The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

They're too expensive, they're also slow (particularly the ASUS monitor which costs like 3 grand still), also their FALD is a blooming mess in a lot of scenarios. People will take the deep blacks over a giant white blotch in star field situations.
It is compromised. If all the issues they complain about on an HDR display are fixed like an all-in-one monitor, it is going to be even more expensive. The technology has reached its current limits. ASUS PG32UQX already fixes the blooming but it has a bigger ABL now, 50%-100% window drops down from 1400-1200nits to 1000nits. That's an 800nits gap compared to the 1800nits highlight. I guess ASUS cannot fix one thing without introducing another.

But other types of monitors like 200nits OLED, which swoop in between the current stage of mini-LED and the next micro-LEDs, cannot display a lot of scenes requiring higher brightness and wider colorspace as well, even in the starfield. It looks like HDR 200 while the SDR on FALD IPS already looks like HDR 400 or above. Other types of monitors don't look as good as IPS. Also, people talk like they have seen better images a lot.

So you have 3 options:
1. an expensive display with a good image with a slower response time as well as some blooming
2. a cheap display with a worse image but faster response time.
3. wait

New firmware update for the Dell G3223Q (Ver. M3T102) came out 18th August.

Fixes & Enhancements​

1. Improve HDR performance
2. Added Custom Color Settings for HDR
3. Added Console to use its own tone map via Source Tone Map
4. Added OSD option to turn On or Off the lighting at the back of monitor.
5. Bug fixes for Dark Stabilizer, PBP and DDM

Other fixes mentioned by users not in the official change log:
- Flickering/Black screen issues no longer occur when enabling G-Sync over DP

RTings are also re-testing the monitor soon with this firmware.

New firmware update for the Dell G3223Q (Ver. M3T102) came out 18th August.

Fixes & Enhancements​

1. Improve HDR performance
2. Added Custom Color Settings for HDR
3. Added Console to use its own tone map via Source Tone Map
4. Added OSD option to turn On or Off the lighting at the back of monitor.
5. Bug fixes for Dark Stabilizer, PBP and DDM

Other fixes mentioned by users not in the official change log:
- Flickering/Black screen issues no longer occur when enabling G-Sync over DP

RTings are also re-testing the monitor soon with this firmware.
The next version of this monitor will probably have a good amount of zones I'd imagine, I am curious what they did to improve the HDR with limited hardware capability.

Not sure why companies are still making 4k144Hz monitors that bring nothing new to the table. This Lenovo one seems like a Gigabyte clone released a year and a half too late.

Not sure why companies are still making 4k144Hz monitors that bring nothing new to the table. This Lenovo one seems like a Gigabyte clone released a year and a half too late.
Panels becoming available to more manufacturers. If anything this will help with driving prices down.

Lenovo uses BOE panels to saturate the low-end market, which is the majority, for more profit based on sale quantities. This makes other high-end panels a hard sell.
So other panel manufacturers have to improve to make the high-end panels easier to produce.

So I've been using FI32U for a week now and I gotta say that the monitor is fine.
It's definitely more robust and feels better built than PG32UQ and has way less "issues" during normal function.
Panel though is visibly worse in color gamut and while it is faster this isn't really visible in practice especially as you're basically forced to turn OD off unless you're running it at 144Hz all the time - even the lowest OD setting produce huge artifacts <100Hz, something which isn't the case with PG32UQ at all.

Overall it's a solid monitor. I would probably prefer a hybrid with AOU panel and Gigabyte's electronics but with a better OD - preferable of a proper variable variety.
Oh well. This one will do for some time.

So I've been using FI32U for a week now and I gotta say that the monitor is fine.
It's definitely more robust and feels better built than PG32UQ and has way less "issues" during normal function.
Panel though is visibly worse in color gamut and while it is faster this isn't really visible in practice especially as you're basically forced to turn OD off unless you're running it at 144Hz all the time - even the lowest OD setting produce huge artifacts <100Hz, something which isn't the case with PG32UQ at all.

