THE 55nm GTX260 /w pics

Acoustique

Gawd
http://en.expreview.com/2008/12/05/first-look-of-55nm-geforce-gtx260.html

From expreview

The GT200b of GeForce GTX260 will be renamed to be “G200-103-B2” instead of 65nm “G200-103-A2”. The “B” means newest 55nm processing is used. The number of its stream processors remains as 216. The video memory uses Samsung K4J52324QH-HJ1A chip. The specs are 896MB/448bit, with default frequency of 575/2000MHz and memory bandwidth of 112GB/s.

fine and dandy for them but where is the gtx280 refresh?? I'm trying to hold out for it.

Will these refreshed cards offer any performance increase? or is it purely packaging improvements?

It's a shame this won't be out before Christmas... They will lost a lot of sales as January is one of the worst months for purchasing goods, because everyone returns everything that month

usually die shrink equates to less power usage and less on the temps (which could further equate to higher potential overclocks)...but i'm an idiot
so
:D

Info on NVIDIA and DDR5

After Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) announces to build 40nm process chip, Taiwan Economic News reports that AMD and NVIDIA’s first 40nm products will debut in Q1 next year. So let’s guess who can enjoy the ahead chance.

What’s funny is, as two biggest graphics tycoons in the world, AMD and NVIDIA both choose the fastest Hynix 7Gbps GDDR5 graphics DRAM for their new-line products. It’s very likely that we find Hynix’s new DRAM in AMD RV870 or NVIDIA GT216/206.

It’s rumored that the power consumption of NVIDIA GT212 i.e. 40nm GT200 is 25% less than previous 65nm chip.

As for GDDR5 graphics DRAM, ATI has taken the lead in using Qimonda GDDR5 Graphics DRAM for its Radeon HD 4800 Series.

On the 260gx2

Dual-GPU designed GeForce GTX260 GX2 graphic card will be officially named as GeForce GTX295. Apparently, GeForce GTX295 is coming to regain its dominance of performance which has been grabbed by AMD Radeon HD4870X2. It will utilize two GT200 of 55nm with 216 stream processors, and probably carry on dual PCB design. As of now, the frequency and memory are not known yet.

Our source indicates that the design of GeForce GTX295 graphic cards has been finished, and its trial-production and test process will follow later. With the big day coming closer, it’s time for GTX295 card to show itself.

The Hynix DDR5

Built on 54nm technology, 1Gb GDDR5 works on 1.35V voltage. It runs at high speed of 7Gbps, which means it’s 40% faster than current 5Gbps GDDR5. It can process up to 28 Gigabytes of data per second with 32-bit interface.

Hynix 1Gb GDDR5 graphics DRAM totally meets JEDEC Standard, and its volume production is scheduled to happen in the first half of next year. It mainly targets at high-end graphics cards and game PCs.

So make what you will from that and should give you an idea of what 2009 has to offer

Sexy update, but honestly, it's no reason not to pickup a normal GTX260 right now considering how cheap they are. Anyone eyeing up a GTX260 doesn't care about power/thermal requirements, IMO.

260gx2 is kind of hard to believe, unless they managed to cut the memory bus back or something

yeah, I was really hopin for some sweet christmas deals on this refresh, but doesn't seem like it. I dunno why they'd delay the release of these cards, but I guess they'll do some sweet sales on the old stock to clear it out or something.

maybe their plan is to sell all the current gtx 260/280s during christmas, then release the new cards in January since its not gonna be Q3 2009 until the next generation comes out. This way u won't have all the old gtx200s stuck in warehouses lol

Yeah, I'm really shocked that NVIDIA won't have anything out this month. Last year around December 13th, they released their GeForce 8800 GTS 512Mb cards. Not releasing anything now will miss any chances of a holiday purchase IMO. Just think this is a bad marketing move to release something in the new year.

maybe their plan is to sell all the current gtx 260/280s during christmas, then release the new cards in January since its not gonna be Q3 2009 until the next generation comes out. This way u won't have all the old gtx200s stuck in warehouses lol
Possible, but my guess is that they were aiming for a december date but got hit by an unexpected number of erata when debugging the changes and the date slipped as a result.

Do you think the current 280 will be allowed to stepup to the 285?... And what do you think the retail prices of the 285 might be ?

I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to step up. It is more exposure for their product and they would still be making money.

The MSRP from EVGA for the new cards will probably be real in the USA and probably something like €600 for the 55nm GTX280 and €450 for the 55nm GTX260.... :rolleyes:

The MSRP from EVGA for the new cards will probably be real in the USA and probably something like €600 for the 55nm GTX280 and €450 for the 55nm GTX260.... :rolleyes:
i always thought they would be cheaper than the current gtx200s, cuz the architecture makes them easier to be produced? :confused:

i always thought they would be cheaper than the current gtx200s, cuz the architecture makes them easier to be produced? :confused:

I'm not saying they are that expensive in Europe, but I'm saying that step-up in Europe is not interesting. You pay the difference between the price you paid for your card and the MSRP of the new card. And they set those MSRP prices way too high in Europe.

http://www.evga-europe.com/evga-step-up-products.html

GTX280: 500 euro; it's 400 in shops.

If it is before January 23rd then I can step up from my 280 to the best new variant if performance upgrade is enough. :)

*cough* 8800GT *cough*

I'm going to say this was because of the demand for the card, companies were sorta gouging it to start with, I'm victim of that, I got in the [H] deal with XFX though for 279 for the mid-range one.

Been a great card though, worth every penny I think as it's lasted me this long, I'm normally a chronic upgrader. This has been quite a solid setup for me, although I'm looking into i7 920/X58/12GB DDR3/55nm 260 soon here...

Could you use a GTX280 with a GTX285 in SLI?

Good question, if you could it's obvious that the 285 would only perform equally to the 280...

I haven't tried SLI two cards that aren't exactly the same but if my memory serves me right, this works only if the cards are from the same generation. It probably comes down to the difference in architecture between the two which shouldn't be much different. /shrugs

I personally would just like to stick with single card solutions, I had a 7950 GX2 since it launched and it served me well up until the 8800GTS 512 (G92?) launched. But I don't have the money to experiment on things like I use to. :)

Info on NVIDIA and DDR5

Apparently, GeForce GTX295 is coming to regain its dominance of performance which has been grabbed by AMD Radeon HD4870X2. It will utilize two GT200 of 55nm with 216 stream processors, and probably carry on dual PCB design

But is the 4870 not faster than the gtx 260? So how can the gtx295 be faster than a HD4870x2?

But is the 4870 not faster than the gtx 260? So how can the gtx295 be faster than a HD4870x2?

I think this may turn out to be a situation where games that favor SLI / Nvidia drivers over Crossfire / Ati drivers or vice versa.

Presenting a dilemma at the least as to who holds the true crown for performance.

If Nvidia was smart they may have matured their drivers or their GX2 hardware architecture to stimulate a greater advantage then what may be anticipated...

I'm not holding my breath though, I'll believe it only when I see it (or when [H] brings us the facts of the matter). ;)

Man if they don't increase the clock speed, simply great overclocking potential isn't going to do much to ameliorate the pressing ATI competition

Back