The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

Can't you use "Acer Display Widget" software to switch between the "work profile" and the "entertainment" one?
Acer Display Widget let you export/import settings rapidly. I use it to switch between the calibrated profile and HDR on my XV273K.

thanks!
Haven't tried the widget but the problem is that the local dimming setting isn't saved as part of the profile and I would assume the same goes for when using the software. Can you even change all settings via the software that is available in the OSD?

But regardless, these kind of problems shouldn't even be there on a monitor this expensive. Having to disable local dimming just to get acceptable brightness just isn't in itself acceptable.

If you use HDR mode, you can't change the brightness in the OSD. It will set it to 100 and make in unchangeable. However, if you want to use the other modes, you can change in the OSD. To me, the only mode with utilizes the monitor's HDR capabilities is HDR mode so that's my default.
Even though there is no G-SYNC module, it does have a fan. You need to put your ears right up to the monitor to hear it so it's not really noticeable. I wouldn't say it's any type of coil whine. With G-Sync monitors though (like my old x27), the fan is DEFINITELY noticeable.

Weird that it still needs a fan, I don't think my 32M2V has a fan, or maybe I just can't hear it. These non Gsync module FALD monitors are definitely quite a mess when it comes to settings though vs the X27. If you are the type of person who wants to constantly change settings back and fourth and switch from SDR to HDR and back again then I really cannot recommend neither the X32FP or the 32M2V because it's simply too much of a headache to deal with the constant OSD fiddling every time you switch modes. You HAVE to just set it once, dial it in, and forget it or it's too much hassle.

Even though there is no G-SYNC module, it does have a fan. You need to put your ears right up to the monitor to hear it so it's not really noticeable. I wouldn't say it's any type of coil whine. With G-Sync monitors though (like my old x27), the fan is DEFINITELY noticeable.
I hope that you know that there is a service menu you can access to tame the fan on the X27? Have had mine set at 30 for at least a year now without any problems notices. Of course, there might still be risks involved with this.

Agree that the fan of the X32 is almost not audible and I am quite sensitive to that kind of noise. I haven't actually checked to see there is a fan but it looks like it and based on what is written here by others, it probably has.

I hope that you know that there is a service menu you can access to tame the fan on the X27? Have had mine set at 30 for at least a year now without any problems notices. Of course, there might still be risks involved with this.

I run X27 with the fan set to 30 for 2 years now. You have only remember to switch it to 50 every time you play HDR game.

Agree that the fan of the X32 is almost not audible and I am quite sensitive to that kind of noise. I haven't actually checked to see there is a fan but it looks like it and based on what is written here by others, it probably has.

My Predator X27 is dead now.

I tried replacing the G-Sync fan on my own one day because the monitor would keep shutting off with a message: "critical temperature shutdown". Also because the fan would make loud noises and stop running sometimes, hence the message. It was a pain to replace. You basically have to dismantle most of the monitor. After, I tried turning on the monitor and nothing is displayed anymore. I don't know what to do.. looks like after I replaced it I messed something up.

Painful to throw $1100 down the drain because of a dumb fan. Acer said they will fix it for approximately $1000 dollars but I decided to get a new monitor instead. That's why I decided to get the X32 FP.

In my opinion, G-Sync in monitors is a bad deal for these reasons:
1) They run much hotter than normal monitors, because of the G-Sync module.
2) The G-Sync module needs to be actively cooled by a large fan. However, the addition of a large fan is subject to breakdown after a while.
3) G-Sync monitors usually cost hundreds of dollars more than FreeSync monitors.

I will probably go with AMD graphics cards now after this experience.

If you use HDR mode, you can't change the brightness in the OSD. It will set it to 100 and make in unchangeable. However, if you want to use the other modes, you can change in the OSD. To me, the only mode which utilizes the monitor's HDR capabilities is HDR mode so that's my default.
Windows let you change the brightness for HDR contents, does highering windows hdr brightness solve the "dark problem" you have?
Have you tried calibrating the HDR even in games to see if it improves the problem?

Can you even change all settings via the software that is available in the OSD?
You can't change all the available settings in the OSD but most of them, I would give a try to the Acer Display Widget software.

