a half-height, two slot design, I might put one in my sff case...maybe.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-6nm...oming-soon-to-radeon-rx-6500xt-graphics-cards

AMD 6nm Navi 24 GPU pictured, coming soon to Radeon RX 6500XT graphics cards​

AMD Navi 24 is a small GPU with a die size estimated at 141 mm², so a bit smaller than RDNA1 Navi 14 of 158 mm². The render confirms that the GPU has half of the GPU clusters of Navi 23, which is 16. With each cluster occupied by 64 Stream Processors, the full implementation offers 1024 shading units. The Infinity Cache size has been reduced to 16 MB and there is only a 64-bit wide memory controller.

The first products to feature Navi 24 are Radeon RX 6500XT and RX6400 desktop graphics. The first card is now rumored to launch on January 19th, while the latter is designed for AMD OEM partners and its release date is unknown. AMD is now expected to reveal more details on its Navi 24 products during the CES 2022 press conference on January 4th.

Screenshot_20211227-185838_Opera.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-6nm...oming-soon-to-radeon-rx-6500xt-graphics-cards

AMD 6nm Navi 24 GPU pictured, coming soon to Radeon RX 6500XT graphics cards​

AMD Navi 24 is a small GPU with a die size estimated at 141 mm², so a bit smaller than RDNA1 Navi 14 of 158 mm². The render confirms that the GPU has half of the GPU clusters of Navi 23, which is 16. With each cluster occupied by 64 Stream Processors, the full implementation offers 1024 shading units. The Infinity Cache size has been reduced to 16 MB and there is only a 64-bit wide memory controller.

The first products to feature Navi 24 are Radeon RX 6500XT and RX6400 desktop graphics. The first card is now rumored to launch on January 19th, while the latter is designed for AMD OEM partners and its release date is unknown. AMD is now expected to reveal more details on its Navi 24 products during the CES 2022 press conference on January 4th.

View attachment 425742
5.5 in² is small? o_O

I know, I'm bad at maths. Never liked unit conversions... It's 0.21 in², not 5.5. :p

5.5 in² is small? o_O

I know, I'm bad at maths. Never liked unit conversions... It's 0.21 in², not 5.5. :p
Back of the hand calculation says that it is (1/2 in)square which works out to 0.25 inch square

the RX 6500XT is to feature a boost clock of 2815 MHz with the game clock set to 2610 MHz by default, which is around 9% to 10% higher than RX 6600XT based on Navi 23.

one of the spec sheets that Videocardz have seen mentions 18Gbps memory, while previous leaks suggested 16Gbps. A higher memory speed would increase the bandwidth to 144 GB/s. Update: this has been confirmed by leaker Greymon55.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-rad...m-navi-24-gpu-to-feature-2815-mhz-boost-clock

So slightly faster and less efficient than expected running those high cclocks. Still betting on GTX 1650 Super performance and efficiency. That card launched at $160 over 2 years ago.

Let that sink in for a moment.

AMD Details Sub-$200 Radeon RX 6500 XT and RX 6400 Graphics Cards​

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-6500xt-6400xt-gpus

Gaming at 1080p high should provide a good balance of image quality and performance, and by dropping from maxed out settings the 4GB of VRAM should present fewer difficulties. AMD shows overall performance that's about 35% higher than Nvidia's GTX 1650

Screenshot_20220104-231849_Gallery.jpg

So right in line with the 1650 S / 5500xt 4gb given AMDs own benchmarks. Not looking good.
No, not looking good at all. So far the only model that looks like it has any RGB on it is the ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6500 XT OC Edition 4GB GDDR6, and it only has a tiny little RGB stripe. What are they thinking! At least there's a little hope from Gigabyte in the Radeon™ RX 6500 XT GAMING OC 4G. It's 282mm long, has 3 fans and they weren't dumb enough to put the model number on the side of the card. The single 6-pin power connector is a dead giveaway for a budget card, but that can be fixed with an extra cable and a little tape, glue, custom sleeving, etc. so it looks like the 2x8-pin setup of a high end GPU. They even thought to leave an empty space next to the 6-pin plug for the extra cable & 2 extra pins on the 6-pin. :D