Overall it's a solid monitor. I would probably prefer a hybrid with AOU panel and Gigabyte's electronics but with a better OD - preferable of a proper variable variety.
Oh well. This one will do for some time.
This seems a lot like how it's going with my 28" Samsung G70A which is basically the same thing as the Gigabyte M28U, just different pros/cons (full speed HDMI 2.1 vs USB-C port). I got this even cheaper because the store I bought it from was running a further sale and I got them to price match my previous purchase so this 4K 144 Hz IPS display cost me only 399 euros. That's very good value for a pretty good SDR screen.

Which puts into perspective how much extra we are paying for things like better HDR support these days. While this is a ~750 euro screen brand new in my country, Samsung recently seems to have refreshed this model and what do they improve? They add smart TV functionality. That's how lame the display market seems to be for IPS panels these days.

Somehow it seems just making a 27-32", truly great mini-LED IPS display without significant issues seems like an insurmountable task where you have overpriced units like the PG32UQX, basically no HDR in the PG32UQ/M32U and really nothing in between. I'd gladly pay around 1300-1500 euros for something like the Neo G7 but without the issues they have.

Wanted to buy LG 32GQ950-B, but apparently it has a built in fan, can anyone confirm?
(I saw a short german "review" with a guy complaining about a loud fan noise , which would be a deal breaker for me.)

Wanted to buy LG 32GQ950-B, but apparently it has a built in fan, can anyone confirm?
(I saw a short german "review" with a guy complaining about a loud fan noise , which would be a deal breaker for me.)
I am beyond OCD when it comes to noise. Have a Fractal Define XL R2 that's 8 ft from my chair, I haven't heard zero noise from the monitor.

It seems the fan is there for HDR max brightness when it gets super hot, which honestly should not be used with this monitor anyways. It's not a G-Sync fan running 24/7 that I can tell.

Last edited:
Think I’m going to go back to a normal monitor from my CX 48. Under $1000 it’s basically the M32U and G3223 it seems? I’m leaning toward the latter for the out of the box color accuracy and Dell branding alone despite the extra $100 price. I’m pretty tired of a giant 48” TV on my desk and won’t miss the picture since I mostly game on my PS5 on a 65” CX.

Under $1000 it’s basically the M32U and G3223 it seems? I’m leaning toward the latter for the out of the box color accuracy and Dell branding alone despite the extra $100 price.
G3223 has some bad OD setup IIRC, better check the reviews.

Think I’m going to go back to a normal monitor from my CX 48. Under $1000 it’s basically the M32U and G3223 it seems? I’m leaning toward the latter for the out of the box color accuracy and Dell branding alone despite the extra $100 price. I’m pretty tired of a giant 48” TV on my desk and won’t miss the picture since I mostly game on my PS5 on a 65” CX.
That was a typo, I haven't heard noise from it at all. I had a FI32U that I returned, it looked much worse than the GQ in dark scenes.
G3223 has some bad OD setup IIRC, better check the reviews.
Not only does it have bad OD, it has image retention issues as well.

So they still all suck huh same as two years ago when I bought the CX. Oh well, it’ll do. My Dell work monitor has image retention as well and it doesn’t bother me. OD looks fine from the rtings review.

Anything will be better than the hell of using a giant TV as a monitor

For $5000, PA32UCG is slower. It has larger bloom than PG32UQX.
I use both of them compared to fast monitors like PG279QM fast IPS, Zowie TN, AW OLED, etc.
It's not a subjective matter on image quality. And most people don't even see the monitors in person.
I won't choose a TN or PG279QM unless the monitor is doing panning shot 24/7.
I'm a bit skeptical of your statement that the UQX has less bloom than the UCG when it comes to static images or film. I'm wondering if I should switch to the UCG per my color critical work (I'm a render artist.) I've noticed blooming very similar to this on the other thread.
1663117782510.png

It's not as bright (probably because of different cameras and room lighting) but there's an obvious blue aura around high contrast areas like fireworks. I'm concerned with the area it takes being massive enough to be distracting while I've seen consensus on night images being better on the PA32UCG. My UQX is plenty fast and works well on your dot test but interestingly, with grey backgrounds, the blooming is far more noticeable than black backgrounds. How does your unit perform and have you found any solution to reduce the bloom?