Weird that it still needs a fan, I don't think my 32M2V has a fan, or maybe I just can't hear it.
HardwareLuxx says that the monitor does not have a fan :( that's weird.

Last edited:
Windows let you change the brightness for HDR contents, does highering windows hdr brightness solve the "dark problem" you have?
Have you tried calibrating the HDR even in games to see if it improves the problem?

You can't change all the available settings in the OSD but most of them, I would give a try to the Acer Display Widget software.

Windows lets you change the brightness for SDR content in HDR mode, that's a different thing and has no effect on HDR apps :)
Anyway - when you set X32FP to the HDR mode the brightness is already at its maximum (and locked).
Calibrating HDR in games improves it for some of them (OV2) and has little to no effect on others (COD MW2).

Acer Display Widget is also very buggy and you cannot change things like local dimming there.
Firmware is the latest one (10).

Windows lets you change the brightness for SDR content in HDR mode, that's a different thing and has no effect on HDR apps :)
Anyway - when you set X32FP to the HDR mode the brightness is already at its maximum (and locked).
Calibrating HDR in games improves it for some of them (OV2) and has little to no effect on others (COD MW2).

Acer Display Widget is also very buggy and you cannot change things like local dimming there.
Firmware is the latest one (10).

thanks for the answer and for the explanation.
mmm this seems disappointing, I'll receive the monitor on monday, hope that it will not be a deal breaker...

what about if you reproduce a video like this?

can you see the bright highlights?

my current XV273 shows 400cd/m2 in dark areas and in bright ones, but this is obviously wrong, dark area must be dimmed, bright areas should arrive at 1000cd/m2 peak brightness.

I would not be impressed if on X32 FP dark/grey areas goes as low as 100cd/m2 and the bright ones as high as 1000cd/m2 since this is how HDR is supposed to work.

in a normal lit scene I would feel confortable if the brightness would be around 300cd/m2...
I will do some analysys with the colorimeter when the monitor arrive.

I tried replacing the G-Sync fan on my own one day because the monitor would keep shutting off with a message: "critical temperature shutdown". Also because the fan would make loud noises and stop running sometimes, hence the message. It was a pain to replace. You basically have to dismantle most of the monitor. After, I tried turning on the monitor and nothing is displayed anymore. I don't know what to do.. looks like after I replaced it I messed something up.

Painful to throw $1100 down the drain because of a dumb fan. Acer said they will fix it for approximately $1000 dollars but I decided to get a new monitor instead. That's why I decided to get the X32 FP.

2) The G-Sync module needs to be actively cooled by a large fan. However, the addition of a large fan is subject to breakdown after a while.
3) G-Sync monitors usually cost hundreds of dollars more than FreeSync monitors.

Sad to hear, the X27 is a damn fine monitor. Mine is also starting to make rattling sounds from the fan now and I am thinking that it might not have long time to go. Had it for something ike 4-5 years though.

To everyone having problems with X32 FP, did you updated the firmware to the latest one?
https://www.acer.com/us-en/support?search=X32FP&filter=global_download&suggest=x32;0

the new firmware, clearly says in the changelog that let you change the brightness in OSD when using HDR.
Unfortunately yes. Did it almost directly after I got the X32 so not really sure what it actually changed, but brightness with local dimming still seems broken. Honestly, the X32 is currently on the floor waiting to be boxed up and returned unless either Acer fixes the firmware or someone here finds a solution.

You guys are scaring me now with all the dead X27's. I've had mine for 5 years as well so not sure how much life is left in it, but currently it's boxed up and stored as a backup display incase my InnoCN kicks the bucket. Would suck to have my InnoCN die in the future, then bring the X27 back out and having it die shortly after too lol.

what about if you reproduce a video like this?
can you see the bright highlights?
Yes, YouTube on chromium has no HDR problems when watched on X32FP.
For the rest it's not a dealbreaker unless you want to use local dimming on desktop (it looks bad).
I got used to all the other quirks and for the games that look bad on default settings I just raise brightness in ncp a little.

G-Sync is the fastest option for analyzing images.

One reason why the X32FP has all these issues is due to the lack of G-Sync, which properly drives the backlight local dimming.

