The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

My PG32UQ has just died at the end of updating it to the newly released v034 firmware. Doesn't turn on anymore, light isn't amber or anything. Be warned.

Which, if any, of these monitors have a glass screen?

I might be due for an upgrade from my 32"/1440p/144Hz and I'm sick of squishy-to-the-touch, matte displays. I won't deny it, I'm a little jealous of my friends with Apple displays/iMacs. That build quality is nice.

Only thing I've seen that's remotely close to a review on the Viewsonic monitor with HDR and local dimming:

Seems like it's pretty good, but it's really not that many dimming zone. TVs with these kind of specs are about a quarter the price, sometimes less.

Only thing I've seen that's remotely close to a review on the Viewsonic monitor with HDR and local dimming:

Seems like it's pretty good, but it's really not that many dimming zone. TVs with these kind of specs are about a quarter the price, sometimes less.

Even the Neo G8 is $1000 less, and the Neo G7 half the price of that Viewsonic. Same number of zones too. We'll have to wait for real reviews for all 3, but it seems HDR FALD IPS monitors are severely over priced.

Last edited:
Which, if any, of these monitors have a glass screen?

I might be due for an upgrade from my 32"/1440p/144Hz and I'm sick of squishy-to-the-touch, matte displays. I won't deny it, I'm a little jealous of my friends with Apple displays/iMacs. That build quality is nice.
As far as I know, only iMacs and Apple’s Pro Display XDR and Studio Display have glass layers in front of their screens. However, if you’re okay with glossy instead of glass, the 4K 144 Hz Eve Spectrum offers that. Unfortunately, it’s only 28” and isn’t miniLED.
None, thankfully.
I don’t understand how anyone can be so happy to have a permanent gray layer on a monitor that’s supposed to have perfect blacks… or rather, on a monitor that they’re paying a $1000+ premium for to get perfect blacks.

I don’t understand how anyone can be so happy to have a permanent gray layer on a monitor that’s supposed to have perfect blacks… or rather, on a monitor that they’re paying a $1000+ premium for to get perfect blacks.
Antireflective coating doesn't create any "permanent gray layer".

Are there any mini-LED monitors like Neo G7 / Neo G8, but that aren't curved on the horizon? What about QD-OLED with full 4k resolution (eg. not AW3423DW)?

ATW Polarizer + 48GBPS HDMI 2.1
What is more important? 1000+ zone FALD or a polarizer that in the grand scheme of things brings their bill of materials up by $25.

That thing is way overpriced for what is essentially a globally lit monitor. If Samsung can sell you a 1196 zone FALD monitor (Neo G7) for the same price something is wrong here.

What is more important? 1000+ zone FALD or a polarizer that in the grand scheme of things brings their bill of materials up by $25.

That thing is way overpriced for what is essentially a globally lit monitor. If Samsung can sell you a 1196 zone FALD monitor (Neo G7) for the same price something is wrong here.
FALD is still very limited, especially on an IPS panel. Samsung's VA's are not perfect either.

Whether the price is worth it will come down to motion performance and how well it eliminates glow.

This will also have no fan and no burn-in risk.

Agree it's overpriced and probably has something like 16 dimming zones like the GP950. This will be probably something like 1500 euros here in Finland and that's absurd. At about 1000 I'd consider it as it otherwise ticks a lot of my boxes.

We just can't get a break with these 32" 4K high refresh rate models where all of them so far are varying degrees of crap.

Agree it's overpriced and probably has something like 16 dimming zones like the GP950. This will be probably something like 1500 euros here in Finland and that's absurd. At about 1000 I'd consider it as it otherwise ticks a lot of my boxes.

We just can't get a break with these 32" 4K high refresh rate models where all of them so far are varying degrees of crap.
Agreed. Can't believe LG is launching the 32GQ950B with edge lighting at $1300 competing at that price point with Samsung Neo G7 that has both mini LED and superior VA contrast. Shouldn't the 32GQ950B be competing against the $1000 PG32UQ and $900 MPG321UR-QD?