Here's mine in comparison. The picture looks somewhat close as it does to the naked eye except the bloom is more blue than grey so it stands out a bit less.
bloom head on.jpg

bloom at angle.jpg

I've got variable backlight set to 2, G-Sync on, and HDR on for these. Level 3 doesn't improve it much and makes general browsing much worse so I don't use it.

Also, how's the fan noise on your PG32UQX? Does it have an odd mechanical sounding whir (as opposed to a hiss or other characteristic laptop/desktop fan noise)? Is it louder than your PA32UCG? Mine is somewhat high pitched, not loud, but noticeable even with police sirens at a distance outside. I've heard some people report dead silent fans so I wonder if it differs between units. Mine's manufactured in Dec. 2021

Last edited:
It seems the fan is there for HDR max brightness when it gets super hot, which honestly should not be used with this monitor anyways. It's not a G-Sync fan running 24/7 that I can tell.
Sill, IMHO a fan has no to buisness being in a display. It may be fine for now, but who knows how loud it will get in a few years especially in a dusty environment...(If at least displays had a module for users to easy plug/swap fans, then It would be OK)
Well, I guess I will be going with Gigabyte M32U then, since there are basically no other alternatives.

Sill, IMHO a fan has no to buisness being in a display. It may be fine for now, but who knows how loud it will get in a few years especially in a dusty environment...(If at least displays had a module for users to easy plug/swap fans, then It would be OK)
Well, I guess I will be going with Gigabyte M32U then, since there are basically no other alternatives.
I just turned the monitor around and cut everything else in the room. The fan only runs after brightness as been set to 60 or higher for 5-10 min, which is way too bright anyways. I have gaming in the dark set to 35 and bright set to 41; desktop use is 17 (80nits).

You do you, but I've had both (FI32U) and there is world of difference between them in actual use. This is what the GQ looks like in the dark compared to my PA248Q side monitor at the same angle to both. The FI32U looked similar.

Notice the recycling bin icon: I used the pro mode to adjust the ISO, this isn't overexposed. The difference is actually this strong in the corners, this is about a 30 degree angle to the screen.

MonitorGlow.jpg

This is an exaggerated photo which shows the off axis IPS glow.
It (M32U/FI32U) does not look like this in practice unless all you do on your monitor is look at a black fill from a 30° angle.
The actual difference will be much smaller - to the point where paying about twice as much for the LG model doesn't sound like a smart idea at all.
Also using an LCD screen in complete darkness is a bad idea anyway. Go get an OLED if this is how you're using your display.

This is an exaggerated photo which shows the off axis IPS glow.
It (M32U/FI32U) does not look like this in practice unless all you do on your monitor is look at a black fill from a 30° angle.
The actual difference will be much smaller - to the point where paying about twice as much for the LG model doesn't sound like a smart idea at all.
Also using an LCD screen in complete darkness is a bad idea anyway. Go get an OLED if this is how you're using your display.

That was the point, even at the 30% angle there is none. On a 32" screen at 18-24" away, what angle to you think the corners are to your eyes?

As for playing in the dark, if you set your black levels properly it's perfectly fine. For me, the glow was always the distracting thing, not the contrast. Caves in Skyrim look terrible on most IPS screens because the muddy color pallette loses details in the glow.

Here is Doom on both. Same camera settings, straight on.

MonitorGlow2.jpg

Last edited:
On a 32" screen at 18-24" away, what angle to you think the corners are to your eyes?
Much less than 30° I'd say, about 10-15 maybe.
IPS off axis glow isn't really an issue on these 32" displays. It may be on a 42"+ probably.

Much less than 30° I'd say, about 10-15 maybe.
IPS off axis glow isn't really an issue on these 32" displays. It may be on a 42"+ probably.