No, not looking good at all. So far the only model that looks like it has any RGB on it is the ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6500 XT OC Edition 4GB GDDR6, and it only has a tiny little RGB stripe. What are they thinking! At least there's a little hope from Gigabyte in the Radeon™ RX 6500 XT GAMING OC 4G. It's 282mm long, has 3 fans and they weren't dumb enough to put the model number on the side of the card. The single 6-pin power connector is a dead giveaway for a budget card, but that can be fixed with an extra cable and a little tape, glue, custom sleeving, etc. so it looks like the 2x8-pin setup of a high end GPU. They even thought to leave an empty space next to the 6-pin plug for the extra cable & 2 extra pins on the 6-pin. :D
Lol, PCMR African style.

I got the XFX Speedster Merc319 6900 XT Ultra last Feb 2021, its just a beast of a card. I'll take on any of those current Gen console fanboys and make them cry. :LOL:

I was kidding too. Though it was a cringe worthy joke.
That was the point, I know the AMD cards are lacking with ray tracing, hopefully with the Nvidia 4000 series I'll be able to score one. This was my first AMD card since the X1900 XTX, while the 6900 XT is a decent card I do prefer Nvidia.

That was the point, I know the AMD cards are lacking with ray tracing, hopefully with the Nvidia 4000 series I'll be able to score one. This was my first AMD card since the X1900 XTX, while the 6900 XT is a decent card I do prefer Nvidia.
That's quite a gap! I had a reference r9 290 briefly that I returned since it was thermal throttling and loud, before that an HD 5870 that had lots of driver bugs. I mostly have stayed nvidia though for the features and (generally) stable experience.

That's quite a gap! I had a reference r9 290 briefly that I returned since it was thermal throttling and loud, before that an HD 5870 that had lots of driver bugs. I mostly have stayed nvidia though for the features and (generally) stable experience.
The reason I left AMD was very buggy drivers playing Half Life 2, I got a 6800 GT instead and never looked back. The only reason I got the 6900 XT is because the Nvidia cards were so damn difficult to get. Overall the AMD drivers are better but still can be buggy, also they are loaded with tons of crap i don't need.

That three fan card from Gigabyte... just why? That thing better be whisper quiet under load, even 3 years from now when it strains to maintain 30fps at 1080p medium in the latest CoD, Fortnite type or BF game. Will it even fit in an average case?

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 09-38-37 Radeon™ RX 6500 XT GAMING OC 4G Key Features Graphics Card -...png

The reason I left AMD was very buggy drivers playing Half Life 2, I got a 6800 GT instead and never looked back. The only reason I got the 6900 XT is because the Nvidia cards were so damn difficult to get. Overall the AMD drivers are better but still can be buggy, also they are loaded with tons of crap i don't need.

The annoying thing about amd drivers is.

full install = includes everything + kitchen sink
min install = drivers+settings - all shit I don't need + individual game settings (which on occasion I do need)

Gaming at 1080p high should provide a good balance of image quality and performance, and by dropping from maxed out settings the 4GB of VRAM should present fewer difficulties. AMD shows overall performance that's about 35% higher than Nvidia's GTX 1650

Worrisome the absence of 5500xt/1060 has the reference here ?

Well it is all about can you find one at $200, which in the current market a much better than a 1650 would be a really good deal.

Edit: According to the message below, in the EURO zone is not even close to be even close.

Last edited:
AMD’s $199 Radeon RX 6500XT officially gets €300/324 MSRP from ASUS

Andreas Schilling (@aschilling) Tweeted:
ASUS just published pricing of the „199$“ card:

„The ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6500 XT will be available on January 19, 2022 for an MSRP of 334€.

The Dual Radeon RX 6500 XT will be available on January 19, 2022 for an MSRP of 299€.“

https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1480451221668478977?s=20

https://videocardz.com/newz/amds-199-radeon-rx-6500xt-officially-gets-e300-324-msrp-from-asus

Back