Really wish LG had just launched a 27GQ950B instead with working firmware out of the box, ATW Polarizer and better wide gamut performance (80-85% rec2020 vs GP950B's 70%) like the top tier 32" IPS panels to give it a boost over M28U / G70A.

Any reason why Samsung, Panasonic, Asus, Alienware etc are all focusing on lower volume large display categories like 32" for all their 2022 premium products? Can they just not produce enough units for 27" products or are there no new 27" panels to design products around?

Agreed. Can't believe LG is launching the 32GQ950B with edge lighting at $1300 competing at that price point with Samsung Neo G7 that has both mini LED and superior VA contrast. Shouldn't the 32GQ950B be competing against the $1000 PG32UQ and $900 MPG321UR-QD?
The G7 is curved and has legitimate issues. Don't just focus on the backlight tech, as that's meaningless if you have dark flickering and off angle brightness fall-off/gamma shift.

An almost-uniform IPS with 1000:1 and motion handling like the 27GP950 would be the option I would personally prefer. No matter the dimming zones, bloom is terrible for color work on desktop.

The G7 is curved and has legitimate issues. Don't just focus on the backlight tech, as that's meaningless if you have dark flickering and off angle brightness fall-off/gamma shift.

An almost-uniform IPS with 1000:1 and motion handling like the 27GP950 would be the option I would personally prefer. No matter the dimming zones, bloom is terrible for color work on desktop.
Early reports of the NEO G7 definitely indicate there may be issues but how widespread they are and to what degree they can be resolved with firmware updates is yet to be seen. Obviously these aren't directly comparable units (IPS vs VA, flat vs curve etc). The point is just that $1300 for a monitor in 2022 without FALD or OLED / QD-OLED is wild.

Early reports of the NEO G7 definitely indicate there may be issues but how widespread they are and to what degree they can be resolved with firmware updates is yet to be seen. Obviously these aren't directly comparable units (IPS vs VA, flat vs curve etc). The point is just that $1300 for a monitor in 2022 without FALD or OLED / QD-OLED is wild.
4 dimming zones or 400, the blooming is still going to make HDR look like white garbage. When they can stuff a 10k zone panel into a sub $2000 price point I'll start to get interested (but probably will insist on seeing before buying, since that will still mean a mouse cursor size backlight segment size); until then any HDR features on the specsheet are 100% irrelevant to my evaluation of the product.

4 dimming zones or 400, the blooming is still going to make HDR look like white garbage. When they can stuff a 10k zone panel into a sub $2000 price point I'll start to get interested (but probably will insist on seeing before buying, since that will still mean a mouse cursor size backlight segment size); until then any HDR features on the specsheet are 100% irrelevant to my evaluation of the product.

The blooming is problematic for desktop work, but you can disable local dimming for that. For HDR videos and games, it's a pretty minor issue.

The blooming is problematic for desktop work, but you can disable local dimming for that. For HDR videos and games, it's a pretty minor issue.
This is my thinking - fake HDR with disabled local dimming is best. This approach actually results in a much better experience than just "bright SDR" too - especially for content consumption.

A display needs to identify as HDR capable to be served high quality 4k video streams. So an HDR400 display in HDR mode isnt going to provide anything close to an actual HDR experience (hilariously low contrast, peak highlight brightness etc) *but* video streaming will still look markedly better since the HD400 monitor will be served proper high bitrate 4k video w/wide gamut rec2020 color vs lower bitrate 4k video with rec.709 color. Then HDR600 will get the same higher quality 4k rec2020 video stream and have enough brightness to map colors more accurately and clip fewer highlight details.

Essentially for content consumption fake HDR is dramatically better than SDR - partly due to the monitor hardware and party due to access to higher quality 4k video streams.

Even if it ends up having no IPS glow? If HUB doesn't get a sample to review, I think we'll know it's not going to be that great.

27" is too small for 4K but it is interesting to see low end FALD options appear on the market.

27" is too small for 4K but it is interesting to see low end FALD options appear on the market.