30-37*

a= distance from you to the screen (used 18/24). b = half the screen width (14 for a 32" 16:9). β is how far to the side you're looking. If you're a long arms length (40") back, it's only 20*.

https://www.calculator.net/right-tr...betaunit=d&cv=&hv=&areav=&perimeterv=&x=0&y=0
https://www.calculator.net/right-tr...betaunit=d&cv=&hv=&areav=&perimeterv=&x=0&y=0

I'm a bit skeptical of your statement that the UQX has less bloom than the UCG when it comes to static images or film. I'm wondering if I should switch to the UCG per my color critical work (I'm a render artist.) I've noticed blooming very similar to this on the other thread.
View attachment 509926
It's not as bright (probably because of different cameras and room lighting) but there's an obvious blue aura around high contrast areas like fireworks. I'm concerned with the area it takes being massive enough to be distracting while I've seen consensus on night images being better on the PA32UCG. My UQX is plenty fast and works well on your dot test but interestingly, with grey backgrounds, the blooming is far more noticeable than black backgrounds. How does your unit perform and have you found any solution to reduce the bloom?

Here's mine in comparison. The picture looks somewhat close as it does to the naked eye except the bloom is more blue than grey so it stands out a bit less.
View attachment 509930

View attachment 509932
I've got variable backlight set to 2, G-Sync on, and HDR on for these. Level 3 doesn't improve it much and makes general browsing much worse so I don't use it.

Also, how's the fan noise on your PG32UQX? Does it have an odd mechanical sounding whir (as opposed to a hiss or other characteristic laptop/desktop fan noise)? Is it louder than your PA32UCG? Mine is somewhat high pitched, not loud, but noticeable even with police sirens at a distance outside. I've heard some people report dead silent fans so I wonder if it differs between units. Mine's manufactured in Dec. 2021
PA32UCG is accurate on brightness so the bloom of the less accurate PG32UQX is always smaller than the square bloom of PA32UCQ even in static images or films.
The local dimming is always enabled on PA32UCG. It is made for HDR grading. Color accuracy is just the byproduct. The sheer amount of color volume is more important in Rec 2020.
The bloom are also more distinctive on grey background. Since you are bothered by general browsing with PG32UQX, you can be also bothered with PA32UCQ because the bloom are squares once you notice it. When I play games, faster backlight level 3 is better on both monitors.
I don't hear the fan noise or wind on PG32UQX. It's quiet. I can only hear the wind coming out PA32UCG when putting my ear next to the vent.

I just turned the monitor around and cut everything else in the room. The fan only runs after brightness as been set to 60 or higher for 5-10 min, which is way too bright anyways. I have gaming in the dark set to 35 and bright set to 41; desktop use is 17 (80nits).

You do you, but I've had both (FI32U) and there is world of difference between them in actual use. This is what the GQ looks like in the dark compared to my PA248Q side monitor at the same angle to both. The FI32U looked similar.

Notice the recycling bin icon: I used the pro mode to adjust the ISO, this isn't overexposed. The difference is actually this strong in the corners, this is about a 30 degree angle to the screen.

View attachment 510034
Thanks for the tests.
Fan kicking in starting @60 brightness is reassuring, but I still wouldn't buy a display with a fan (at least not until they start making displays with easy swappable fans. I think it would be a good idea for display manufacturers to allow easy fan moding. The nits demand for HDR content is growing fast and while manufacturer's preferred solution to heat remain fans, why not make them easy to swap? Also instead of installing tiny fans that run very loud at high rpm, they should use 120mm silent low-rpm fans instead. Extra depth of display's back because of 12mm fan-module wont bother most PC users anyway.)

And yeah, undeniably the ATW-polarizer of 32GQ950 looks pretty good. I wish more manufacturers would use those, since I'm also not a big fan of IPS glow...

Btw.
Are your experiencing any eye strain when using 32GQ950?
It has Nano-IPS-Type panel and you can read at lots of forums about many people feeling extreme discomfort and eye strain when using those.
(My experience is limited only to AHVA-Panels and I'm intrigued to try Nano-IPS, but fear it will mess up my eyes)

Currently I decided to wait for soonish release of Corsair XENEON 32UHD144, since the display looks better on paper than Gigabyte M32U.