Having fans on the monitor is not necessarily bad as long as they are decent fans. The X27 has a custom fan that is not easy to replace compared to a server fan, but you can still find the fan model 23.TBAM2.002 to replace it yourself. You can blame Acer's design for ditching a server fan that runs continuously, even if it gets louder with dust.

Ok, having done some further testing now and it seems really obvious that it is the firmware + local dimming algorithm that is is causing these problems, rather than the monitor itself not having capabilities. It seems like Acer has really gone for "minimize blooming/haloing at all costs" here. Raising brightness in the NVidia control panel make this monitor really bright, even with local dimming enabled, and does not really casuse as much havoc with the image quality as usually happens when you start touching these controls. There is still a noticeable brightness shift depending on what is show, like if you would have two tabs in your browser one with white background and one with black and switch between them.When doing the LAGOM White test, i see the squares all the way up to 254 even though I currently have brightness set to 75% (!) in NCP.

Of course, any tech that isn't self emissive will need some kind of algorithm for FALD, as even a few hundred dimming zones i no match for something like an OLED with 8 million of them. MiniLED etc can't change that, even though it can improve things compared to before.

Now, that brightness shift may drive some people mad (like myself), so we might still end up in a situation where you would have to manually turn it on and off all the time if switching from desktop usage to gaming etc. But at least it seems possible to have local dimming AND brightness at the same time.

Edit:

Should perhaps add that I am in no way a color purist and like my monitors to be bright and pop. I couldn't care less about creators intent etc.

Last edited:
Ok, having done some further testing now and it seems really obvious that it is the firmware + local dimming algorithm that is is causing these problems, rather than the monitor itself not having capabilities. It seems like Acer has really gone for "minimize blooming/haloing at all costs" here. Raising brightness in the NVidia control panel make this monitor really bright, even with local dimming enabled, and does not really casuse as much havoc with the image quality as usually happens when you start touching these controls. There is still a noticeable brightness shift depending on what is show, like if you would have two tabs in your browser one with white background and one with black and switch between them.When doing the LAGOM White test, i see the squares all the way up to 254 even though I currently have brightness set to 75% (!) in NCP.

Of course, any tech that isn't self emissive will need some kind of algorithm for FALD, as even a few hundred dimming zones i no match for something like an OLED with 8 million of them. MiniLED etc can't change that, even though it can improve things compared to before.

Now, that brightness shift may drive some people mad (like myself), so we might still end up in a situation where you would have to manually turn it on and off all the time if switching from desktop usage to gaming etc. But at least it seems possible to have local dimming AND brightness at the same time.

Edit:

Should perhaps add that I am in no way a color purist and like my monitors to be bright and pop. I couldn't care less about creators intent etc.
They have developed algorithms to improve backlight local dimming, but these algorithms require processing power equivalent to G-sync.

Without faster chips to analyze images and control the backlight, the image quality cannot be improved.

another question...
I will not use the monitor in HDR mode since I prefer better color accuracy while working / using PC, I will use it in "user mode" since I will calibrate the monitor with a colorimeter.

can you tell me if switching from "User mode" to "HDR mode" is automatic as soon as I enable HDR in windows or should I even enable HDR in the monitor OSD?

does the "dark problem" happen even in user mode while using FALD or this happen in HDR mode only?

Switching from User to HDR is not automatic, I use the app for that.
FALD issues are universal across the modes.

Switching from User to HDR is not automatic, I use the app for that.
FALD issues are universal across the modes.

Can't understand why Acer isn't able to detect windows HDR and set HDR on the monitor too.
Every monitor is able to do it, can't understand why Acer isn't able to do it.

I have seen a lot of cons, monitor should arrive tomorrow but I'm pretty convinced that I will return it.

If you can't control the brightness when fald is active, even in user mode, this monitor is broken.
I can somewhat understand it with HDR but in user mode it's not acceptable.

How come there seems to be so few reviews of the LG 27GP95R and also almost no mentionings of it here?

If you can't control the brightness when fald is active, even in user mode, this monitor is broken.
I can somewhat understand it with HDR but in user mode it's not acceptable.
One of the many reasons mine is boxed up now waiting to be returned. It not a bad monitor in anyway, just not as good as I expected/hoped it to be and also not really an obivous improment over my X27 all in all.