Not too small at all. The higher ppi is noticeable compared to 32" panels. I may migrate to a 32" from my current 28" sometime soon, but that's a common misconception. I just want more of my fov filled at the same distance.

Man they really working hard to make this lineup as confusing as possible. I wonder if this model is basically just a replacement for the PG32UQ with maybe a slightly different controller or something.

Here's ASUS's website page: https://rog.asus.com/monitors/32-to-34-inches/rog-swift-pg32uqr-model/ that confirms 155 max refresh rate.

The specs to the PG32UQ look identical apart from the 155 Hz refresh rate.

Man they really working hard to make this lineup as confusing as possible. I wonder if this model is basically just a replacement for the PG32UQ with maybe a slightly different controller or something.

Here's ASUS's website page: https://rog.asus.com/monitors/32-to-34-inches/rog-swift-pg32uqr-model/ that confirms 155 max refresh rate.

The specs to the PG32UQ look identical apart from the 155 Hz refresh rate.
PG32UQ also has a 155Hz refresh option as a panel OD.
I think it's just a minor update possibly with some components change.

PG32UQ also has a 155Hz refresh option as a panel OD.
I think it's just a minor update possibly with some components change.
I see. Seems similar to the ASUS PG278Q vs QR update from the past where nobody could figure out what the difference was.

Hey guys i just found this forum with this awesome thread.
Looks like i finaly found some screen enthusiasts. :)
I was able to "order" and pay for the ASUS Predator x32FP here in Germany. They said launch will be 30.06.
But apparently stock is late, like so many things right now.

I was also looking for an Samsung G8 but first reviews look like HDR is not that superb.
And from the new LG Ultragear i did not hear alot.

Which was pointless given that the panel was too slow for even 144hz.
Panel is fine for 144Hz, no idea where this is coming from.
155 though is such a minor upgrade that it didn't make any sense to use it in this mode really - especially since it removes options between 60 and 155.

Panel is fine for 144Hz, no idea where this is coming from.
155 though is such a minor upgrade that it didn't make any sense to use it in this mode really - especially since it removes options between 60 and 155.

The OD mode is so ridiculous. Like, I get why, in theory, more Hz is better... but past 120Hz, it's diminishing returns.

Of all the things to complain about, 144Hz (or even 120Hz) being "too low" does not seem reasonable.

Nowhere in that review does he say that the panel is "too slow for 144Hz".
Also this review used the OD 155Hz mode which makes little sense all things considering.
The video is literally titled "Why so slow?".

Best it can do with no overshoot is 21% compliance at 155Hz with 17ms light to dark. It can only do 60% compliance at 120Hz. That's terrible.

Last edited:
The video is literally titled "Why so slow?".

Best it can do with no overshoot is 21% compliance at 155Hz with 17ms light to dark. It can only do 60% compliance at 120Hz. That's terrible.
The video is titled to click bait you into viewing it. And it doesn't say what you've said either still.
The panel is completely fine at 144Hz. There is basically no visible overshoot and zero smearing. It is slow only in comparison to other options - which while faster have a heap of their own issues.
Also it's been a year now and this panel is still the best one in 4K/144/32" IMO. The choice is mostly between an Asus and MSI/Viewsonic models with the latter using a more stable but less feature rich SOCs.

The video is titled to click bait you into viewing it. And it doesn't say what you've said either still.
The panel is completely fine at 144Hz. There is basically no visible overshoot and zero smearing. It is slow only in comparison to other options - which while faster have a heap of their own issues.
Also it's been a year now and this panel is still the best one in 4K/144/32" IMO. The choice is mostly between an Asus and MSI/Viewsonic models with the latter using a more stable but less feature rich SOCs.
There's no click bait. If the majority of a panel can't transition in 6.9ms, it's not a 144hz panel. Period.

There is a UFO test at 11:27 where you can see the smearing...

Whether it's the best currently is debatable, but it's still bad. The M32U for example is miles faster. Also, whether you can see smearing is completely subjective and irrelevent.

Back