Just remember people would suddenly say the motion quality of 5ms is unreal. I remember it was not fast by someone's standard.

Just remember people would suddenly say the motion quality of 5ms is unreal. I remember it was not fast by someone's standard.
You would need more context. 5ms on an OLED would be terrible, but on a LCD running at 120-200 Hz it would be good. At 240 Hz it would again be a little bit bad as it's more than the refresh rate window. Plus measurement methods will matter here as the numbers would be different based on how the response time is measured.

I think this TFT Central image is a good way to show it, all at 144 Hz:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/asus_rog_swift_pg32uqx/pursuit_comparison.jpg?x27146

Just a few ms more means more motion blur with a refresh rate window of ~6.94ms. How much you notice this when actually using the display comes down to the individual plus we tend to be very good at getting used to what we have. If I am using the LCDs I have I get used it but then going to play a game on OLED and coming back to the LCDs they suddenly seem like motion is more blurry until I get used to it.

Not to mention price matters. I don't expect a whole lot from the display I got for 400 on sale but if it was 2000+ euros it would have gone back to the store for its terrible HDR performance.

Reactions: Xar
like this
You would need more context. 5ms on an OLED would be terrible, but on a LCD running at 120-200 Hz it would be good. At 240 Hz it would again be a little bit bad as it's more than the refresh rate window. Plus measurement methods will matter here as the numbers would be different based on how the response time is measured.

I think this TFT Central image is a good way to show it, all at 144 Hz:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/asus_rog_swift_pg32uqx/pursuit_comparison.jpg?x27146

Just a few ms more means more motion blur with a refresh rate window of ~6.94ms. How much you notice this when actually using the display comes down to the individual plus we tend to be very good at getting used to what we have. If I am using the LCDs I have I get used it but then going to play a game on OLED and coming back to the LCDs they suddenly seem like motion is more blurry until I get used to it.

Not to mention price matters. I don't expect a whole lot from the display I got for 400 on sale but if it was 2000+ euros it would have gone back to the store for its terrible HDR performance.
People are buying this for the ultimate picture quality with a little sacrifice of response time. Any single player, lite FPS shooter will be fine.
If you know how to config it, it can deliver at least 2 times more contrast than other monitors in both SDR and HDR.

Btw.
Are your experiencing any eye strain when using 32GQ950?
It has Nano-IPS-Type panel and you can read at lots of forums about many people feeling extreme discomfort and eye strain when using those.
(My experience is limited only to AHVA-Panels and I'm intrigued to try Nano-IPS, but fear it will mess up my eyes)

It's funny you would ask, as I just returned it today for that very reason.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but my eyes had a real problem focusing on text for long periods of time. Now that my old VA is back on the desk I can say that 80nits doesn't look nearly as bright as 80nits on the GQ, so something might be up with how the backlight works.

Either way, sad day as it was amazing for gaming.

It's funny you would ask, as I just returned it today for that very reason.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but my eyes had a real problem focusing on text for long periods of time. Now that my old VA is back on the desk I can say that 80nits doesn't look nearly as bright as 80nits on the GQ, so something might be up with how the backlight works.

Either way, sad day as it was amazing for gaming.
LG for sure cuts corners.
As said before, there is a difference between Ennostar 250K Hz and LG's whatever 1K Hz low frequency flickering backlight. 450nits won't be even a problem to stare at when you get 250K Hz backlight closer to DC dimming.

LG for sure cuts corners.
As said before, there is a difference between Ennostar 250K Hz and LG's whatever 1K Hz low frequency flickering backlight. 450nits won't be even a problem to stare at when you get 250K Hz backlight closer to DC dimming.
Ya, it's super weird that for that price they would skimp on something like that.

I'm crestfallen, because the gaming performance was so good. It's crazy how much effect glow and gamma shift actually have. Now what is there to get that's nearly as good without flicker? :unsure:

Ya, it's super weird that for that price they would skimp on something like that.