Last edited:
Because it's just a stripped down version of the GP950, and there is tons of coverage on that one.
Ah, ok, haven't really kept track on the LCD monitor market for a while and it just was listed as new even though it seems to have been around for a while like many "new" monitors.

When working I use the monitor at 160cd/m2

If the monitor can be calibrated at that brightness with fald active I will not return it, in any other cases I'll return it.

As far as I understood with fald active the brightness is at 100%, can't be highered but can be lowered.

If I can calibrate the monitor at 160cd/m2 or 160 nits, it's ok for me and I really hope so.

I don't wear sun glasses while using a pc. XD

If the monitor can be calibrated at that brightness with fald active I will not return it, in any other cases I'll return it.

As far as I understood with fald active the brightness is at 100%, can't be highered but can be lowered.

Yes and no.
With FALD active brightness is not at 100% (unless you set it to), it is an HDR mode that locks the brightness at 100%.
Second - there's no problem at exceeding 160 nits in user mode with FALD being activated. The only problem is that it will fluctuate depending on the content, at one time peak calibrated brightness will be 170 when viewing brighter content, at second 150 when viewing something with dark background for example (numbers pulled off my a..)
Perfect example is the internet browser's address tab - bright content - it will be white, dark webpage - it will be gray.

This is how it works on this monitor.

Yes and no.
With FALD active brightness is not at 100% (unless you set it to), it is an HDR mode that locks the brightness at 100%.
Second - there's no problem at exceeding 160 nits in user mode with FALD being activated. The only problem is that it will fluctuate depending on the content, at one time peak calibrated brightness will be 170 when viewing brighter content, at second 150 when viewing something with dark background for example (numbers pulled off my a..)
Perfect example is the internet browser's address tab - bright content - it will be white, dark webpage - it will be gray.

This is how it works on this monitor.

Thanks for the answer and for trying to explain me it but as far as I understood from your explanation this is how FALD works and not how this monitor works :)

Fald is there to brighten and darken areas based on the contents, right?

If you don't want this you don't want FALD

Thanks for the answer and for trying to explain me it but as far as I understood from your explanation this is how FALD works and not how this monitor works :)

Fald is there to brighten and darken areas based on the contents, right?

If you don't want this you don't want FALD
Sure, but it can be tuned differently.
In X27 bright areas were the priority, that increased blooming but white was always white and the picture was quite stable.
In X32 fald is far more aggressive dimming the whole content except for the brightest bigger highlights, sure - blooming is reduced when compared to X27 but then is brightness across the range and it increased fald flickering.

There is no "one proper fald algorithm", I just prefer the first implementation with more impact in some apps/games and it was also quite useable on desktop even in color critical applications. The second one with always changing brightness and color temperature is a no-go for that.

Sure, but it can be tuned differently.
In X27 bright areas were the priority, that increased blooming but white was always white and the picture was quite stable.
In X32 fald is far more aggressive dimming the whole content except for the brightest bigger highlights, sure - blooming is reduced when compared to X27 but then is brightness across the range and it increased fald flickering.

There is no "one proper fald algorithm", I just prefer the first implementation with more impact in some apps/games and it was also quite useable on desktop even in color critical applications. The second one with always changing brightness and color temperature is a no-go for that.

This is very close to my own observations and thoughts about the X32FP. I guess it perhaps also boils down to how much work/play you use the monitor for, for me, its about 90% work and perhaps 10% play (at most), so good stable brightness (I'm a brightness junkie) is more important than perfect blacks. Also, I found the 32" to be a tad to big to be honest, unless I push it further away from me but that kind of defeats the purpose of upgrading from 27". Ironically, my main runner up to the X27 is still the OLED 42" C2, which I realize probably contradicts all of the above, but with perfect blacks and viewing angles (almost), it is hard to ignore, even though I would have preferred it to be quite a bit smaller (and still 4K). This is why my X32 is back in the box for return, but that does not mean it is a bad monitor, far from it, just not the one for me.