I'm crestfallen, because the gaming performance was so good. It's crazy how much effect glow and gamma shift actually have. Now what is there to get that's nearly as good without flicker? :unsure:
Gaming performance is 5ms response time.
It is ironic for LG when a monitor cuts corner at HDR backlight. The SDR performance will be affected as well.
As said before, when choosing the mid to low-tier IPS monitor. The backlight solution is cheap. The image will have issues.

2022 is going to end in a few months and the 32“ Monitor (shit) show this year was sobering af to say the least. Let’s wait for 2023, shall we?

Last edited:
2022 is going to end in a few months and the 32“ Monitor show this year was sobering af to say the least. Let’s wait for 2023, shall we?
As I've said last year, there were no reason to expect much this year since panels roadmaps didn't show anything worthy in them for 2022, and most models launching this year are just refreshes of previous year models on basically the same panels.
I haven't looked closely at what's coming in 2023 (this year hasn't exactly been a good year to follow this stuff) but off the top of my head there should at least be new OLED UWs coming which can be interesting.

- OLED 32-34“
- 4k resolution
- 120-240hz
- all the other shenanigans an Gaming OLED Monitor includes (HDR, contrast, VRR, DP, etc)

2023? Let’s hope for the best 🙏🙏🙏

like this
People are buying this for the ultimate picture quality with a little sacrifice of response time. Any single player, lite FPS shooter will be fine.
If you know how to config it, it can deliver at least 2 times more contrast than other monitors in both SDR and HDR.
People are also NOT buying it because it's over 3400 euros in my country while not being top tier in every possible area.

That's why I brought up the cost factor. I'm happy to pay more for something I consider truly good but at that high price, it better be the best damn everything. Similarly I'm not jumping to buy e.g a 2000 euro Apple Studio Display just for 5K resolution when it performs only marginally better than my 400e Samsung while being 60 Hz only with slow response times.

We live in weird times where either above 4K res or better HDR expontentially increases the cost for displays. If HDR didn't exist, we would all probably be happy with things like the Gigabyte M32U.

like this
A look at future 32" panels based on TFT Central articles:

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/boe-latest-panel-development-plans-july-2022
https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-display-latest-panel-development-plans-june-2022
https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/au-optronics-latest-panel-development-plans-june-2022

BOE:
  • 31.5″ with 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, 144Hz refresh rate, 98% DCI-P3 / 99% Adobe RGB gamut – this will have 1152 dimming zones but with 4608 LED’s, and was scheduled for production from July 2022.
  • 31.5″ panel with 3840 x 2160 4K resolution and 240Hz refresh rate. This one would have 4608 dimming zones apparently (number of LED’s not listed but expected to be 18,432 like the panel above), and is planned for a possible Q4 2022 production start although it feels like this might well slip given the date for the 60Hz panel above. This was in the "Also mentioned but with less details at this time" section
LG:
  • Basically nothing. There's an edge lit "HDR1000" model apparently in production but that's crap.
AU Optronics:
  • 32″ 4K with 160Hz and 576 zones – We had a bit of information about the M320QAN02.8 in our last update, originally expected to go in to production in Q3 2021 but slipped a bit to May 2022. This should now be in production we believe. This is a 32″ sized IPS panel with 3840 x 2160 4K resolution, 160Hz refresh rate, 1000 nit peak brightness, 98% DCI-P3 / 99% Adobe RGB colour gamut (thanks to Quantum Dot coating) and a 3-side borderless design. It has 576 dimming zones. This is one of the "AmLED" panels, read more here.

Samsung is still unknown but I would not expect to see anything in this category considering they just released the Neo G7/G8 series. Ideally there is a revision that fixes the scanline problems and any other issues since the scanline problem seems like it would be more of a controller problem rather than firmware update fixable as the older G7 and G9 models have suffered from it as well. Would be nice to have a 240 Hz G8 with less aggressive AG coating too.

The ASUS PG32UQXE announced in January is still in limbo, supposedly it uses the AUO panel mentioned above. It might be an interesting product if it isn't super expensive again and has pixel response times more like the regular PG32UQ, even if it doesn't get as bright as the PG32UQX.

I have severe doubts about all these FALD panels being anywhere close to a good bang for buck type of product.

Back