This is very close to my own observations and thoughts about the X32FP. I guess it perhaps also boils down to how much work/play you use the monitor for, for me, its about 90% work and perhaps 10% play (at most), so good stable brightness (I'm a brightness junkie) is more important than perfect blacks. Also, I found the 32" to be a tad to big to be honest, unless I push it further away from me but that kind of defeats the purpose of upgrading from 27". Ironically, my main runner up to the X27 is still the OLED 42" C2, which I realize probably contradicts all of the above, but with perfect blacks and viewing angles (almost), it is hard to ignore, even though I would have preferred it to be quite a bit smaller (and still 4K). This is why my X32 is back in the box for return, but that does not mean it is a bad monitor, far from it, just not the one for me.
I’m ending up in a similar situation. The X32FP clearly has a very capable panel and will be great for some people. But to me the HDR brightness looks too dark in the 5-200 nit range (I don’t have a measurement device so that’s just a guess), the flickering on the faster local dimming is distracting, and some of the OSD quirks are annoying when I have to switch between modes. My monitor has to be good for mixed use and this one doesn’t seem like a good fit for me. I’m still going to work with it a bit more, but I’m considering actually going with two screens, a less expensive 4k monitor for computing and a small OLED TV for HDR gaming.

I think the X32FP has a great panel though and for some it will be a great monitor. I think Acer may be able to address some of these issues via new firmware, but who knows if they will. I also expect other monitors based on this panel will be good and hopefully avoid some of these issues. I think this is the panel I’ve been waiting for, and while Acer’s implementation doesn’t work for me, it might work great for others!

Last edited:
When working I use the monitor at 160cd/m2

If I can calibrate the monitor at 160cd/m2 or 160 nits, it's ok for me and I really hope so.

I don't wear sun glasses while using a pc. XD

The brightness is NOT locked when FALD is active. It is locked when the monitor is operating in HDR mode (You can have FALD active and not be in HDR mode), but you can still adjust the brightness using the Windows SDR brightness slider when HDR is enabled, which as the name implies only affects SDR content and does not mess with your HDR brightness.

Monitor is arrived, most of your complaints was true until I updated to the latest firmware.
Once updated to the latest firmware the monitor is somewhat flawless.

I was so worried but after a complete afternoon spent searching all the monitor options I'm super excited. Monitor is super awesome.

HDR performance are amazing and I don't see real issues with the panel.
I agree that the monitor tends to have some darker tints on greyscales but highering the brightness helps.

My colorimeter improved the dark tones on greyscales so the monitor is now perfect.

I think that people that spend so much on a monitor should have a colorimeter in order to calibrate their monitor based on their own preferences.

The only thing that I don't like that much is the fact that you can't disable over drive when using gsync. It's a minor annoyance but overdrive creates small overshoot problems on black text on white background.

Monitor is arrived, most of your complaints was true until I updated to the latest firmware.

I was so worried but after a complete afternoon spent searching all the monitor options I'm super excited. Monitor is super awesome.

I agree that the monitor tends to have some darker tints on greyscales but highering the brightness helps.

My colorimeter improved the dark tones on greyscales so the monitor is now perfect.

I think that people that spend so much on a monitor should have a colorimeter in order to calibrate their monitor based on their own preferences.

The only thing that I don't like that much is the fact that you can't disable over drive when using gsync. It's a minor annoyance but overdrive creates small overshoot problems on black text on white background.
Have you tried gaming on it by any chance? I am hoping it doesn't have bad motion blur for occasional fps multiplayer games

I heard someone else say a calibration with a colorimeter does address the brightness issue.

Could you share your settings? I got mine on sale which is about 1200 usd after taxes. Waiting for it to arrive. I foregoed the innocn as I wouldn't have a 3 year local warranty.

Have you tried gaming on it by any chance? I am hoping it doesn't have bad motion blur for occasional fps multiplayer games
This monitor is crazy fast, no ghosting no blur at all. This is the first monitor where I can clearly read the text on the gsync pendulum demo even at 60fps, leave alone at 160hz.

I mean this
1678171600342.png

Great it works for you, it is a good panel when it works as intended.
I still have the same issues though even with the latest firmware and after calibration.
I learned how to live with these annoyances though.

Back